Foot Position on the FZ6

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious about how others position their feet on the FZ6. I find it most comfortable and secure to shift my feet back so that the balls of my feet are on the pegs. I think that puts some of my weight on my legs and keeps my butt from getting numb. The down side is that I have to move my feet forward to shift and/or brake.

How does eveyone else ride? :Sport:

H

HavBlue

I'm curious about how others position their feet on the FZ6. I find it most comfortable and secure to shift my feet back so that the balls of my feet are on the pegs. I think that puts some of my weight on my legs and keeps my butt from getting numb. The down side is that I have to move my feet forward to shift and/or brake.

I'm 6'2 and use every bit of the seat. My feet are placed as yours are and my arms rest on my knees. I have no problems riding in the stock 2004 saddle for hours on end. Like you, even with my size 13 boots I must move my foot to shift or brake but no real issues there.

S

sportrider

I ride the same way. better balance on the bike + less fatigue on the lower torso

ped

Reaction score
Visit site

thats actually the 'right' way. :thumbup:

M

MSunder

That´s the best way to ride, especially for corners. I always ride with balls on the footpeg. And if you know your course, you know when you must shift or brake.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
thats actually the 'right' way. :thumbup:

I always seem to moan lately on the site! Sorry!! :)

The balls of feet on the pegs is NOT the correct way to ride. As it has already been said, you have to move your feet forward in order to change gear and brake...anything that takes away a few seconds from braking instantly in an emergency is dangerous.

I really dont know what sort of training you guys are actually getting...but it seems its alot of miss guided information. I was told by my instructor and by many other highly qualified instructors who know how to ride not to believe or listen to people on forums when it comes to the correct riding technique...now I can see why.

:rtfm:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
That´s the best way to ride, especially for corners. I always ride with balls on the footpeg. And if you know your course, you know when you must shift or brake.

Yes its the best way to go around a corner, if your on a race track!!! NOT on the road...

seriously lads...what happens if a new biker comes on this site...they have been instantly taught how NOT to ride by being told its the correct way to ride...

I believe some of you need training.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site

+ 1 as you stated you ride how you feel most comfortable not always how you were taught as a learner.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ride how you are comfortable, and move your feet to where you want them, during aggressive riding i am on the balls of my feet and when just cruising around, i keep them within reach of the controls. Find what works for you and check out some formal training.

M

MSunder

Yes its the best way to go around a corner, if your on a race track!!! NOT on the road...

seriously lads...what happens if a new biker comes on this site...they have been instantly taught how NOT to ride by being told its the correct way to ride...

I believe some of you need training.

If I got my foot in normal position on the footpegs, in corners I have contact with the ground. Ok that´s where the sliders on my boots are for, but this will get in time a little too expensive. Everyone should ride the way it´s comfortabel for him (It has something to do with height and so on).

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site

The balls of feet on the pegs is NOT the correct way to ride. As it has already been said, you have to move your feet forward in order to change gear and brake...anything that takes away a few seconds from braking instantly in an emergency is dangerous.

Yes, you're absolutely correct, and that's the way I ride in town. Is it more comfortable to move my feet back on the pegs so the balls of my feet are on the pegs? Absolutely. It just feels "right", especially on an FZ6. However, as you point out, having to move either or both feet forward to operate the controls in an emergency could make the difference between an impact or getting through in (relatively) one piece. On the highway or when bend swinging, I'll move my feet back. When I get fatigued, or feel uncomfortable, I'll move my feet back. It does seem to help with balance, form and style. :D

Scorphonic said:
I really dont know what sort of training you guys are actually getting...but it seems its alot of miss guided information. I was told by my instructor and by many other highly qualified instructors who know how to ride not to believe or listen to people on forums when it comes to the correct riding technique...now I can see why.

I don't think it's a training issue...anyone who has had training will have been taught to ride with the feet centred on the footpegs, with the heel up against the back of the pegs, the toes of each boot poised to do their thing with the controls. All the riders who posted their responses know that. ;) It's like driving a car. We all know the correct foot position vis-a-vis the pedals, but how many of us bring our left foot back towards the seat for comfort?
You can take a horse to water (and all that...).
BTW, I am considering the Rizzoma rearsets, which go a long way to solving the problem of foot placement if one prefers the feet a bit further back, but want to keep the toes in the same proximity as the controls.

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
I was never trained one way or another. In the rider course I took, everyone seemed to put their toes where they are "supposed" to be (on the brake and shifter). However, as I started to ride my FZ6 i felt like I was constantly holding my toes up in the air. Also, I was riding in second and hit a bump and went into nuetral and that did it for me. I always move my right foot forward when appoaching traffic or downshifting. Also, I find it easier to slide my foot over or under the shifter, rather than moving out and under, and then back out and over.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site

nope balls on pegs is how you do it. take lessons on performance riding with that attitude and you're gonna be given up on. going for the rear brake automatically can be disasterous for newer riders anyway, especially if they're leaned over. you should be concerned about covering the front brake and clutch. cause if you have to brake that hard the rear will be off the ground or light enough to easily skid anyway. take the nelson ledges video i posted as the ultimate example of extreme braking.
also do some reading like twist of the wrist 2 or many others. if you think im such an 'internet joker'

p.s. a few of these people were the one who helped me as a new rider (and still do, they come on our sunday rides alot)
Sportbike Track Time - Get on the right track !! Toll Free #888-390-4020

Last edited:

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
quick search comes up with this

Motorcycle Riding Body Position Tip - Sport Rider

"Using the centered riding stance puts your outside knee in the correct position and will help to distribute your weight properly. If your bike has low clip-ons, it will require substantial knee pressure to unweight them; try variations until you find something comfortable. With as little weight on your arms as possible, you'll find it much easier to make small steering corrections, and bumps will unsettle your bike less as your weight has a reduced effect on steering. Also, experiment with foot position to find what works for you; it's usually best to keep your toes on the footpegs, especially the inner foot to avoid dragging. If you like to use the rear brake (RSS, April '00), keep your foot as far back and tucked in as possible."

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Scorph,
I ride with my feet flat on the pegs covering the brake and the gears, I am also very short so find this a neutral position to be in.
I understand fully what you are saying but is it better and safer to ride in a position that is cofortable to you?
Well done in the six nations, I also applied for a job in Loath.

Neil

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
hers some reading to help you be a safer and better rider, but first you'll have to re-evaluate the attitude you have towards riding imo.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Total-Control-Performance-Street-Techniques/dp/0760314039/ref=pd_sim_b_img_4]Amazon.com: Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques: Books: Lee Parks[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Street-Strategies-Survival-Guide-Motorcyclists/dp/1889540692/ref=pd_sim_b_title_2]Amazon.com: Street Strategies: A Survival Guide for Motorcyclists: Books: David Hough[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Basics-High-Performance-Motorcycle/dp/0965045021/ref=pd_sim_b_title_10]Amazon.com: A Twist of the Wrist 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding: Books: Keith Code[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Riding-Pridmore-Way-Reg/dp/1884313469/ref=pd_sim_b_title_11]Amazon.com: Smooth Riding the Pridmore Way: Books: Reg Pridmore[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-Techniques-Develop-Confidence/dp/1893618072]Amazon.com: Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track: Books: Nick Ienatsch,Kenny Roberts,Tom Morgan[/ame]

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
How about up on the frame sliders....
Just thought I would brake the tension in this thread.

No but really, I move mine around alot.

I was taught for offroad riding to ride on the balls of my feet, because then you are using your legs as a secondary shock absorber. It took a while to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, it is nice. I thought at first that it would take more time to get to the controls like this, but in all honesty, when I was in that position I found myself being more aggresive, and looking further ahead so I was able to plan my shifts and such so there was nothing that really snuck up on me... for the most part. lol.

However, for the street, I move my feet all over the pegs same with my butt on the seat. With that being said I can never get my mirrors in the right place. So if I am in the twisties I will move my feet up or if I am crusing around on the highway, but I will also ride with my feet up on the sliders on the highway, with the arms resting on my legs. But in the city, I am covering all the controls. City stuff scares the piss out of me sometimes.

Just my .02

-bryan

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I normally put both feet up on the handlebars or stand up on the seat and surf the bike !! :D

Truthfully though I ride on roads with the peg central in my foot but when I tried that on a track I was dragging my boot quite often !! I suppose you just adjust to the circumstances....

Made me think though lol ... I've had to go out for a quick blast to check :)
First ride this year I might add .... bring on the nice weather :thumbup:

wardfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
balls or not

the fz6 feels tonnes better when using ones balls, when traffic builds up or commuting slowly i cover the pedals, I was trained not to cover the brakes during normal riding and if your paying attention and not speeding your brakes will be covered before you need them. that doesnt take bmw drivers into account though.

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the input!!

Terrific responses. Thanks to all who contributed... especially ped for the great links, and Scorphonic for making it controversial. Oh, and JONAC, love the pic.:Lurking: