FZ1 Handle bar install

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
05 FZ6- My right side control cluster hits the top of the gas tank. I have tried rotating the bars and the cluster in several positions. It rubbed some paint off the tank. Anyone else have this problem?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
05 FZ6- My right side control cluster hits the top of the gas tank. I have tried rotating the bars and the cluster in several positions. It rubbed some paint off the tank. Anyone else have this problem?

No. If the bar and controls are rotated properly, you should have 1/4" of clearance at full lock on either side. Turn the bar all the way to the right, loosen right control and top clamps and rotate until you have enough clearance.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

You dont have the controls too far to the left or right do you?

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Post a picture at full lock if you can't get it to clear.

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
The bars are too close to the tank, they barely clear no matter how I rotate the bars and control cluster. Also, the position of the bars to get clearance is ****ed more forward and higher than ideal. I do like the bars better than stock but they arent perfect. Thanks for the help but I am not going to give the bars any more thought. I have too many other bikes that need attention right now.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If the they are still hitting after moving every-wich-a-way then somethings not right with the bars, maybe they are bent or something else is messed up because if they are positioned right you should have at the max a 1/4" of clearance on both sides, but if your not worried about it then....oh well....

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
I can get the bars to clear but they definately are close enough to rub. Remember that the tank floats from side to side. It could be that the control cluster is different between years or the bars are slightly different. If not and everything is the same the bars are tilted too forward when positioned to clear. I like the bars to be level not the tips pointing up. Like I said, its better than stock and only $35 but its not the ideal setup. Thanks for the help.

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! What are you gonna do to cover up the back of speedo? Going with some sort of fly screen?
And I assume you're gonna put bar ends on? (really helps with the vibration)

I have the FZ8 meter cover, but I don't want the side headlight covers from the FZ8, so I'm figuring that out ;) And I hadn't put the ends on yet, I have one bar end mirror and one stock bar end, and the bar filled with lead pellets. Haven't gotten to ride at all though. I just got it done, and it started snowing here last night.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the Fz1 bar mod today. And i liked it.
But best thing that i liked is,
it fitted directly without drilling any holes.
The hole for the left switch was already there on the bar like a miracle. :cheer:

Right switch didn't need any holes, it didn't have a ridge. Just screws hold it.

So the part number of the bar is:

2D1-26111-01

I bought it from boats.net.
Good service, that i can recommend.

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered a FZ1 bar and it seems to be a good bit darker then the stock bar. Did I screw up or am I to picky:confused:? ordered for an 07 I think it was.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered a FZ1 bar and it seems to be a good bit darker then the stock bar. Did I screw up or am I to picky:confused:? ordered for an 07 I think it was.

Yup.. you're too picky :BLAA:
Yes, it's slightly darker than stock.

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks I was afraid of that:banghead:. I may have tried the FZ6r bar instead probably going to want/need risers with the FZ1 bar. And most of the risers I'm not the biggest fan but I will get it put on this week and see what it feels like, if i get it on before it snows. It was not even 40 on Sat. when I went out.

Last edited:

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
I took off the Renthal Medium rise bars and put on the FZ-1 bars last night myself. I have no risers on them and the bike feels more controllable. I guess it is a weight distribution thing over the front wheel. Now I need to find those little pin things that are in the switches so I can replace the ones I dremeled off and drill the new bars.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I need to find those little pin things that are in the switches so I can replace the ones I dremeled off and drill the new bars.

Totally unnecessary. Just tighten the screws that hold controls in place well (DON'T over-tighten!) and they will never move.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
The light switch totally is locked down. The throttle side not so much. The bars are really great. I may add a riser at some point. Now on to making the seat more comfy for longer rides. My poor nard is getting tired of being pressed against the tank.

Last edited:

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Do the FZ-1 Handlebars have the threaded inserts to use the factory bar end weights that come on our FZ6-'s?

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Do the FZ-1 Handlebars have the threaded inserts to use the factory bar end weights that come on our FZ6-'s?

Only if you order the right ones:confused:. My first order did not have the inserts, so had to return them and order the correct bars.

Can't remember, but I think I quoted the part numbers in my 'FZ1 Bars Install' thread if you want to search for it.