FZ6 Fuel Economy

prowler1

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 07 Fazer, I ride a mix bag, never seem to get away from a minimum of 50 mpg. On long trips at about 70 mph, 55 mpg. I can go 200 miles before filing up, a bit long for sitting between stops, depends on the scenery.

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Check out fuelly.com I use it to track my MPG on my FZ6, I usually get around 50 mpg if I'm out on the highway.

Here is the link that should show you all of the FZ6's on the website. Yamaha FZ6 MPG Reports | Fuelly

Oh, and by the way, anybody not using fuelly, I highly recommend it. :thumbup:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I havent had the bike too long, but the first two tanks I went through I got between 42-44mpg.

Not as good as the 52mpg I was getting with my Ninja 650R, but the bike is so far superior that the loss in mileage is well worth it if you ask me..

HPTuner

Reaction score
Visit site
Just as an update, being as I've owned my bike now for several weeks. Went on a quick weekend mountain trip last weekend and was really surprised at how much fuel mileage fell off while riding briskly on Interstate. The few hundred miles I had ridden around home was resulting in 52-54 mpgs, so I was kinda surprised when I jumped out on the superslab and mileage dropped to 42 mpgs. The remainder of the trip, I watched the mileage vs. conditions. My bike seems to be very rpm dependent. Cruising above about 6200 rpm, mileage drops off quickly.When I was cruising through the twisties, mileage went back to low 50 mpgs. I'm not complaining, I'm totally happy with the bike, just making notes.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Same here. I average about 48 to and from work, but riding the interstate mileage does drop off a bit - but we're also running 7000+ rpm :)

BTW, HTPuner, you're from Southeast Ga, you don't own a GTP do you? I have an HPTuner I use to tune mine. Nice to see another GA boy in here. Next time you head up to N. Ga, give us a shout :)

suter

Reaction score
Visit site
The few hundred miles I had ridden around home was resulting in 52-54 mpgs, so I was kinda surprised when I jumped out on the superslab and mileage dropped to 42 mpgs.

Why did you find it surprising? You need to feed the engine more when you expect from it more than minimum. Same with cars. Prius get pretty bad MPG when driven in the track.

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you elaborate on the differences between the FZ6 and the Ninja 650R? I was considering a Ninja 650R when I found an irresistible deal on a FZ6.

I havent had the bike too long, but the first two tanks I went through I got between 42-44mpg.

Not as good as the 52mpg I was getting with my Ninja 650R, but the bike is so far superior that the loss in mileage is well worth it if you ask me..

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
My average is sitting at 48 right now, over 2500 miles. My high was 51mpg. Last tank (and my low) was 45, but it's been pretty cold in the mornings, so it's been warming up 5-10 minutes a day.

Sure can't complain about that for how fun it is!

HPTuner

Reaction score
Visit site
Why did you find it surprising? You need to feed the engine more when you expect from it more than minimum. Same with cars. Prius get pretty bad MPG when driven in the track.

I wasn't really surprised that it did drop off, just the narrow window in which it did so. I'm well aware of what it takes to feed an HP engine as that is my hobby,from round track to drags to truck pulls.:D

HPTuner

Reaction score
Visit site
Same here. I average about 48 to and from work, but riding the interstate mileage does drop off a bit - but we're also running 7000+ rpm :)

BTW, HTPuner, you're from Southeast Ga, you don't own a GTP do you? I have an HPTuner I use to tune mine. Nice to see another GA boy in here. Next time you head up to N. Ga, give us a shout :)

No, I don't own a GTP (unless you count my daughters Grand Prix GTP:D). And I've never had the opportunity to use HPTuner or EFILive, but I've threatened to do so to tune on my Silverado! LOL! I stay too busy as it is with my engine building hobby, not enough time to RIDE! Last weekend was a spur of the moment trip to Maggie Valley and back home, but I did get in 850 miles. My FZ6 sport tourer did well! And I will holler next time so maybe we can get a few together.:thumbup:

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like I settled for 39-40, even tried resettig the computer. But I drive to work in the 70-90mph zone, and something's gotta move the damn thing :)

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
im gettin 44-47, +1 on the front sprocket and alot of highway riding, usually I chill at 70-80mph but I am not shy of the rev limiter, so I guess i take it easy but i have my moments ;)

davec719

Reaction score
Visit site
I average around 60 mpg. Have owned her for almost 6 years. Ride conservatively for the most part. My worst mpg (US) was 53 mpg and best is 66 mpg.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2007 faired, Just checked it tonight, getting about 47 MPG's. I think it was a bit lower before the NGK iridium plugs, almost 11,000 miles on the clock.. Motul 5100 semi synthetic.

90% taking it easy around town, 10% hot dogging it, no highways..

Next oil chane I think I'm going to either Motul 7100 or 300v

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As per my sig, I'm averaging 45MPG(US) or 54MPG(Imp) - BUT, I have just put Motul 7100 fully synthetic oil (from the previous owners Shell Advance petroleum based), NGK Iridium plugs and a K&N HiFlow airfilter in - and am halfway through the tank.

I'm hoping for a bit better!

My bike is my commuter, so I try to be fairly economical, changing into 6th on straight stretches in town etc so now it should be breathing easier, with better spark (?) and lower friction (?) I'm eager to see the results!

Cheers,
Rick

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
As per my sig, I'm averaging 45MPG(US) or 54MPG(Imp) - BUT, I have just put Motul 7100 fully synthetic oil (from the previous owners Shell Advance petroleum based), NGK Iridium plugs and a K&N HiFlow airfilter in - and am halfway through the tank.

I'm hoping for a bit better!

My bike is my commuter, so I try to be fairly economical, changing into 6th on straight stretches in town etc so now it should be breathing easier, with better spark (?) and lower friction (?) I'm eager to see the results!

Cheers,
Rick

Let us know what you get, once you fill up!! I am very interested to see if all that helps or not.