Front fork protruded

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks!

During install the preload adjuster into my FZ6, I might adjust front fork portruded(Sorry I cant find suitable word for it because my english skill).

For now, could you tell me your setting up suspensions?

It is my information.

My body height: 175cm
My body weight : 85kg

#Suspension setting
Frontfork portruded : 0mm
Front fork spring : Normal
Front fork fruid height : Normal
Front fork fluid viscosity: Normal

Rear preload : 2 (less one notch from standard)

#Tyre setting
Front tyre pressure : 225kPa@summer
215kPa@winter

Rear tyre pressure : 250kPa@summer
240kPa@winter

Thank you,

KUMAJ

W

wrightme43

Do you mean the top of the fork tube is even with or level with the top of the triple tree?

Mine protrudes or sticks up about 2 mm over the triple tree.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a fellow I met in the summer who drag races his FZ1 from time to time. He had the forks lowered a lot in the triple clamps (maybe 20mm)... I suspect that it would transfer more weight over the front tire... haven't changed anything like that on my FZ6 so I'm not sure what it's like...

Let us know how you make out.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine are about .5 inches above but were that way when I bought the bike used and I didn't realize it wasn't "supposed" to be that way recently so no comparison to stock. I can say no obviously bad things although now that I know I suspect that's why it feels a little twitchy at highway speeds in a cross wind.

W

wrightme43

Yes you can feel 2 mm. Mine fork tubes stick up past the top of the triple tree very very close to the size of this letter. m
Thats about 2 mm.

You can move them in the triple tree, it is my understanding that moving the triple tree further down on the fork tube (protruding more) makes the bike steer more quickly, it also makes in less stable, but I believe and please dont just take my word for it since I am going on memory and reading NOT ACTUAL EXPERINCE that our bike is set up sedate enough from the factory that we can move ours. I will go now and try to find a place that discuses this. I MAY BE WRONG SO DONT GO OFF AND CHANGE THINGS YET. LOL sorry. I couldnt help it.

W

wrightme43

Ok in just a few minutes of reading I have confirmed that most people are refreakingtarded. Here just do this and do that. Why you ask? I dont know. What happens, it scrapes the ground while your riding. Uhh ok thanks guys.

I will be back.

S

sportrider

origanally I think mine were flush after I removed the front end and reinstalled it I have the tops of the fork cap sticking out. I never really noticed a difference that I can confirm, I think the turn in is a little quicker but that may just be a psycho-logical thing.:D

W

wrightme43

Linky fun

Here thsi sorta tells you how, but not what I really wanna know.
Sport Rider-Ask The Geek

Here is a little more detail, but I know one night wandering dark halls of the intertubes I found that info.

Motorcycle Suspension Setup - Sport Rider

Shaun Pallisters VTWO Steering Geometry Information

Ok I think I did remember right. Making the forks protrude or stick out more decreases trail making the bike turn faster and be less stable. This article says up to 10mm can be used. But I sure wouldnt do that right off the bat.

And here is the exact one I wanted oddly enough saved in my favorites but forgoten.

Motorcycle Suspension Setup

Last edited by a moderator:

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys

Simply and basically, I think this behaviour infruence "Self Steer" calacter of bike and, it can be depend on ones feelings. For myself, I love just little quick handling. some people do 10~20mm because who doesn't like barycenter of his or her bike. especially Honda handling is much more dependable on bike but, Yamaha bike should be ridden agressive (use pitching motion) riding giving you preasure. Suzuki? too geek but I like sometime.

Ok, I'll start from 2mm after finish basically mod of it.

Thank you for your input.