First maintance & winter storage

killertofu9

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking for some advise on which route to go. The temps are dropping and not coming back so next weekend I'm looking to garage the bike for the winter. Going to wash her, fill up the tank, add some fuel stabilizer and park her in the garage under the covers. However I'm still in the initial break in period, at 400mi currently and probably wont put anymore on. Should I change the oil before parking her or is it good til spring or should I take it in for a first maintenance. Not sure if there is anything besides the oil that needs to be done at the 600mi mark of break in. Thanks.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
might as well change the oil now...i dont think 100 miles is a huge difference. its always good to change it b4 storing it, something about acidity in old/used oil is bad for the engine

Oil is cheap, engines are expensive:thumbup:

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I would change the oil if it were me.

Some steps that I take when winterizing my bikes are:
1- The last ride of the season I put sea foam in the tank and run it through the system.
2- Top off the tank with fresh fuel on the way home
3- Give the bike a good cleaning
4- Change the oil and filter. If you want, just use a good but cheaper oil for the winter as you might want to start the season with fresh oil in the spring. Hint: K and N oil filters are great, they have a nut that makes them easy to remove/install
5- Give the bike any other upgrades/maintenance that you need to do.
6- Check and lube the chain
7- Check the bike for other needed adjustments (levers, etc.)
8- If its time, check the plugs, air filter and coolant levels. Remove and replace any that would need it
9- This is optional, but if I am replacing plugs, I usually put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinders for winter storage. This should help keep them lubed and will ease the start in the spring.
10- Put the bike up on stands to prevent flat spots on tires
11- Cover it up, and be sad.....haha

Hope these ideas can help a bit!

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Not advocating this, this is simply what I do: I usually try to ride mine at least once per month during the winter months. I keep mine on the center stand and put the front wheel on something besides concrete. I keep my tank full every time I park it and (while a battery tender is probably the best route to go), I usually keep a standard household lightbulb burning under the front of the engine, below freezing temperatures. While it only gives off a minute amount of heat, the heat does rise up through the header area and directly toward the battery. Mine is over two years old now and it still rings it over everytime I jab it. (Disclaimer: You must be careful of fire and electocution hazards though! : )
Too, I love Armor All. IMO it's a great product at a reasonable price. I use it for UV protection on hoses, cables, rubber, etc. I put it on my sidewalls as well to help prevent UV damage and dry rot. (Disclaimer: Armor All is slick. Getting it on any friction surfaces could create a dangerous situation. Use caution! : )
So far my bike exhibits no corrosion or rust anywhere, (except on my lean indicators where the finish has been ground off slightly =:). Good luck and enjoy your really great bike!

killertofu9

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I'll change the oil and filter than. Wasn't sure if there was anything else that needed to be done besides oil at the first 600mi during break in. I wil put it on the center stand, also I lube the chain every wash. Armour All the wheels and seat, turtle wash n wax the rest, chrome polish on the exhaust.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually keep a standard household lightbulb burning under the front of the engine, below freezing temperatures. While it only gives off a minute amount of heat, the heat does rise up through the header area and directly toward the battery.

you may want to just take out the battery and bring it indoors.
you can still keep it on a tender.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
might as well change the oil now...i dont think 100 miles is a huge difference. its always good to change it b4 storing it, something about acidity in old/used oil is bad for the engine

Not calling you a liar but I'd like some proof on this.

No way with modern synthetics the oils going to decompose just by sitting for 6 months.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not that the oil decomposes, but it contains contaminants as a result of combustion that could lead to corrosion as it just sits there over the winter. Changing the oil just keeps everything clean internally.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Not calling you a liar but I'd like some proof on this.

No way with modern synthetics the oils going to decompose just by sitting for 6 months.

You leave your bike sitting for 6 months???

I think the best way to store it for the winter is to buy a nice warm jacket, nice gloves, windbreaker pants and keep on riding!

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I'll change the oil and filter than. Wasn't sure if there was anything else that needed to be done besides oil at the first 600mi during break in. I wil put it on the center stand, also I lube the chain every wash. Armour All the wheels and seat, turtle wash n wax the rest, chrome polish on the exhaust.

I was in the same situation last fall. Yeah, change the oil and filter. You'll probably see a lot of metal particles in the old oil, demonstrating the need for that break-in service. The rest of the 600 mile service is lubricating the chain and cables, and a bunch of checks. The list is in the owner's manual.

I lifted the gas tank, connected battery tender adapter to the battery terminals, and kept it on a battery tender all winter, though I don't think I ever saw the charge light come on. It started easily every time I wheeled it out on those ride-able winter days.

Some handy links:

how to (including the tin foil trick):

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/18531-how-change-your-oil.html

compatible oils and filters:

Motorcycle Oil and Filters

drain plug gasket:

https://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/349961

ChadK_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
You leave your bike sitting for 6 months???

I think the best way to store it for the winter is to buy a nice warm jacket, nice gloves, windbreaker pants and keep on riding!

Highly doubt his bike sits for more then a couple days being from NorCal.

And +1 for gear (unless you drop below 30's and have snow)

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
My solution was to buy a toyhauler and put the bike in it. I strap a large snow shovel on the front of my rig and drive south. The first place that I stop where someone asks what that kind of shovel it is, I park and start riding. Heh heh heh!

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
My solution was to buy a toyhauler and put the bike in it. I strap a large snow shovel on the front of my rig and drive south. The first place that I stop where someone asks what that kind of shovel it is, I park and start riding. Heh heh heh!

that's the life for me....minus the rv.....just my bike and campsites.....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

All very true....
Rings do not seal 100%. Its why the oil gets dirty and turn brown/black. The combustion process makes acids. Acids eat and etch aluminum and steel. Old oil if left to sit will attack your engine!

I've seen automotive oil pans wrought out/rust out because the acids in the oil ate clean through them. Also things like oil pick up screens are already fine material and are easy picking for the event to take place.

Change the oil if you plan on parking it for 3 to 4 months. Its cheap insurance.