Front brake lever floppy/brake light always on

Plokon

Reaction score
Visit site
So I noticed this problem today, my front brake lever isn't 'resetting' itself. There is a push rod in a metal boot that seems like it should be providing more spring force than it is to push the brake lever all the way out. It isn't a problem with actually braking, but it is making my brake light stay on all the time because the lever won't open up all the way to disengage the light switch. My current fix was to put a spring from a pen over the little push rod to push the brake lever back out, but I'd really rather get it fixed properly.

I found a 'master cylinder kit' that has the parts I think I'll need to fix this

Yamaha 5VS-W0041-00-00 - Cylinder Kit, Master : Ron Ayers

My questions: Will that kit actually fix the problem, and will I be able to put those parts in without having to drain my brake fluid? I'm in college right now, so I don't have anywhere to work on my bike besides the parking lot, and I'd really rather not drain the brake fluid because I have no experience changing it.

Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your sure the lever isn't too tight or goo'ed up (binding up)?

Its kinda unusual for that piston /shaft to hang up..

Anyway, unless there's major corrosion in there, the kit should take care of it.

And yes, you'll have to bleed the entire system. It'd be a good idea anyway for the flush
if the innerds of the MC are goo'ed up/sticky...

If you don't have basic tools and a place to work, you may want to find a private shop.
It shouldn't take an hour labor for both the replacement and flush..

Last edited:

Plokon

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think the actual lever itself is too tight or anything. There might be a corrosion issue, all of the paint around the pin and rubber boot has chipped off. Can I pull that rubber boot off to check inside? I tried earlier but it wasn't coming off easy and I didn't want to break it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't had mine apart but looking at the parts fisch;

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W FRONT MASTER CYLINDER Diagram

That boot appears to be held in under a clip.

Yes, you can pull that clip out BUT the entire shaft, seal, etc may (most probably will) slip out if your not careful.

Once that's out, you can see for any corrosion BUT now you have to bleed.