Fuel MPG Questions

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 05 FZ6 Black/Cerulean with these mods.

1. Scorpion Exhaust
2. K&N Air Filter
3. Airbox Mod
4. C1 & C2 values +24 to each
5. Power Commander III
6. -1 Front Sprocket, +2 Rear Sprocket w/520 Chain

The Bike runs EXCELLENT!

The only problem is I'm getting about 25mpg now and before the modding I was getting 40+mpg.

Do you think that those mods should cost me 15mpg?

Have any of you seen such drastic mileage changes?

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You may not be losing what you think mate.
Someone may correct me on this,but I,m sure that when you install a speedo healer and correct the speed reading ,it will make your odometer read less by the same amount.
The speed and odometer both get their readings from the same source I believe.So if you change one ,you change both.
I did the -1 front and set the speedo healer to -11.1 .
So my speed is correct ,but my ODO is that amount less so I add that to my mileage .
Try that and see what happens and compare it to mile markers on the highway.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone may correct me on this,but I,m sure that when you install a speedo healer and correct the speed reading ,it will make your odometer read less by the same amount.
The speed and odometer both get their readings from the same source I believe.So if you change one ,you change both.
So my speed is correct ,but my ODO is that amount less so I add that to my mileage .

I appreciate your reply to this member. I am trying to digest it all. First off please let me say this: I am not arguing with you or questioning you in any way whatsoever! Sprockets and chains are a science, just like props on boats. (Pitch, diameter, number of blades, speed verses rev's, etc)
To me it would seem that going up the back sprocket and down on the front sproket, as he's done, would in fact decrease mileage, sacrificing a little top end while giving more low end.
I don't understand how the corrected speed can be right and the mileage (odo) be wrong? Per your first paragraph, doesn't the speedo healer affect the input going to both gages? How can the speedo healer correct only one function? I'm just trying to learn, okay? Thanks for being patient with me if you, (or anyone else), can explain this to me I would truly appreciate it, as I'm just grasping for knowledge here.

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put a -1 front sprocket on the bike on Friday. It revs higher, so it would use more fuel? Am I right or does that sound too obvious to be true?

I am putting my speedo healer on very shortly. Will fix all false speed readings. As for using more gas, if it does, it's the price I'll pay for better riding :D

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I put a -1 front sprocket on the bike on Friday. It revs higher, so it would use more fuel?

Short answer is yes. But there is a bit more to consider and most of that has to do with riding style. All things being equal, if you ride at 35 MPH and the bikes turns 4000 rpm w/ out bogging on a flat surface, you will get better millage than the same bike / engine / rider with a smaller sprocket which causes the bike to turn 4500 RPM at 35 mph.

But all things are seldom equal. A rider that keeps the bike in 6th all the time but rides around @ 20MP may not be getting as good a millage as a rider who keeps the bike at the lower side of the power band because the bike runs more efficiency and isn't bogged down.

Maybe you now find yourself in 5th instead of 4th while cruising along at street speeds because that is where the bike feels 'comfortable'. That 1 minus gear may have moved your cruising RPM down even though it bumped the "Fun" rpm up. And on launch, the bike doesn't have to work quite as hard to get moving because of the lower gearing. Depending on your riding style, it may well have increased your actual millage.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Yeah what he said :D... Humpy's off to get an education :eek: , straight over my head :BLAA: