Frozen hands!! need new gloves!

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode to school today and it was sunny out but cold in the mid 30's. My hands were frozen after 20 mins of riding on the highway.:eek: I'm wondering which gloves are the best to use in the cold weather for a pretty decent price??

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
If your arms are long enough, just reach down and hold the engine cover for 30 seconds. Reach back up and grip the handlebar tight. It'll feel like you have heated grips for a minute. You'll have to wait until you're going downhill to warm up your right hand.:thumbup:

It's going to warm up real soon. Might want to put off picking up winter gloves until it's getting cold again, or just until they go on closeout in the middle of July. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode to school today and it was sunny out but cold in the mid 30's. My hands were frozen after 20 mins of riding on the highway.:eek: I'm wondering which gloves are the best to use in the cold weather for a pretty decent price??

What are you wearing now? What are you willing/hoping to spend?

I wear my my summer-weight leather A*'s down to about 40. J-Rocket waterproof, slightly insulated Rush-like gloves down to 20-ish. and AGV Tellurides below that.

Think about waterproofing, insulation and cost. You can't have it all... What's important?

Last edited:

kharrel

Reaction score
Visit site
Second the Cortech. Just be sure to have room for glove inserts. Really help when cold out to have room for fingers to move and have inserts.

Also I'm looking to add hand gaurds to reduce wind chill (even if they look funny).

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Second the Cortech. Just be sure to have room for glove inserts. Really help when cold out to have room for fingers to move and have inserts.

Also I'm looking to add hand gaurds to reduce wind chill (even if they look funny).

Forget looking funny. If you find some some that fit (don't impede safe control access), are affordable, and keep your digits warm tell us about them. :popcorn:

tommykaw

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are going to ride in cold weather you need to install heated grips on your bike, Oxford makes a nice set up with (4) heat settings that work pretty well. If you decide to ride in the really cold weather then you need heated gloves made by gerbing, Either way your hands will get cold and you need to keep them warm if you want to ride in confort and safety in the cooler weather..thanks Tom:Flip:

BBW

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up a heated jacket liner and heated gloves from First Gear. Can't say enough good things about them.

For me, living up here in the frozen north, the cost is worth it. Gives me probably a total of three months a year riding time that I wouldn't get otherwise.

Ben

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i tried out some gerbing hybrid heated gloves a while back and they seem quite good

i bought a pair of exo2 heated gloves and they didn't seem to do sweet FA, they've since sent me a replacement, but I've not tried them yet

Nitrag

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure how extreme your riding temps are but try wearing latex (doctor) gloves underneath your riding gloves. You'll be surprised with the difference it makes. :)

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure how extreme your riding temps are but try wearing latex (doctor) gloves underneath your riding gloves. You'll be surprised with the difference it makes. :)

I can second that, I used those doctor's gloves inside my gloves for skiing. When I remove them for the day, my hands are steamy. Your hands have to be dry though before use. Thing is, they're not even that expensive. I've never tried them for biking. I'll have to pick me up some more!

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus one more on the under-glove idea. I use the nitrile (blue) kind that mechanics use as they are a looser fit.;)
Aside from that, I favour Oxford heated grips or 'sissy bars' as I like to call them. Nearly got frostbite one year riding at -10 for 30 mins. It took 45 min for my hands to get feeling back running them under COLD water. It felt almost scalding hot. Taught me a damn good lesson so next day went out and bought a set of Oxfords. Had 'em on every bike since!
If you don't fancy the idea of fitting them, try bar muffs as they detach real easy for the warmer months. of course then you'll look a proper courier!:rockon: