Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,
just wondering if many riders have fitted the Smart Turn System

(http://www.safer-turn.com/)

I have just got one and looking for the best spot to locate the unit and best spot to tap into the wiring- particularly on a naked as there is no hiding anything behind a fairing.
I'm hoping there's enough space around the battery compartment and enough length in the supplied wiring to tap into the loom at a point where it is accessible. Anyway any insights would be gratefully recieved

I added the smart braking module over the weekend- if it helps some inattentive driver from rear ending me, its time and money well spent!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks to be a pretty compact unit. If the unit needs to have a specific upright position it might be harder to make it happy but if it uses a static resting position and reacts to attitude change it would be easier to find a home for it. Under seat?

I really noticed modulating tail light action when riding behind Goop (Brian) Everytime he hit the brake it got my attention as apposed to just a straight on or off. I got one and I really believe they are priceless when it come to getting added attention.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Adrian,

I've added the turn signal unit. Didn't try the stop unit, yet.

I wanted to avoid cutting wires so I looked for a connector junction where all those wires go. Found it under the tank in front of the coils. It's covered by that glossy black rubber cover right next to the frame.

1 FZ6 STS Location.jpg

After I identified the connector, Sumitomo something or other, I bought a pair of the same type from a guy in New Jersey that @trepetti told me about.

2 FZ6 Turn Signal Junction.jpg

So I wired the turn signal cancel unit into the connectors and then they just snap in between the existing sides of the connector. No cutting. I will add the wiring code colors after I get home. That junction had all the necessary connections, including +12 and ground.

3 The Splice.jpg

4 Stuffing it back in.jpg

I mounted the device box on the top of the battery holder next to the main fuse. So, everything is out of sight - even on a naked.

In hindsight, I would have made the wires that cross directly from one side of the adaptor to the other a bit longer so it could fold into the sheath a bit easier. And, see below, I would have clipped some of the lead off of the STS device box so less would have been hanging out over the air intake.

5 Final Position.jpg

The foam disks work pretty well in the selector switch. You need to remove the ball bearing and spring that would otherwise hold the switch to one side or the other. I've been meaning to try to find a spring to replace those disks, but they've been OK. We'll see how well they work as the weather gets cold here.

Good Luck!

Chris

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the comprehensive :"how to" Chris, I like the idea of using the connector rather than cutting, I'll have to source one here in Aus. The stop unit is a doddle to fit. The hardest bit is finding a spot that is out of the way and away from too much heat. Under the seat on LHside right uop the back corner works just need to drill a hole in the plastic for the wiring to go thru- its all near the wiring in the LH pod.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Adrian - if you decide to use the connector, you might want to get a crimper that is specific for the type of pins and sockets that are used. I got that from the guy in NJ.
Joe Scavone <[email protected]> and http://cycleterminal.com/

For my FJR, Joe didn't have the correct connector, but he referred me to a guy in Japan at https://easternbeaver.com/ The Japan source might be closer for you - if you don't find something in Aus.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Chris, I like the idea of not cutting into the harness and just intercepting at an appropriate point. I think I will follow your lead. You wouldnt have a part number I can quote for the connectors would you? I did see the the cycleterminal website but cant find the exact one- they look pretty close but it would be good to know for sure.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Chris. I will need to source the plugs from Japan, Joe in NJ couldnt help me and i cant find anyone in Aus that stocks them, but i am wondering what size pins i need to specify when ordering the plugs from Eastern beaver. I figure its prob pretty easy to follow color codes of the bikes harness and thenwork from the units wiring. I will draw up a diagram like you did and plan it out. I really like being able to do all the wiring “on the bench” and then almost plug n play

cheers Ade

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ade,

On the eastern beaver site, when you specify the plugs you also specify how many pins you want. I'd get a few extras. Even with having bought a specific crimper I botched a few crimps and was happy to not have to try to flatten out the mangled pin.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the plugs, crimping tool and crimps arrived by Fedex today, so once I run some fuel down I'll lift the tank and have a good look at how I plan the install. Just need to work on what loops through the new plugs and which pins are (m) and which are (f) in each of the plugs and practice the crimping. thanks for the heads up

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Chris,
I got the plugs from Eastern Beaver and the crimp tool as well. Took plenty of pics of the original plugs to be sure I had all the wire colour codes right. Followed your lead and made the interconnecting wires on the inserted bit of loom about twice as long as yours and I reckon could have gone even longer, but it all fits.
Got it fitted about two weeks ago and then we went away for ten days so I havent ridden. But it is pretty amazing the way it works- I'm pretty impressed. The only time it doesnt is when you do a slow lane change. I now need to remember not to try and turn off the indicators as they are already off.

its a great little mod, this one- thanks for all your info.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're welcome. Glad I took those pictures.

It's great that even if you forget to cancel them after a small lane change, or if you restart them by accident, that they turn themselves off after about 20 seconds.

Enjoy! I sure do.