Front tire reversed

Nick329

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a set of Pirelli Angel STs put on about 450 miles ago and discovered today that the front tire is running backwards.

I know that it has to be re-mounted in the correct orientation, but my question is this; should I have the shop order a new tire or would it be ok to just re-mount the current tire since there's only 450 miles on it?

Thanks,
nick

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
If you plan on doing business with the shop in the future, i guess i would just have them correctly orient the tire. If not, i guess it won't hurt to see if you could get a free out of the deal.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a set of Pirelli Angel STs put on about 450 miles ago and discovered today that the front tire is running backwards.

I know that it has to be re-mounted in the correct orientation, but my question is this; should I have the shop order a new tire or would it be ok to just re-mount the current tire since there's only 450 miles on it?

Thanks,
nick

I had a look at my FZ6... Both sides of the front wheel look identical to me (someone chime in if I am wrong)... pull the axel... take the wheel off a flip it around... An ABS model might be different...

Richard

Last edited:

Nick329

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a look at my FZ6... Both sides of the front wheel look identical to me (someone chime in if I am wrong)... pull the axel... take the wheel off a filip it around... An ABS model might be different...

Richard

I had thought about that as well, but I believe the wheels are directional as well. Would like to know for sure.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the 5 spoke slotted wheels then yes they are directional

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Nick329

Reaction score
Visit site
If you plan on doing business with the shop in the future, i guess i would just have them correctly orient the tire. If not, i guess it won't hurt to see if you could get a free out of the deal.

I would like to do business with them in the future. Anybody can do an "oops" and I have never had an issue with them before. I just want to make sure there are no wear issues with the tire since it has been running backwards.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
If it was properly inflated, not ridden too hard etc. my guess would be it should not be a problem. Absolutely would get it rotated, will make a difference in the rain and don't know how the belts are designed. In the old days when radial tires for cars were new on the market, you were not supposed to rotate in an x pattern as the rotation change would do something bad (how about that for a great explanation).

Would not hurt to ask the manufacturer. In any case don't want the front tire going down while riding. Everything should rotate in the direction it is designed for, would think there is enough extra margin that it should not be a problem but just in case.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about bikes, but on racecar the directional is important. It's the way they are design to take the load. A rear tire is design to take the load on acceleration. And the front one under braking. I will go see them and fix the problem... that's why you paid to get it done right. Unless it was 1/2 off to get it done wrong?

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
look at the wheel itself towards the outside of the rim on one of the spokes there should be a directional arrow. Take a look at that as well. If the arrow on the tire and the rim are both going the same way they can just take out the axle and calipers and turn it around and will be good to go.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If it was properly inflated, not ridden too hard etc. my guess would be it should not be a problem. Absolutely would get it rotated, will make a difference in the rain and don't know how the belts are designed. In the old days when radial tires for cars were new on the market, you were not supposed to rotate in an x pattern as the rotation change would do something bad (how about that for a great explanation).

Would not hurt to ask the manufacturer. In any case don't want the front tire going down while riding. Everything should rotate in the direction it is designed for, would think there is enough extra margin that it should not be a problem but just in case.

That reason is because of the belts in the tire they will start to alingn themselves vs where the load is on the tire and if you reverse the rotation of it after the belts have gotten "situated" it will more then likely throw a belt and that is when you get those tumors on your tires. Most of the time it happens just from wearbut can happen to a new tire if in that situation but since it only has 500 miles I would think it would be ok but being a perielli sp???? I would ask a professional they make a extremly good tire and it might break in extremly quick. So bottom line I would take it back to the shop and demand they buy you a new tire and pay to have it mounted somewhere else

Nick329

Reaction score
Visit site
That reason is because of the belts in the tire they will start to alingn themselves vs where the load is on the tire and if you reverse the rotation of it after the belts have gotten "situated" it will more then likely throw a belt and that is when you get those tumors on your tires. Most of the time it happens just from wearbut can happen to a new tire if in that situation but since it only has 500 miles I would think it would be ok but being a perielli sp???? I would ask a professional they make a extremly good tire and it might break in extremly quick. So bottom line I would take it back to the shop and demand they buy you a new tire and pay to have it mounted somewhere else

Yeah, I will be calling Pirelli in the morning to see what they recommend so that when I talk to the shop (closed on Mon and Tue) I'll have my ducks in a row. :thumbup:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Good idea... when you do talk to them see if you can get the name of the person you talked to as well as a good call back number in case the shop tries to hassle you about it you can have them speak to the same person you did

Nick329

Reaction score
Visit site
Talked to Pirelli yesterday morning and they stated that with that little mileage there shouldn't be an issue.
Going tomorrow to have it re-mounted.

Thanks again for all the input. :thumbup:

Nick

bobvilla

Reaction score
Visit site
look at the wheel itself towards the outside of the rim on one of the spokes there should be a directional arrow. Take a look at that as well. If the arrow on the tire and the rim are both going the same way they can just take out the axle and calipers and turn it around and will be good to go.

So our stock rims have a directional arrow? I will have to look for it to make sure my new tires are on correctly.

Simona

Reaction score
Visit site
Iv heard of guys who reverse tyres at track days. E.g Broadford track has only one real left hander, so the track will chew away the right hand side of the tyre. Guys turn the tyres to get use of the other side of the tyre. Iv not tried this, but from what Iv heard, they dont have any serious issues. But some say that it doesnt quite feel the same. I would imagine that in the wet, a reversed tyre would not disperse water. As far as causing any damage to the tyre, Im not too sure.