Fz6 4 piston caliper upgrade from 2 piston caliper

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anybody know if 2008 fz6 4 piston calipers will mount on fz6 forks 2008 that came with 2 piston calipers?

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
looks to be that my bike is the european model....

the distance between the fork holes where the calipers mount center to center is 85mm
disc is about 300mm
from the holesto the center of the fork is 40mm

and the S2 bike goes like this

the distance between the fork holes where the calipers mount center to center is 100mm
disc is about 290mm
from the holes to the center of the fork is 46mm

I guess I have the calipers used in fz6 older models....

any thought on improving my brakes?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep 04-06 FZ6'sa only have 2 pot calipers, 07-09, have 4 pot calipers... same as ones used on the pre radial calipers used on the R6, and lots of other Yamaha;s...

Yes, the pinchbolt gap is different from 04-06, and 07-09 FZ6's....so the only way to fit 4 pot calipers, is to either use an adapter plate to mount the calipers...which you would need to get fabricated yourself, or to change your bike to R6 forks, or 07-09 FZ6 forks...and get some R6 or FZ6 (07-09) calipers.

I got the 07-09 FZ6 forks, and a set of R6 brake calipers of an 03 R6...

4 pot calipers do pull the fizzer up a lot quicker!

But if you dont want to go to all that trouble, get some race pads, and some braided lines, both these additions do sharpen braking with the 2 pot calipers appreciably.

:thumbup:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
any thought on improving my brakes?

Also, go out and try to improve your braking.
Are you using your stock brakes to their fullest potential?
Probably not.
There are a lot of good resources online about improving your braking.
Lee Parks' book,Total Control, has an excellent chapter on braking that I'm currently reading. Now that the parking lots have thawed out, I'm going to do some practice drills based on his braking technique.

Not a sermon, just a thought.....:thumbup:

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, go out and try to improve your braking.
Are you using your stock brakes to their fullest potential?
Probably not.
There are a lot of good resources online about improving your braking.
Lee Parks' book,Total Control, has an excellent chapter on braking that I'm currently reading. Now that the parking lots have thawed out, I'm going to do some practice drills based on his braking technique.

Not a sermon, just a thought.....:thumbup:

I'll go ahead and read about braking, but mean while, I've done some really hard braking till the point of the brakes smelling, and loosing the lever...
not funnt at all!!!

I just ordered some EBC brake pads!
I guess I'll go ahead and get some ss lines to...
Thanks for the info!!

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep 04-06 FZ6'sa only have 2 pot calipers, 07-09, have 4 pot calipers... same as ones used on the pre radial calipers used on the R6, and lots of other Yamaha;s...

Yes, the pinchbolt gap is different from 04-06, and 07-09 FZ6's....so the only way to fit 4 pot calipers, is to either use an adapter plate to mount the calipers...which you would need to get fabricated yourself, or to change your bike to R6 forks, or 07-09 FZ6 forks...and get some R6 or FZ6 (07-09) calipers.

I got the 07-09 FZ6 forks, and a set of R6 brake calipers of an 03 R6...

4 pot calipers do pull the fizzer up a lot quicker!

But if you dont want to go to all that trouble, get some race pads, and some braided lines, both these additions do sharpen braking with the 2 pot calipers appreciably.

about making the adapter plate.... have you seen this?? where?
thanks!!!!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
about making the adapter plate.... have you seen this?? where?
thanks!!!!

I do recall seeing it done somewhere, may of even been on here...a fair while back!

Might be time to do a very comprehensive search....

From my research, the adaptor plates are not made by a regular manufacturer, well not that i could find on the internet...but surely, this adaptor plate has been done before, would not be that hard with the right equipment and know how...

If i had either, i would of done so, rather than change my forks!

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
This was for the R6 fork conversion, not sure if it'd work the same way. The reason the R6 fork conversion needed shims is that the FZ6 tripple is a bit wider apart than the '03-04 R6.
So, if '03-04 R6 calipers are direct bolt-ons to 07+ FZ6..than these shims should work for the '04-06 FZ6.

McMASTER-CARR
Part number 93475A280 pack of 50 spacres for the calipers $4.07

You can try contacting ant mb here on the forum to see if he still has some leftover he'd be willing to part with.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
McMASTER-CARR
Part number 93475A280 pack of 50 spacres for the calipers $4.07

You can try contacting ant mb here on the forum to see if he still has some leftover he'd be willing to part with.

Now, where was that info when i was looking for it!!!! Lol! :D

Oh, for the R6 calipers.....oh well!

Last edited:

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
You probably have the FZ6 non S2, in europe you have the basic and S2 FZ6. The basic uses the same fork as the pre '07 FZ6.

I've don't a lot of research on this issue, cause I really needed 4pots.
And because I already spend a LOT on the Andreani cartridge kit, I was "forced" to keep the standard forks.

There a NO affordable calipers which are bold on.
Beringer has a kit and Harrison BILLET do so as well 90% sure they have a fitting model. But they run £667.40 on the Harrisons and Beringer are 550euro's a piece ...

The best advice I can give is.
Get a set of used 4pot calipers on e-bay like Brembo (They don't have to be Yamaha ones, the bleu dot are quite difficult to make an adapter for) and construct some adapter plates.
You need to know someone or be able to do it yourself, a company will ask a lot ... and you'll still have to draw the design.

As we speak mine are getting finished, totaly custom. I'm very lucky I found a guy who does this as a hobby and has the machines in his garage. Here's a pic.

http://picasaweb.google.be/lh/photo/AEh7LcgIG1HD-xlCCUKpdA?feat=directlink

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
You probably have the FZ6 non S2, in europe you have the basic and S2 FZ6. The basic uses the same fork as the pre '07 FZ6.

I've don't a lot of research on this issue, cause I really needed 4pots.
And because I already spend a LOT on the Andreani cartridge kit, I was "forced" to keep the standard forks.

There a NO affordable calipers which are bold on.
Beringer has a kit and Harrison BILLET do so as well 90% sure they have a fitting model. But they run £667.40 on the Harrisons and Beringer are 550euro's a piece ...

The best advice I can give is.
Get a set of used 4pot calipers on e-bay like Brembo (They don't have to be Yamaha ones, the bleu dot are quite difficult to make an adapter for) and construct some adapter plates.
You need to know someone or be able to do it yourself, a company will ask a lot ... and you'll still have to draw the design.

As we speak mine are getting finished, totaly custom. I'm very lucky I found a guy who does this as a hobby and has the machines in his garage. Here's a pic.

Picasa-webalbums - Speedy

YES.. I have the basic fz6... and yes I have the same forks you have..

WOW.....and that plate is for which calipers? are the fz6 s2 4 pot calipers same as r6 calipers???

Is there a posibility for me to get some of this plates done????

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

WOW.....and that plate is for which calipers? are the fz6 s2 4 pot calipers same as r6 calipers???

or you could upgrade to the r6 forks and then get the 07+ brakes.. :thumbup:

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site

The guy does al his work by hand, no CNC ... so reproducing those will cost and I don't think he will like to do it ...
Plus I live in Belgium ...
Probably best to do a search localy.

If you can get a R6 front end cheap ... get it ... I'm not a 100% fan of the R6 swap, but it's a very good option. Over here those forks just cost to much, plus you "need" to have them rebuild to suit the FZ6 if you want the use the full potential.

The caliper I used are some FZ1 2007 calipers. Same as the non radial R1, non radial R6, FZ6 S2, etz ... exelllent monoblok calipers for a fair price.

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never noticed a lack with my 05 brakes, thanks a lot for making me feel brake envy. I do like the braided line and race pads idea. Thanks

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
I have never noticed a lack with my 05 brakes, thanks a lot for making me feel brake envy. I do like the braided line and race pads idea. Thanks

On the street they where good enough, on the track they wheren't.
The stock 2pot aren't that bad at all, some braided lines and good pads (EBC HH) go a long way :thumbup:.

But still even on the street it's nice to be able to brake hard with only 2 fingers. But I wouldn't spend so much time and cash on the brakes if I would only ride street ...