First 30 degree ride

sgtjp068

Go ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
So the forcast for Monday was 65 degrees and sunny in the afternoon. I figure perfect riding weather, I throw on the jacket, helmet and gloves then roll out of the garage. Felt a little cool on my street, but when I got to cruising speed I realize its freeking cold.:eek: After a short 15 minute ride to work, my neck was frozen and hands were a little numb. My friend tells me its 37 degrees and I'm crazy for riding to work. He was half right, I do have warmer riding gear, just didn't wear it.:spank: But it was worth it in the afternoon, took the long way home, about 50 extra miles.:rockon::rockon:

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, that has happened to me about 40 million times!

I love riding with a t-shirt in the summer. But here in Africa, it can start raining like a monsoon in 2 seconds. How cold is 30 degrees, I've done 10 degrees celcius? It's probably close.

"Keep it real"

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, that has happened to me about 40 million times!

I love riding with a t-shirt in the summer. But here in Africa, it can start raining like a monsoon in 2 seconds. How cold is 30 degrees, I've done 10 degrees celcius? It's probably close.

"Keep it real"

30F is minus 1C so nowhere near 10C, that's a HUGE difference!

joshfz6.2008

Reaction score
Visit site
i know what you mean, last year i rode between xmas and new years....it was parked for a month and couldn't resist any longer

i saw your from cinncy, so you know how the weather was then since i'm only about 80 miles from ya

FeiJi

Reaction score
Visit site
I just tried to ride to work this morning for the first time. It's about 43F outside now and 73F this afternoon. Found out pretty quick that I have the wrong gloves. I got about 3 miles out and had to turn around. I could barely use the turn signal switch. Guess I need to get some better gloves.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride to school/work in the morning until the snow flies. At 6am the temps are usually -3* with -8* windchill. 100km/h for 20 mins on the highway.

Best thing you can buy is a balaclava. I bought a super cheap $5 one at a local shop and it works beauty. You wouldnt think it because its sucha light material (hold it up to a light and you can see right through it) but it actually does cut the wind beautifully.
then I use a snowboarding glove liner inside my moto gloves and it holds the cold out perfect. dont waste a great ride home cause its cold when you leave!

Fzam!

Reaction score
Visit site
Last weekend I went for a ride (Central WI). When I left in the morning it was about 32F, did warm up to about 60F in the afternoon. So worth it! Even if I was still wearing all my layers for about an hour after I got back...a little cold after the 5hr ride. And I love those 50 extra mile "shortcuts" home!

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday and today it was 42 here. I have a balaclava that's worth every penny of the $20 I paid for it!! Cortech jacket. Cortech pants. Tourmaster leather gloves with thinsulate. My nose and fingers were cold but that's all.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lol, come north to edmonton......

we get 2 months of riding in GREAT weather

then we get 2 months on either side of that with medium-goodish weather

then we get 2 months on either side of that with our average temperatures being about 30-35 celcius.

then if we are LUCKY we get 2 months on top of that (end of september into october into november)......and a lot of people put their bikes away but many of us dont.

it is very common to be riding in down to 20 farenheit (for me anyways).

past 20 farenheit ( minus 6-7 celcius) I get in a heated four wheeler. when its down to 20 farenheit the dangers are many......your visor will be permanently fogged and usually ice will form. you will need to keep it cracked pretty wide open and wear some kind of yellow sunglasses or something. you will need to take great care in dressing in layers, and pay special attention to your hands. best case scenario your hands will retain some level of feeling for 15-25 minutes. Past 25 minutes you WILL need to pull over.

Not to mention the terrible traction you will have......keep the bike near perpendicular to the ground. Get your weight wayyy off even for gradual corners. I usually ride medium compound touring tires year round. They are hard as stone and never warm up.....though no tires will warm up in those circumstances before your hands need to be warmed up....

And every chance you get warm your hands off your engine at lights. That is a great trick that will extend your range another 10 minutes or so. If it is early morning, seriously consider walking around in front of your house to gauge the amount of dew that has frozen to frost. Assume many places will have more dew/frost than in front of your house.

Even if temperatures rise over freezing over the next few hours keep in mind that many places can have 2-3 degree variations. Elevation drops, places with shadows, etc etc. These can cause a nasty tire slide. Slow down and stay as vertical as possible with your bike using your weight off the bike to turn.

All of that is assuming speeds commonly over 80kph but averaging 60kph for much of it in traffic. Slow down for corners.

Well, thats just some random tidbits of info. Hope you found some handy tips in there.

P.S. just checked local forecast for next week. We range from plus 2 celcius to minus 8 celcius as day-time HIGHs.

:D

Vroom Vroom.