First Bike Size

My point is that all drivers (cagers) and riders need more education, not more unenforceable regulation.

+1 for education.

I'm a big fan of further driving education. As far as accidents go, I've read somewhere (and Doh!, I can't remember the source) that the instance of accidents in people who have done further driving/riding education is greatly reduced. This includes truck driving courses to bike riding courses. They all tend to refresh skills and knowledge, and I've been thinking for some time they should be mandatory every five years or so, along with some testing. This way you only get five years to get lax before you get an eye opener.

Cheers
Mike

If you are implying that drinking and driving laws are really enforced in this country then you are crazy. I don't like drunk driving any more than you. But our government does not truly punish the majority of the people who commit this crime. They give people minimum and reduced sentences and fines (as if a pennyless drunk is going to pay his fine) and take away their driver's license (as if a pennyless drunk cares if he has a drivers license). Drunk driving laws are enforced about as well as gun laws. . . they keep the honest people honest. I am not trying to promote anarchy. Nor am I trying to say that beginners should be able to ride whatever their little hears and very little brains desire. I am simply saying that government regulation of this is going to keep a 35 year old newb who is judiciously and responsibly trying to break into the motorcycle world on a 125cc bike and it is still not going to stop the idiot 18 year old who gets on a friends busa and takes it for a joy ride at 150 mph. My point is that all drivers (cagers) and riders need more education, not more unenforceable regulation.

I agree with you 100%, but, you miss understood my point. I was refering to the people who complain about Gov' intervention. some people think the gov' goes to far, but who decides whats to far. its just as dangerous to let an 18yr old drive a dodge viper as it is to let me ride my fazer intoxicated. so why is one illegal, and not the other. If your going to tell a new rider to start on a 250, then you should tell all new cage drivers to start in chevy aveo's. I'm just going for equal rights. I'm pro freedom, not partially.:rockon:

If you are implying that drinking and driving laws are really enforced in this country then you are crazy. I don't like drunk driving any more than you. But our government does not truly punish the majority of the people who commit this crime. They give people minimum and reduced sentences and fines (as if a pennyless drunk is going to pay his fine) and take away their driver's license (as if a pennyless drunk cares if he has a drivers license). Drunk driving laws are enforced about as well as gun laws. . . they keep the honest people honest. I am not trying to promote anarchy. Nor am I trying to say that beginners should be able to ride whatever their little hears and very little brains desire. I am simply saying that government regulation of this is going to keep a 35 year old newb who is judiciously and responsibly trying to break into the motorcycle world on a 125cc bike and it is still not going to stop the idiot 18 year old who gets on a friends busa and takes it for a joy ride at 150 mph. My point is that all drivers (cagers) and riders need more education, not more unenforceable regulation.

What do people think about Australia. I really reckon our drink driving laws and random breath testing have changed people's attitudes here. And they're pretty tough.

Nice user name?

Are you the real Tex?

Sorry no. But that doesn't stop me pretending does it? :Flash:

no-one believes me but I had my 93 gpx 250 up to 170kmph.

You can die on any bike so you might as well be comfortable!
I was knocked off my gpx on the freeway at 90kmph.

Pick one you respect and are comfortable with handling. Dont pick one that your going to **** yourself on every ride you wont learn quick enough. You can work your way up to that a bigger one later.

My first bike was a zzr250 and I had it up to 190km/h down a very long straight, pulled over at the end of the straight with the guys I was riding with and they noticed the engine was on fire. I believe it was just oil from an old leak that had combusted because I still rode another 400 or so km that weekend without an issue.

Take a look at the Suzuki TU250X. I bought mi FZ6 last Year in South Carolina as my first bike. Love every single thing about it. I had to move back to Brooklyn NY for work and I think that even after lerning in a 600cc, that 250 will be amazing for city riding.
My answer I guess is, if you are going to do city comuting and just few highyway trips, get something smaller than a 600.

Actually, in terms of handling I find the bigger bikes more stable. Its just that they can get away from you if you're not careful.

In QLD mate you can go from your learners to a full open class licence in 2 days now :eek: :spank:....I dont agree with the Q-ride laws but thet are similar to the NSW laws when i got my licence , had to do a stay upright course yet they let me ride to the course :confused: how does that work LOL........

It also depends on the rider that has control of the throttle , i went from a PE175 straight to a CBR1000F :scared: (moment of weakness) forgive me for i have sinned :D , but im still here to tell the story :thumbup:

how did you keep your rubber to the road???

You can't really judge a bike purely on its engine size, there is huge variation between models, and some 600's are great for learners.
I started on a Zeal and its only a 250 but can easily break any speed limit, particularly if you ride it hard and are aggresive on the revs.

The Government really is starting to go over the top at this point, because you really can't control how people behave past a certain point. Every time some P plater speeds and gets caught, or has an accident and kills himself/herself and passengers, or just has an accident in bad weather due to inexperience and dies in some 500$ car all you hear is how they need to make it harder, stricter, longer. Even the parents start calling for these things, and you know why? GUILT. They didn't teach their child to be responsible, they didn't impress upon them the danger, maybe they just didn't teach their child well enough or bother spending a bit of time or money ensuring they have a safe vehicle. This wouldn't be true in all cases, but probably in quite a few.

No one wants to spend the money EDUCATING riders and drivers. Luckily here in NSW the learner and P plate courses are heavily subsidised and are very effective (if you have half a brain). Infact when I was doing my course the instructors (who also train the police) told us that the system in place was helping to keep motorcycling very safe.
Of course the government this year decided that motorcycling is far too dangerous! L and P platers are in real danger so forcing people to stay on smaller possibly older and underpowered bikes for longer periods so there is more chance of them becoming a statistic was a good idea.

Every time I argue with people, even family and friends that there should be enforced education and courses for riding and driving I am told no, its too expensive, and seriously it really tics me off! These people, even my fiancee will argue that people shouldn't be put under financial burden to get their car or bike license because some people can't afford it.
I'm sorry but we are forced through YEARS of schooling, and research has proven that all you really learn is how to tell the time, do basic math, and read/write, not exactly a huge accomplishment; so why not force people to pay maybe 500$ to do advanced courses, or have proper training.
Riding and driving is a responsibility, and if you can't afford that amount to start off with a good basis to your skills you don't have your priorities right.

Also there seems to be a misconception that having a license is a RIGHT, and its not. Its a privilege. Alot of people just do the tests till they pass, because really eventually someones just going to let them through and the computer tests are a joke.

The gene pool quote is a good one and rings true, if your stupid enough to put yourself in a situation where your life is at serious risk, knowingly, then why should the rest of us pay? Meanwhile, the people who could unknowingly do similar can be educated, and THAT way hopefully only the bad eggs are lost. Ideally though the bad eggs should never get a license saving the probability they will kill other people, while being stupid.

You can't really judge a bike purely on its engine size, there is huge variation between models, and some 600's are great for learners.
I started on a Zeal and its only a 250 but can easily break any speed limit, particularly if you ride it hard and are aggresive on the revs.

The Government really is starting to go over the top at this point, because you really can't control how people behave past a certain point. Every time some P plater speeds and gets caught, or has an accident and kills himself/herself and passengers, or just has an accident in bad weather due to inexperience and dies in some 500$ car all you hear is how they need to make it harder, stricter, longer. Even the parents start calling for these things, and you know why? GUILT. They didn't teach their child to be responsible, they didn't impress upon them the danger, maybe they just didn't teach their child well enough or bother spending a bit of time or money ensuring they have a safe vehicle. This wouldn't be true in all cases, but probably in quite a few.

No one wants to spend the money EDUCATING riders and drivers. Luckily here in NSW the learner and P plate courses are heavily subsidised and are very effective (if you have half a brain). Infact when I was doing my course the instructors (who also train the police) told us that the system in place was helping to keep motorcycling very safe.
Of course the government this year decided that motorcycling is far too dangerous! L and P platers are in real danger so forcing people to stay on smaller possibly older and underpowered bikes for longer periods so there is more chance of them becoming a statistic was a good idea.

Every time I argue with people, even family and friends that there should be enforced education and courses for riding and driving I am told no, its too expensive, and seriously it really tics me off! These people, even my fiancee will argue that people shouldn't be put under financial burden to get their car or bike license because some people can't afford it.
I'm sorry but we are forced through YEARS of schooling, and research has proven that all you really learn is how to tell the time, do basic math, and read/write, not exactly a huge accomplishment; so why not force people to pay maybe 500$ to do advanced courses, or have proper training.
Riding and driving is a responsibility, and if you can't afford that amount to start off with a good basis to your skills you don't have your priorities right.

Also there seems to be a misconception that having a license is a RIGHT, and its not. Its a privilege. Alot of people just do the tests till they pass, because really eventually someones just going to let them through and the computer tests are a joke.

The gene pool quote is a good one and rings true, if your stupid enough to put yourself in a situation where your life is at serious risk, knowingly, then why should the rest of us pay? Meanwhile, the people who could unknowingly do similar can be educated, and THAT way hopefully only the bad eggs are lost. Ideally though the bad eggs should never get a license saving the probability they will kill other people, while being stupid.

I generally agree but your message misses one point. The red mist descends at times and we do stupid things. Things that could potentially kill us or hurt us. Let's face it. We will hurt ourselves on bikes and many of us already have - hopefully we have learnt or will learn from it.

Thats true, I know I am certainly guilty of it myself. I also consider myself a pretty responsible rider, and still know I do make those bad choices.

The issue I have is there are times when you can in relatively safety do something (possibly not legal) and get away with it because by being aware and riding within your skillset you aren't putting yourself or anyone else in any greater risk.
There are also times when you really can't make that judgement, or shouldn't and should refrain from such action.
Thats the difference between a good and bad rider. Its also something that is generally taught by parents (and society) in a very general form and becomes even more important riding.

Having something happen once should be warning enough, but some people will never learn and probably shouldn't be on a bike. Hence the gene pool quote.
Being hurt physically or egotistically certainly helps the learning process.

Well I got on my FZ6R last week for the first time and it was a piece of cake. No harder than a Ninja 250 except for top speed. So once again if you are mature and responsible enough you can ride any bike out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the concept of the Hyosung 650. You can buy it restricted to meet the LAMS & then ride the bike on your Ls & Ps. When you graduate to your full license you take the license to the dealer & he de-restricts you 650 & you now have a fire breathing 650cc bike at your disposal.

OK, so the Hyosung isnt the greatest bike ever & doesnt exactly create arm wrenching torque.
However. Think of how much $ you spent on your 1st bike & how much you lost on resale when you upgraded. Another point is that you will step off an underpowered 250 onto a 600 or 1000cc bike that weighs an extra 30 or 40 kgs. This bike will accelerate faster, have a higher top speed, take longer to pull up & handle comletely differently to what you are used to.

Ideally I think you should be able to walk into a dealer & buy the latest greatest GSXR750 with a learners license & ride out the front door with the bike hard wired in "rain mode" or something similar so the bike meets LAMS regulations.

Why is Hyosung the only bike you can buy restricted & why havent the Japanese 4 latched onto this idea?

Ideally I think you should be able to walk into a dealer & buy the latest greatest GSXR750 with a learners license & ride out the front door with the bike hard wired in "rain mode" or something similar so the bike meets LAMS regulations.

I think the biggest hurdle there is... that the young rider get's the restricted GSXR750, then gets it de-restricted early, then goes and does something that he doesn't expect because of all the extra power.

Why is Hyosung the only bike you can buy restricted & why havent the Japanese 4 latched onto this idea?

There are a couple of bikes that can be de-restricted, but I have heard that it can cost upwards of $2000 to do it!!! Then again, I've also heard that one bike's de-restriction is as simple as bending a tab on the throttle-body away.

:rockon:

Back