fork springs, progressive or not

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to whether or not the stock fork springs are progressive or not. I don't want to take them out to look if someone knows already.
Thanks guys

koolcat

Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to whether or not the stock fork springs are progressive or not. I don't want to take them out to look if someone knows already.
Thanks guys

Had mine out 2 weeks ago(leaky fork seal).. if by progressive you mean the spring is spaced farther apart near the bottom(and closer together at the top) then yes they are..

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Had mine out 2 weeks ago(leaky fork seal).. if by progressive you mean the spring is spaced farther apart near the bottom(and closer together at the top) then yes they are..

Agreed!
Had mine out a while back. The stock are progressive, at least on the '04. Get the linear (Terminology?) springs and enjoy a whole new ride!:thumbup:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Thanks for that, confirmed what I thought. No need for new springs then, some thicker oil needed to slow the dive.

Progressive springs on a street bike are a good idea in theory but suck in practice. Not enough travel to do the job correctly. Likewise heavier oil will only make the fork harsher. Our fork is design for 0 wt putting heavy oil in will stop some of the dive but slow the rebound making it pack on rough roads especially with the stock spring.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
so how do I get it to be a bit firmer without ruining the ride?

Get single rate springs appropriate to your weight. The OEM progressives are too soft in the soft part, so you lose a LOT of suspension travel without having any real control of the front end. With single rates, you will have almost the entire fork's travel available to suck up bumps, instead of about an inch.

Worlds, worlds, better. :thumbup:

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Hyperpro progressive fork springs, with heavier oil. The fork perform much better but are still smooth on rough roads. A good balance.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My previous FZ6 had the Racetech springs and 15W oil in them. Dampening was spot on, and handling was great. Never noticed any discomfort over rough patches.