FZ1N Naked Headlight Project

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Headlight project completed and it is sick! :rockon:

The FZ1N kit comes with a bracket as I've said before, but it does not fit natively with the FZ6 so it needs some modifications. Pics below show the following... A piece of the bracket needs to be removed because the FZ ignition assembly interferes... I picked up a pair of fork mounts to support the FZ1N bracket, but hand to cut the arms down and drill a new hole... The lower part of the FZ1N bracket needs and additional cross piece to mount to the fizzer frame where the front brake line is secured. I added rubber spacers to push the bottom of the bracket away from the frame, otherwise there is some interference.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finished product...

Still have some painting to do before spring. All of the black plastics will be painted flat black to match the frame. Tank, grab rails and front fender stay red (for now). Colorrite has the matching color and it arrived this week.

Saki GT

Reaction score
Visit site
Finished product...

Still have some painting to do before spring. All of the black plastics will be painted flat black to match the frame. Tank, grab rails and front fender stay red (for now). Colorrite has the matching color and it arrived this week.

Hi, just so I'm perfectly clear on this, did you start with this (faired headlight):

fz6fazer.jpg

And finish with this (naked headlight):

Yamaha_FZ6.jpg

?

Thanks,

VWci

Reaction score
Visit site
you did a very good job...it is very beautiful. I wonder
where you got the radiator faring? It suits well to your bike...:thumbup:

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you did a very good job...it is very beautiful. I wonder
where you got the radiator faring? It suits well to your bike...:thumbup:

Thank you. I picked them up here: Caches radiateur tuning pour Fazer FZ6 - 04/06

I also needed to modify them a bit. Cut about 6 inches off of each to keep them from interfering with my knees. I also painted them with paint color-matched to the frame (from colorrite.com).

2999720521_75240a7e07_o.jpg

sirxander

sirxander
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello. I am brand new to this forum. However I own a 2005 FZ6-S and wanted to convert it to a naked style such as yours Tom5796. But I was wondering if the headlight kit that you used could also be used on mine because I have the round speedo. Also if you have any suggestions as to a less expensive alernative I am all ears. And do apologize if this has been asked before and i am just unaware. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, haven't been around here much lately. House building, wedding plan, work and such. Anyway, I don't know if the headlight will work with pre 07 speedos. Certainly the speedo cover won't work as it's made for the rectangular model. The mounting bracket I don't know. If the the pre 07 speedo has the same mount pattern as the 07- then you can get it attached (but it won't have the pretty cover of course). You'd have to look at both to compare.

Wiring is not plug and play with the FZ1N kit. The mating connector from the harness to the bike is different. So you have to choose which connector to modify, either the harness or the bike. I chose the harness. Just cut the connector off the FZ6 harness (with 6 inches of wire left) and cut off the connector on the FZ1N harness. Figured out which wire was which and soldered the FZ6 connector to the FZ1N harness. Then it will plug to the bike. Of course, you do not have to touch the speedo portion of the wiring because you'll use the old speedo. Hope that helps.

Olegator

Reaction score
Visit site
did the conversion yesturday....took a while, mostly because I had to fab up two brackets. I did not use those clamps from FlyinCycle that someone posted you had to get : /. They did not fit at all, even if you cut them.....
So I just made up a simple braket to hold up the top of the base for the FZ1N headlight, seems to be working fine.
Still trying to figure out where to mount the horn...any suggestions? :)

Will take some pictures and probably start a thread on this when I'll take everything apart again to cut and trim the harness, and to use locktite on the bolts.

Twitch

Elite Pimp
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this seems like a dumb question but i bought the fz1 kit from burlington and im putting it on next month when i get home. I see alot of people said you need to buy fork clamps or brackets cause theres not everything you need in the kit. Could someone who has done this mod point me in the right direction as to wat else i will need besides wats in the Burlington fz1 kit ?

Olegator

Reaction score
Visit site
I did my conversion without the brackets...just mount the horn someplace else and use the mounting spot that's left for locating the top part of the headlight bracket