First drag race!!!

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Today my buddy and I ran our bikes down the runway at our local municipal airport. The airport and police department sponsor 1/8 mile drag races each Memorial and Labor Day. We volunteered to make a few runs to make sure the timing equipment was working properly.

I was running my 2008 FZ6 while my buddy was running his 2009 Ninja ZX-6R.

Run #1

Ninja/ FZ6

Reaction Time: 1.01 seconds / 1.41 seconds

60 Foot time: 2.50 seconds / 2.01 seconds

Trap MPH: 91.6 mph / 91.0 mph

Elapsed Time: 8.84 seconds / 7.99 seconds

I launched at 3,500 rpms which bogged the motor a bit. Despite the less than stellar launch, I still took the win by nearly one second. Not too bad for my first time out.

Run #2

Ninja/ FZ6

RT: 1.16 seconds / 1.58 seconds

60 Foot time: 2.76 seconds / 2.02 seconds

Trap MPH: 93.5 mph / 91.4 mph

ET: 9.14 seconds/ 7.95 seconds

For race #2, I launched at 5,000 rpms which gave me some wheel spin that slowed my reaction time even further. Despite the slower RT, I picked up .4 mph at the trap and took the win light again from the ZX-6R.

It seems simple, but drag racing is full of nuances and small details. I can only imagine that a good start will lower my RT's and give me an even faster ET. It would be interesting to see how the ZX-6R would do in a 1/4 mile race instead of the 1/8 mile we were forced to run.

I'm thinking about going back tomorrow for the actual race day and getting in a few more runs to see if I can improve my reaction time and figure out the optimal launch RPM.

Last edited:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very Cool !!! you can get addicted to the strip!! keep that in mind or you will find your wallet getting light pretty quick!! LOL :thumbup: :thumbup: Good job taking out the SS bike on the runs!! :rockon: :D