First Damage

armstrong89z

Reaction score
Visit site
I never really introduced myself but I guess now is a good time. I live in New Jersey and I am 18 now (17 when I bought it :rockon:). I bought the Fz6 from a guy in the military at the end of March 2011. Its a stealthy Black 2008 with only 200 miles on the odometer and i just hit 1,000 miles the other day!! Its finally broken in and so far I am loving it. Its the first bike I purchased but I have variations of motorcycles since I was 12.

The other day I came home from school yesterday and the conversation was
Dad; Did you hear about what happened to your bike?
Me; (heart skips a beat) What happened!?! :eek:
Dad; John(my brother) scratched your bike. :spank:
Me: I ran to the garage and looked at the bike.

There is a 3 inch scratch on the piece of plastic where the seat is. (refer to pictures) I was furious but I lucked out it was on the side quarter panel thing(anyone know what's it called?) Its better than the tank or engine getting scratched. He hit it by not paying attention and moving the bike before working out. He never worked out so it was only used by me so I felt it was safer than other places.

My question is:

1) Whats the part called?

2) What is cheaper a new painted piece from a Yamaha dealership or get this one repainted?

It doesn't look to bad in the pictures but its like 3 inches long an really bothers me. I bought the bike because it had no scratches on it.

I put some pictures up of the scratch and one of when I still had my prom tuxedo and I took some pictures with the bike.:D

Havok3c

Reaction score
Visit site
Since it is black you can try to fix it up yourself with touch up paint, I was like that when i got my 250 and even the littlest scract drove me insane, i am over it by now though, these things happen and the bike is just as good as it was before the scratch, now it just has character :)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure what the technical term is for those rear pieces (rear fender perhaps?)

Personally I'd probably get a pair of American Flag vinyls and cover the scratch...

When I bought mine new I was paranoid of damage...after a few battle scars I don't worry about it anymore. I have 13 years of life on you and I can tell you one thing with certainty. A vehicle/bike that is pristine is FAR more likely to sustain stupid damage than one that is already beat up. I can't count how many times I've almost been hit or almost hit deer or debris in the road in my garage kept, babied sport car. I drive my beater car 4 times more often and nothing EVER happens when I drive that car. Others will confirm this to be true! Bad luck favors nicer machines.

EDIT: Did you buy it in Florida and ride it home? I see the pictures of it in NJ and FL?

armstrong89z

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I'd probably get a pair of American Flag vinyls and cover the scratch...

EDIT: Did you buy it in Florida and ride it home? I see the pictures of it in NJ and FL?

That were some quick responses. Does anyone know if they have a vinyl Fz6 Logo to put on those kinda like what the Street Triples have?

I bought the bike in New York by the Canadian border long ride (7 hoursish). The pictures from Florida are from spring break when I towed it down there to my sister's condo.

It is true about how the babied car always seems to get more damage than the daily driver.

redballs

It's a small world
Reaction score
Visit site
1. The Part name is the "Side Cover".

2. You can order it online from about $35- $70 US + Shipping.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were you I'd just use a Sharpie (black of course) to just cover the scratch and call it character.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
It would drive me nuts if I found a scratch like that on mine -- but I agree, its not signifiant, can easily cover it some way (like that sharpie) and it'll be covered enough.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your scratch. It's inevitable you're going to get some scratches, but it is still a pain. The previous owner of my bike dropped it on both sides. The right is not as bad as the left side. It bugs me and I'm going to slowly fix everything which translates into when I have more disposable income. :)

I like the Sharpie idea. Give it a try, at least temporary. If it looks really bad, you can always order a replacement part. You may not even notice the scratch after a few days.

armstrong89z

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I'll try the sharpie tomorrow for a temporary fix. But I think I'm going to buy a new side cover. The touch up paint is a good fix but for $15 a pen and for $54 is a new cover I think I'm going with a new cover. It is 4x more expensive but this is really bugging me.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't sweat it, man! It's plastic.. not like it's gonna rust or anything. Any Murphy's law says if you spend 70 on replacement you'll just scratch something else :rolleyes:
If it happened to my bike I would definitely go with some cool sticker.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A decent spray painter would be able to fix that very quickly, and very cheaply...but if new side covers are only as little as $70 in the States.....get a new one, and get your Bro to pay...i bet he wont be so careless after that.

I hate scratches on my bikes....

:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:armstrong89z to the forum! Don't think we've met.

Cool stickers are also an option...:rockon: They also make the bike go faster!:rolleyes:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
but if new side covers are only as little as $70 in the States.....get a new one, and get your Bro to pay...i bet he wont be so careless after that.

I hate scratches on my bikes....

:thumbup:

THIS!!! If you're gonna go the new side pod route (another term you'll hear them called around here), DO NOT pay for it yourself. I don't care if your brother is 10 or 25. If he's too young to have a job then take it out of his allowance, but don't pay for it yourself.

And I'm like Wolfman. I hate scratches, but they do inevitably happen (especially on a black bike). Wait until you've had it for 4 1/2 years like I have. LOL. I baby the heck out of mine and I've still got a few little scratches here and there.

I can still remember the first one, too. I was working around the handlebar area and forgot the wise idea I'd seen mentioned here if you're doing that...namely, put a towel over the tank so if you drop a wrench or socket, it won't hit the paint directly. I didn't do it that particular time (the first time I hadn't put a towel on the tank) and what did I do? Dropped the socked right on the tank. CLANK! Luckily, it didn't chip the paint, but it did put a little scratch and I was so pissed at myself. But, now I just chalk it up to character. :thumbup:

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
If you do decide to replace it, they are super easy to remove. Take off the seat, one screw, then they just pull off. I wouldn't let a little scratch cause any fights with your brother, though. $hit happens. +1 for hitting it with sharpie/touch-up paint or a sticker, save the $70 for fuel or other goodies.

armstrong89z

Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

Well my brother is buying a new side cover. its $54 from Ron Ayer's Motorsports. And I am looking into to getting some Fz6 logo stickers to put on them just to make it look better.