Front brake light switch?

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone ever had one go bad? I was doing my pre ride check today and noticed the front brake was't triggering the brake light. I wound up pulling the switch and taking it apart. The contacts were dirty from arcing together and not making a solid contact. I filed them clean and it works as it should now. I haven't read about anyone having this problem so I thought I'd post up.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike has say outside for 4 years so I guess that could contribute to it. It was definitely from arcing. Maybe it got wet and that contributed to it?

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just venting; :D

Arrrgh! - looks like my front brake light switch has failed, AGAIN. This is the second one in 17000 km ~ 10000 miles and to make things worse it looks like I broke my one of my Cardinal rules to "Never, ever throw anything away" :D and threw the old one out even though I had dissasembled it and (at least so I think) repaired.

I ride rain or shine so I guess the weather did it's thing but damn it these things should at least be more durable. It's cold&windy and my bike is parked in a drafty public garage so I'll report back once I've taken a closer look.

Anyway, thanks for reading and if anyone had a similar problem please let me know :thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never had the issue but you may try putting a dab of di-electric grease (stuff it) at the opening where the "plunger" goes in and out.

Basically to keep water out....

There were several posts about the side stand switch acting up. Being pro-active, (no issues), I pulled it apart and greased it with di-electric grease.

Last edited:

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update;
After some fiddling with it I realized the little plunger that is actuated by the front brake lever was stuck, considering it's positioned in a place that takes the full blow of the weather&road grime they could have make the thing a little sturdier.

Fun fact; when I press the rear brake only the stop light shines brighter than when I press the the front brake only. Go figure
588c9c5e5f49d3551ab03772ddd63702.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update;
After some fiddling with it I realized the little plunger that is actuated by the front brake lever was stuck, considering it's positioned in a place that takes the full blow of the weather&road grime they could have make the thing a little sturdier.

Fun fact; when I press the rear brake only the stop light shines brighter than when I press the the front brake only. Go figure
588c9c5e5f49d3551ab03772ddd63702.jpg

How much difference in brightness? I would guess there could be some difference but there should not be a great deal of difference. You could have unusual voltage drop due to resistance somewhere that is abnormal.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How much difference in brightness? I would guess there could be some difference but there should not be a great deal of difference. You could have unusual voltage drop due to resistance somewhere that is abnormal.
It's quite noticeable - can corrosion/oxidation on the contacts cause the resistance? The front brake switch is from ebay so I guess the cheapo metals used for the contacts could cause it too?

I'll try disconnecting the switch and connecting the wires that go into it directly to rule the switch out.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's quite noticeable - can corrosion/oxidation on the contacts cause the resistance? The front brake switch is from ebay so I guess the cheapo metals used for the contacts could cause it too?.

Absolutely. Burned up contacts don't pass make for a good connection...

I don't buy knocks offs... Save a couple of bucks and the thing fails / doesn't perform like OEM..