Found a puppy in the woods

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife was walking our dog in some woodland yesterday. The dog was interested in something so the wife investigated. She found a small, scared puppy trying to hide next to a tree root. It had no collar and the tail was docked (which is illegal). There were no other cars in the car park, no-one looking for a lost dog and no signs had been put up. She called me and we agreed she should take it home. The pup was really hungry thirsty and got on really well with the kids who absolutely loved her.

She went to the vets who said she was healthy, about 4 months old and but that no-one had called to report a missing pup. On my way home from work I drove to the car park and still no-one was looking for a pup and no-one had put up any missing signs. We have reported that we have found her to the RSPCA and local dog shelter.

The nearest place where anyone lives to those woods is a permanent gypsy site. My wife, the vet and me all believe it either wandered away from the gypsy's, or was dumped by them. The fact that there was no collar and that the tail is docked point to this being the case.

So, what do we do?? Keep the pup? That's no problems, she's lovely and well behaved (didn't poo in the house on her first night!) or do we contact the gypsy's and tell them we have found their dog? There are problems with this. What if she was dumped? We know the gypsy's treat their animals poorly. We see them hitting their horses and keeping them tied up by busy main roads with a small amount of grass.

As it is we still don't know. Oh, and we can't decide on a name for her either:confused:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics:

Keep it, the original owners didn't care, you will.:thumbup:

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
i mean they are gypsies................that is like a damn hippie here in the states. dont worry about them, i say keep it!

and you say the tail has been docked? is that the same as when they cut it off and leave that little nub? and if so why is that illegal there?

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i mean they are gypsies................that is like a damn hippie here in the states. dont worry about them, i say keep it!

and you say the tail has been docked? is that the same as when they cut it off and leave that little nub? and if so why is that illegal there?

Trust me this lot are a whole lot worse than any hippy. They lie, cheat, steal and break into private property to set up home leaving a foul smelling expensive mess when they are evicted all at great cost to the landowner.
A favourite scam is driving round estates offering to tarmac driveways at a reduced cost, ehich then costs more than the cost of the normal job to put right.
They demand all sorts of rights and expect to shoulder no responsibility for their actions claiming that it is society's prejudice.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
keep her and call her OJ because you gave her a free 2nd chance :)

Let's just hope she dosen't mess it up like he did....

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you've seen the film Snatch with brad Pitt ,you get an idea of what gypsies are like (although they are somewhat glamourised)

i say keep the dog.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The fact that no one reported her missing or posted signs to that effect is the answer to whether or not you should keep her. No one else cares so she's yours. Give her a good home man, she's a cuite!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I reckon keep it. You've reported it to animal shelter folk etc. If someone is really looking for it they'll give them a ring I would think.

Good on you for caring. :thumbup::cheer::Flash:

How about fizzer for a name?...lol.:D

Cheers
Mike

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well if you're going to follow the advice given here....looks like you all have a new addition to your family!

Congratulations! :cheer:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
What an adorable little Yorkie!! I volunteer with an animal rescue group, and we do exactly what you did...notify the authorities, check for "lost" signs nearby, and then if no one claims them, find them a good home! Sounds like you guys would be a GREAT home. :D (I also think Fizzy would be a cute name!) Thanks for the pics.