Finished my Morimoto projector retrofit!

Xdsxc

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got around to installing the Morimoto HID projectors from theretrofitsource.com. They're such a huge improvement over the stock lighting! Since I do a lot of riding at night, I feel I'm a lot more visible and I can see things much easier now.

I ordered the Morimoto mini H1 kit with the xB LED halos which I mounted on the outside of the mini gatling gun shrouds. These halos are VERY bright, much brighter than CCFLs and easily visible during the day. They're yellow flat rings when off, but emit pure white light when switched on. I intend to run them as my daytime running lights since they stand out more than the projector lighting (unless I open up the highs on the projector).

Anyway here's some pics of what they look like

View attachment 46360

View attachment 46361

View attachment 46362

y5yhurud.jpg

And my mess of wires which I'll tidy up later

View attachment 46363

FX4210

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow great job! I used them for my truck and have been tempted to do the upgrade for my bike. although I want to go naked so im not sure they would get much use. I'll definitely be running projectors sometime soon.

I really like those shrouds they look great, you should do a light output example on a road. I am wondering how well they light up the street. on my truck the projectors are well spread out so it gives a really wide light.

Edit: also would love to see day pics of the housing, it looks really well done!

Xdsxc

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, it took awhile to get it where I wanted haha. I still have to aim the projectors a bit more, but I'll post a lighting shot when I get a chance.

FX4210

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright cool, I know when I did my retrofit I was a little scared to bake them. Are yours adjustable without having to re-open the housing? Because I had to hook up my lights with the cover off the housing so I could align them correctly.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Those look great - almost the exact same setup I'm going to put in this spring (one minor difference though)

. although I want to go naked so im not sure they would get much use. I'll definitely be running projectors sometime soon.

Just cause you're going naked doesn't mean no projectors - just throw in something like this -
Sportbike Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

I'm probably going with the amber xB Led halos so the ring is still visible while I have the projector on - I think I'm right that you can set it up to work that way -

Sdsxc - are you having to run the wiring any differently to have the halos as your DRLs? Another switch somewhere?

Xdsxc

Reaction score
Visit site
I intend on wiring a switch that controls the relay signal wire (which is the stock headlight power wire) to keep the head light off during the day. I wired the halos into the always on wire on the left and right turn signals.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Xdsxc

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good... Out of curiosity, how much of the shroud did you have to trim to get it to aim properly? I think I may have to take them back out and shave a bit more off.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good... Out of curiosity, how much of the shroud did you have to trim to get it to aim properly? I think I may have to take them back out and shave a bit more off.

You aim the projectors with the reflector screws on the back of the housing. I had to cut away a decent amount around the mounting post so that the shroud did not hit the reflector. Once the headlight is installed, the beam will need to be adjusted. I just did the retrofit for him.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I know when I did my retrofit I was a little scared to bake them.

I too was all spooked to bake them when I did my (non-Morimoto) bi-xenon install, but it turned out to probably be the easiest part of the whole project....

I wish that I didn't install the CCFL angel eyes, as they are useless since they can't really be seen and needed to have the extra wiring and power boxes. With LEDs working so well these days, I would have gone that route or maybe just left angel eyes off entirely.

Putting in the bi-xenon projectors is one of the most awesome mods if you ride at night. With the generic Chinese ones that I got, no modifications at all were required to the light assembly.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a similiar morimoto retrofit a couple months ago although i didn't post any photos since i am still working repairing my house from hurricane Sandy.

I went with the H1 projectors and have never really been a fan of halos. Since i already had been wired using the DDM reflector bulbs i didnt have to re-wire anything and I am using 55watt ballasts which put out a ton of light.

Very happy with the quality of the beam although I have had much time to ride this winter