FZ1 bars installed

trailblazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn it, my stock bar end balancers have their bolts corroded with rusts, this is perhaps the only deterrents for me to 'upgrade' the bars...any ways to remove the balancers despite the rusted bolt?

troyw

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking at either Flanders narrow drag bar or some cheap black drag
bars from JC Whitney that are 7/8 inch diameter. Then, I could cut them if I need to, and order up some universal vibration damping bar ends I saw in the Dennis kirk catalog. Wouldn't that work as well? I'd love the bars to be black instead of gray.
Is there any further report on how this works? Did it help hand/wrist pain? If it didn't, I may be going back to cruisers. This is becoming an increasing problem for me, along with weird hip cramping and back/neck pain. The latter being a full-face helmet related issue for the most part.
More fun than cruisers, but not comfortable thus far for me. Bummer...:rolleyes:

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
I switched to the FZ1 bars a couple of months ago and I love them. Looks better, handles better and easy to do, even for a total mechanical bozo like me! Always felt like I was riding my grand-dad's three speed bicycle with the other bars.

troyw

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Alan, are they really wider than the stock bar?
I really don't want wider on a bike like this. What about hand pain? Did it help if you had it in the first place?
Really, REALLY need to know.

- Troy

troyw

Reaction score
Visit site
The bars on JC Whitney... You'd have to make sure the center is just over 7 inches. The measurements seem all messed up on the JC Whitney site. I'd call beforehand. I would like mine in black too, but I have a great powder coater just up the road here in Jasper, GA. Might get the triple tree top done too. What reall grinds my gears is how they put a nice black triple tree top on the FZ6r, and removeable risers so you'd have a choice, like the FZ1. Oh, but no, not on the FZ6, the more expensive of the 6's. What the heck is that about? Anyway, I've got a set of the FZ1 bars coming. I ordered some anti-vibration bar ends too, just in case I don't like the extra width and I want to cut them down.

- T.

(Answering my own question from a couple above, in case anyone is interested...)

WeWonItThreeTimes

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm... I seriously don't get this. You guys say you re-use all the original parts from the old handlebar. I switched to the FZ1-bar a few weeks ago (bought it directly from a Yammi dealer), and no way that I can use the stock bar-ends. They just don't fit, since there isn't any threads in the FZ1-bar...

how did you managed to deal with that then? i've got the same problem right at this moment... should have read that thread before i started....

is it ok to ride without the bar-ends?? As Capo79 said, no threads in mine FZ1 handlebar. Bought it at Yamaha as well.

Any help much apreciated asap

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
It could be the year-model of the bars you bought. Either that or they sent you the wrong bars completely. I would suggest confirming this with whomever you ordered from.

I know that the 2006 FZ1 bars are threaded.

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
I just put some black drag bars on my bike, so far I like the position. They didn't have the threaded inserts, so I milled the weld off the stock bars, and welded them into the drag bars. There is a little problem with the throttle side just touching the tank and full lock, haven't decided what to do about it yet.

WeWonItThreeTimes

Reaction score
Visit site
It could be the year-model of the bars you bought. Either that or they sent you the wrong bars completely. I would suggest confirming this with whomever you ordered from.

I know that the 2006 FZ1 bars are threaded.

i dont think thats the issue, the threads should be there, otherwise how would i install bar-ends? unless there are some special bar-ends?? but looking here Throttlemeister - Applications Chart/Price List, they are all the same. Maybe there's a way to remowe the threads from the old bar??

WeWonItThreeTimes

Reaction score
Visit site
i dont think thats the issue, the threads should be there, otherwise how would i install bar-ends? unless there are some special bar-ends?? but looking here Throttlemeister - Applications Chart/Price List, they are all the same. Maybe there's a way to remowe the threads from the old bar??

Ok, got it sorted at the end, had to put threads inside the bar. Took me f$*%in ages to get it done.

So,thougt all is good, but my PUIG windshield wont fit, it hits the brake fluid tank!!! It can be adjusted so it fits, but then i wont see anything in my right mirror!!!. So now moving without shield and thinking about some solution.

Must agree, its more agressive but You need to get use it. Once you will it feels great