Fuel loss when tank is lifted on hinge?

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I was finishing my winter storage procedure and the last thing I had to do was remove the battery (there’s no power outlet where the bike is being stored.)

My gas tank was full and was combined with fuel stabilizer before I started removing the battery. To get to the battery, I followed the manual (remove inner panels, unscrew 2 bolts, peeled gas tank back). I had someone hold the tank for me while I took out the battery. By the time we were done, I noticed a lot of fuel had gone through the breather tube and leaked on the ground.

Anybody else experience this?

Other question: No matter how full my tank is, it’s guaranteed fuel will be lost everytime I pull back the gas tank?

If both are true, then I learnt something today.

Thanks.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have pulled my gas tank back many times and never experienced that.

T

TheVmaxrider

That's a great question. Noticed that Steph's FZ does the same thing when I am putting it away for the winter. Might just try it with a half tank of gas and top off tank once the battery is out. Of course I will have to allow some leakage in the Spring when removing it from storage.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I have had that happen to me.

I first used to put a jar under the breather tube to catch the fuel. Then I just blocked it with a centre punch and that did the job while I had the tank up.

Steve

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Tipping the tank when full will cause it to leak out the overflow as designed. Had it happen on my '05, now I try to have no more than 1/2 tank when I lift it on my '07.

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike is just rebelling against your winter storage plan, if your not going to burn the fuel im just going to deposit it right here on your shop floor.