First Time at the Drag Strip

Ultrarandom

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice times!
There were modded literbikes running mid 8's and that pretty much put every other vehicle at the strip to shame.

I was running on a 250 in my session against Screamin' Eagle Harleys and Turbo Busas running low 7s.
There was even a turbod scooter/moped thing running lower times than me (hitting low 14s)

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Even tho the other rider pulled a clean hole shot w/good (R/T), it appears you beat him to the 60' mark and the 330'... Brute strength won after that!

Just Sayin, for $4### these bikes will put some "fast looking" cars to shame as it takes over 500hp and Upwards $50 -100k to beat us.... :D Nothing wrong with that!

I see the same, the rider had good R/T, but I wonder why he is so slow, may be he had a slow start, to compensate the front tire lifting.
That Kawa is 135hp/66Nm; compared to ours less than 100/45, this is a very good result.
I'm planning to take mine next Wednesday, mine is completely stock, I just wanted to do it for my own fun, not to race anyone..!
Wednesday Night Drags | Raceway Info | Sonoma Raceway

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning to take the bike after a couple of weeks.
I want to be a spectator first, live.
1. I already got a habit of shifting without the clutch. On city roads, slow speed, I use clutch a little bit; but on speed over 40, I drop the throttle a bit and shift fine.
2. Why didn't have a camera? You really didn't have or they didn't allow?
3. What clothing are you on? Is the track suit necessary (I'm going in the track suit anyway, so, I guess it is a waste to ask question, but for others),
4. I didn't quite understand whether to stick to 3rd or shift to 4th (What I understood is, we have to shift to 4th); I'll go without shifting for the first run and see how it goes.

Last edited:

UpInTheAir89

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Benji, just realized you're not too far away. In St. Louis right now, but moving back up to Madison this winter (and I'm from Waukesha, WI area). What's the lowdown on good tracks for track days and drag-strips in the area? It's been a while since I've lived there.

Reaction score
Visit site
Clutchless upshifting from 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears is often the way forwards at speed, pun intended. It's useful to practice for regular road riding but a lot harder to get the right timing if you're not winding the throttle fully open or close to it, it can cause a jolt/shudder which is unpleasant (practice can minimise it a lot). Not something I mind for solo riding but bit of a shock for any pillion, cos I think ideally pillion riding should be all about smoothness, i.e. preloading the gear you want to upshift to and being very slow and deliberate with the clutch, avoiding dropping down into 1st which clunks if possible.