Fork Oil and springs to change help needed.

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
I am expecting my new springs and 15 wt oil any day now. Usually on most bikes, you get a valve at the bottom to drain the oil but there is none on the FZ. So, do I have to take the forks out to drain them? Is there no other way? I guess, what I am asking is the best way to go about it. Also, if anyone can write or scan from a manual if possible, a step by step instruction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
zamolxes

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
the best way to do this is to remove the fork legs from the bike, this way you can cycle them to get all of the old oil and sediment out. On a 2008 they shouldn't be too bad however. Ity is a pretty easy job actually because you do not need to separate the fork tubes (ie if you were doing goldvalves as well).

Attached is a pdf with the factory service manual instructions for fork teardown. Hardest part of the job will be finding a safe way to support the front end. :thumbup:

The 15WT oil might be a bit harsh on fast bumps without installing goldvalves. If you used the RACETECH recommendation remember that also includes goldvalve installation. The stock oil is very light "01" is somewhere in the 0-2.5WT range.

Last edited:

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
the best way to do this is to remove the fork legs from the bike, this way you can cycle them to get all of the old oil and sediment out. On a 2008 they shouldn't be too bad however. Ity is a pretty easy job actually because you do not need to separate the fork tubes (ie if you were doing goldvalves as well).

Attached is a pdf with the factory service manual instructions for fork teardown. Hardest part of the job will be finding a safe way to support the front end. :thumbup:

The 15WT oil might be a bit harsh on fast bumps without installing goldvalves. If you used the RACETECH recommendation remember that also includes goldvalve installation. The stock oil is very light "01" is somewhere in the 0-2.5WT range.

Thank you,
This is perfect... printed and I will follow it once I get home!

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
That's right. That link Rob gave is good -- that's what I used.

+1 on getting the front end in the air safely. I actually bought a front steering head stand to do the job. Not sure if you're near NH -- 'cause if you are, you can borrow it.

The job was relatively simple even though it looks quite involved. Just be patient and get as much oil out as possible (takes quite a few pumps of the forks).

Have fun and feel free to ask if you have problems -- I did a Hyper Pro fork spring/oil few months back.

Dennis

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a Hyper Pro fork spring/oil few months back.

Dennis[/QUOTE]

Dennis, I'm dying to hear what your thoughts are on the mod, if you've posted I missed it...Were you as stoked as Rob was about his??