Fz6 1/4 mile vid. On board and spectator view (not me)

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Was looking up some Fizzer vids, and this one was pretty cool

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZnT4u0cuyk&feature=related"]YouTube - 07 FZ6 at Milan Dragway ( On Board )[/ame]

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
This would be my video :D there is a thread with all these videos on already..it was a fun day :thumbup:

Looks like you short-shifted 1st and 2nd there Tolgatt... you had about 1000rpm more to go in 1st and 500rpm more in second. Probably could have shaved a tenth or two off your 1/4 time.:thumbup:

Nice job on controlling the launch though. The guy in the next lane didn't know what the hell he was doing!

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you short-shifted 1st and 2nd there Tolgatt... you had about 1000rpm more to go in 1st and 500rpm more in second. Probably could have shaved a tenth or two off your 1/4 time.:thumbup:

Nice job on controlling the launch though. The guy in the next lane didn't know what the hell he was doing!

thank you :) but ideal shifting for FZ6 is at 12000 rpm...12000rpm shifting carries over the peak torque to the next gear perfectly however i did only do it on from first to second ,,,from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th i was a little bit sloppy,,,i knew that the buell screwed up and i was just enjoying the ride :)

here is the original thread with the video of my personal best ( 11.86 ) and times for the other runs :

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-videos/7148-me-my-fz6-hit-drag-strip-first-time.html

i cant wait to hit it again next season..never had a chance to go back this year due to the knee surgery that i had

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
thank you :) but ideal shifting for FZ6 is at 12000 rpm...12000rpm shifting carries over the peak torque to the next gear perfectly however i did only do it on from first to second ,,,from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th i was a little bit sloppy,,,i knew that the buell screwed up and i was just enjoying the ride :)

here is the original thread with the video of my personal best ( 11.86 ) and times for the other runs :

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-videos/7148-me-my-fz6-hit-drag-strip-first-time.html

i cant wait to hit it again next season..never had a chance to go back this year due to the knee surgery that i had

Interesting. Is that 12k mark on the stock map or with a particular PC map that you have?

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. Is that 12k mark on the stock map or with a particular PC map that you have?

i think it doesnt matter which map you use,i think it is the way of the fz6 gearing setup....

Pete aka Hellgate brought this information up when he got his bike dynotuned and i started paying attention to the outputs of the dyno results and every single one of them the torque and horsepower rapidly increases up to 12k rpm and its all downhill from there..

you kinda feel that when you are accelerating too,,,it flies up until 12k rpm,,,of course it keeps going as you see in the video over that too but basically if you shift up at 12k you will be accelerating more with the next gear..

if you search in the forum probably you could find the earlier info on this subject,,,thats what im gonna do just to refresh my memory :)

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
i think it doesnt matter which map you use,i think it is the way of the fz6 gearing setup....

Pete aka Hellgate brought this information up when he got his bike dynotuned and i started paying attention to the outputs of the dyno results and every single one of them the torque and horsepower rapidly increases up to 12k rpm and its all downhill from there..

you kinda feel that when you are accelerating too,,,it flies up until 12k rpm,,,of course it keeps going as you see in the video over that too but basically if you shift up at 12k you will be accelerating more with the next gear..

if you search in the forum probably you could find the earlier info on this subject,,,thats what im gonna do just to refresh my memory :)

I'll let you find it and put the link up here, I'm lazy:D

So long as the curve is still increasing after 12k, I still stand by the ideology that running all the way to redline is the best way to do it. It is not the slope of the curve that matters at that point, but the raw value that is important. Short-shifting is normally only beneficial in torquey motors, not high revving horse power motors like the FZ6.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
i was under the impression that when you lose power, shift? sounds reasonable to me

That's my point, we would need to see the power curve to justify the early shift. If the torque curve or HP curve is merely flat, but not decreasing, then run it to redline then shift. If it does begin to decrease, then shift early.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
See attached PDF file that is an article on the 2004 FZ6 with dyno graph in bottom right corner. Looks like HP is increasing all the way to redline except a tiny flat spot at the end-point. There is no point on this graph where HP is decreasing. By this logic, it makes more sense to run the bike to redline and then shift.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
See attached PDF file that is an article on the 2004 FZ6 with dyno graph in bottom right corner. Looks like HP is increasing all the way to redline except a tiny flat spot at the end-point. There is no point on this graph where HP is decreasing. By this logic, it makes more sense to run the bike to redline and then shift.

i wish i had done couple more drag strip days to compare all these ideas , you might be right and it sounds like it makes sense to go all the way to the redline..
did you realize in the dyno chart that you posted,it cuts off at 12k rpm ? thats because max power is gained at 12k rpm..
here is hellgate's thread link for his dyno tune experience :

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/6086-pc3-custom-tuned-dyno-results.html

my 12k rpm theory was based on this thread....and instead of drawing a flat curve after 12k rpm it seems logical to draw an accelerating power curve by shifting up at 12k rpm..
am i wrong?

unfortunately the weather is getting cold and the strip days are over for the season,,anyone living in a warm climate go do some testing :thumbup:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
i wish i had done couple more drag strip days to compare all these ideas , you might be right and it sounds like it makes sense to go all the way to the redline..
did you realize in the dyno chart that you posted,it cuts off at 12k rpm ? thats because max power is gained at 12k rpm..
here is hellgate's thread link for his dyno tune experience :

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/6086-pc3-custom-tuned-dyno-results.html

my 12k rpm theory was based on this thread....and instead of drawing a flat curve after 12k rpm it seems logical to draw an accelerating power curve by shifting up at 12k rpm..
am i wrong?

unfortunately the weather is getting cold and the strip days are over for the season,,anyone living in a warm climate go do some testing :thumbup:

I see what you are saying now that I've seen this other dyno graph.

If you look at Hellgate's dyno, it DOES decrease starting around 12800-13000rpm. At this point, it DOES make sense to shift before the redline. If it maintained a nice flat curve or kept increasing instead, you would run it to redline. Only in this instance where the power actually DECREASES would you "short shift". Good job finding this reference point with the full rpm range on dyno. I didn't notice the one I put only goes up to 12k, good eye:thumbup: