Friend's Crash

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
The brother of my best friend in Sante Fe wrecked in Rio Rancho last week. Waiting to make a left turn off double lane hwy., car passes, he turns left into the path of another bike which was obscured from his view by the car. Right leg was crushed by the impact, surgeons are hopeful that the pin they installed will let him regain use of his foot and it won't be amputated. Luckily the other biker walked away with minor injuries....and even more fortuitous that Paul was not driving a car when he made the turn into his path. Watch out for the blind spots while driving AND riding folks,I have almost made this same mistake before.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. Thank you so much for posting this. I'm grateful for the increased insight about visibility -- seeing and being seen.

I hope that your friend makes a speedy and full recovery.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope he heals up nice. I probably go thru that intersection on a weekly basis. Was it 550 or 528 (coors) or Paseo? Blind spots on double turn lanes cause A LOT of car crashes also in Albq. and Rio R.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The brother of my best friend in Sante Fe wrecked in Rio Rancho last week. Waiting to make a left turn off double lane hwy., car passes, he turns left into the path of another bike which was obscured from his view by the car. Right leg was crushed by the impact, surgeons are hopeful that the pin they installed will let him regain use of his foot and it won't be amputated. Luckily the other biker walked away with minor injuries....and even more fortuitous that Paul was not driving a car when he made the turn into his path. Watch out for the blind spots while driving AND riding folks,I have almost made this same mistake before.

Not sure 100% but the way the crash was described, it appears that the other rider's choice in lane position had a lot to do with the crash.

That is why I choose to ride for the most part, on the left portion within the lane. Directly behind the left corner of the vehicle's left bumper. It gives me greater visiblity to see beyond the vehicle directly in front of me. It will also allow the oncoming vehicles, like in case your friend, to see that I'm behind another vehicle. I never want to hide behind another vehicle by riding directly behind the vehicle. Also the vehicle in front of you actually would have a better view of you since you would appear in both mirrors, the side and rearview mirrors.

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the concern and well-wishes for Paul, he seems to be doing well since the surgery, very little infection and necrosis even though a great deal of bone and tissue are missing from his leg...his recovery is going to be a lengthy one. Not sure which route or hwy. he was on when the accident occured, I think he was commuting on his cruiser when it happened. I've really been wanting to ride in N.M. since my first visit there, especially in the mtns. above Abiquiu....some day.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Best wishes on recovery to your friend. ABQ in general like most big cities, you have to expect anything! After riding so much in and around ATL it doesn't seem that bad now but I'm always double-triple checking my surroundings down there. Riding from Santa Fe back home Monday, the only thing I had to watch for was the deer.