Fuel Pump Rebuild?

coffee_brake

Reaction score
Visit site
Picked up a neglected but running 04 FZ6. Worst rust I've ever seen in a gas tank, there must be two pounds of it in there. Fuel was pouring out the front top of the tank at every stop where dozens of bubbles under the paint were bursting and seeping fuel.

Ebay yielded a decent tank and you fine folks already showed me how to get the fuel pump out. My first time removing a fuel pump but I've done a LOT of carburetor rebuilds in the past.
The rust is all over the fuel pump and the links that show the photos of how to get at the screen/filter aren't working.

The bike was running terribly, shutting off when coming to a stop and very odd idle. The throttle position sensor recall has supposedly been done--twice--on this bike but I'm not sure because the shops that supposedly did the work are crap.

Of possible importance is that the shop broke off the nib end that sticks out of the fuel pump that goes to the injectors, and patched it with a short length of regular (not FI) fuel line and a couple hose clamps. What slobs. No leaks at that jerry-rigged junction, but again, I'm not proficient at FI bikes so I'm mentioning it in case it matters.

So here are the questions:
Will that much rust have ruined the pump?
I see pump rebuild kits on Ebay, good name-brand stuff. Can I use them?
Can somebody show me another photo of how to get at that screen?

MANY THANKS!!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With the broken nub, I agree, just as a safety issue, I'd buy an entire used pump (or new) and simply replace it.

FYI, the screen doesn't come off. "CLR" (rust remover) may dissolve the rust on that filter screen. Hopefully, nothing got past and into the injectors.

Another member got the actual pump from here (for another application, way cheaper than Yamaha):
https://www.highflowfuel.com/ag-131...cycle-scooter-2007-yamaha-fz6s-fazer-efi.html
Probably have to do some searching there, (or find the post here)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't look bad, mostly good reviews, some bad(at the end of reviews).

If the Denso comes with the filter, I'd probably lean towards that.

*The thread on that pump replacement (as I re-call), no issues with fit, modifications, etc for the FZ...

coffee_brake

Reaction score
Visit site
Pump arrived, lots of extra parts. There seriously was no need to take photos, the darn thing just goes in exactly like the old one comes out. The kit has several different filter types, and I had to just fold over the extra of the one that fit the best and stuff it in the housing.

As mentioned in original post, the asshat "mechanics" who went into this bike before broke off the plastic piece between the fuel pump and the line into the injectors, and patched it with a short length of fuel line and the cheapest clamps known to man, so I used better clamps and new line to do the same, and it cracked it more. But it did start the bike easily and idle well till that cludge fix gave way.
Not to worry, I need an elbow that's fit for the pressure of a fuel pump and there's room enough under the tank to make it happen.

So the kit fit up well and did work initially, let's see what happens in a few days when I find that elbow.

jaffabaffa

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys!

I want to disassemble the fuel pump assembly for inspection, and give everything a proper clean afterwards. I already have a replacement mesh retainer for the fuel pump, but I would also like to replace any o-rings that I might encounter - like the fuel pressure regulator o-ring for example. Do you guys know of any other rubber components that might be worth replacing? Also, do you guys know the sizes of these o-rings, so I can order them beforehand?

Thanks!

Si1973

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I have just taken my pump apart to clean the filter. Unfortunately that little o ring and strange plastic outlet pipe "adaptor" fell out when I halved it, and I don't know which way they are supposed to go back in.
I THINK the flanged part of the adaptor was facing towards the bottom part of the pump ( ie, away from the filter end ) and the o ring was on top of it.
But I re-asssmbled that way and the bike wouldn't run past 2 minutes and died if I touched the throttle.
So I took it out and turned it around ( dropping the shoulder into the hole and having the flange towards the filter end ), and again o ring pushed down on top of it. This seemed a more positive fit.
Bike fired up easier and ran better and would accept a little throttle holding at 2 to 3k rpm, would have ran for ever.
Came off the throttle and it slowly died out.
At the end of my tether now.
Bike was running OK up to higher revs where it was hesitating before that, hence the reason for pump inspection.

Any ideas which way round those 2 parts should go.
I don't want to buy a 2nd hand pump 8f it's not knackered and its just the way I re-assemb20220520_072935.jpg20220520_072944.jpg20220520_072736.jpg20220520_072926.jpgled it.20220520_072935.jpg20220520_072944.jpg

FazedOut777

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I have just taken my pump apart to clean the filter. Unfortunately that little o ring and strange plastic outlet pipe "adaptor" fell out when I halved it, and I don't know which way they are supposed to go back in.
I THINK the flanged part of the adaptor was facing towards the bottom part of the pump ( ie, away from the filter end ) and the o ring was on top of it.
But I re-asssmbled that way and the bike wouldn't run past 2 minutes and died if I touched the throttle.
So I took it out and turned it around ( dropping the shoulder into the hole and having the flange towards the filter end ), and again o ring pushed down on top of it. This seemed a more positive fit.
Bike fired up easier and ran better and would accept a little throttle holding at 2 to 3k rpm, would have ran for ever.
Came off the throttle and it slowly died out.
At the end of my tether now.
Bike was running OK up to higher revs where it was hesitating before that, hence the reason for pump inspection.

Any ideas which way round those 2 parts should go.
I don't want to buy a 2nd hand pump 8f it's not knackered and its just the way I re-assembView attachment 74987View attachment 74988View attachment 74989View attachment 74990led it.View attachment 74987View attachment 74988
Hey
Si1973
You ever figure this one out? I have the same problem.

jaffabaffa

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey
Si1973
You ever figure this one out? I have the same problem.

Hey FazedOut777,

Perhaps the last couple of posts in this old topic can provide the answers you're looking for:

FazedOut777

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey FazedOut777,

Perhaps the last couple of posts in this old topic can provide the answers you're looking for:

Boom, that it. Much appreciated!