Finally Got Naked!

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
So got some time this weekend and installed my VS-01 kit. Wanted to post up a few pics to share.

Before (as we all know..)
photo.jpg

And after:
Naked2.jpg

Naked1.jpg

I am not a fan of the mirrors supplied and am looking for some alternatives. I wasn't really sure I was interested in tapping the master cylinder for one mount and purchasing the clutch perch for the other side, and I don't like how far in they are currently mounted in order to avoid controls.

I kind of like the ones shown below (I stole the picture from S.D. Willie) but am not sure what bar ends can be purchased as to not have to shorten or move the grip, yet are heavy enough to avoid vibration. I don't know if bar end would be the better bet, or if going the extra mile and tapping the master cylinder and buying the FZ6R (I believe?) clutch perch would be a better route and purchasing new mirrors to mount in them. Any suggestions are great - been using the Search a lot and there is an overwhelming amount of threads related to mirrors...

FZ62.jpg

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, I know - gotta get rid of those mirrors. I read somewhere on here that the FZ8 clutch perch has a mirror mount included. Is this true? Can anyone tell me if I just order Part #1 from HERE if it works with the rest of the stock FZ6 parts, or does the whole assembly need to be ordered?

jdmdohcpower

Reaction score
Visit site
Fz8 clutch perch with fz8 mirrors. You have to drill and tap the fz6 at the flat spot on the master cylinder with a reverse thread 10 x 1.25 tap.

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to the party....the naked party! :BLAA:

I have those mirrors (or ones similar) to the ones you like in that pic. I put mine over my bar ends....works great. I used to have knockoffs of the rizoma ones....except they were knockoffs for a reason, kept falling and vibrating like crazy. These are the real ones...much more expensive, but no problems at all.

cjjones18

Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to the party....the naked party! :BLAA:

I have those mirrors (or ones similar) to the ones you like in that pic. I put mine over my bar ends....works great. I used to have knockoffs of the rizoma ones....except they were knockoffs for a reason, kept falling and vibrating like crazy. These are the real ones...much more expensive, but no problems at all.

Where did you get your bar ends and mirrors? And do the handle bars vibrate at high speeds?

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike looks great. I use the stock bar ends with cheap bar end mirrors from Cycle Gear. If you move the grips in a bit, there is a usable channel for the mirrors to clamp to. I'll take a pic tomorrow if needed.

Joe

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are two junky pics from my dark garage . . . Stock bar ends screwed into an FZ1 bar, controls moved inboard a bit, cheap Cycle Gear mirrors clamped into the channel. The narrow channel portion of the bar end is the same outside diameter as the bar.

k6m5.jpg

1k6c.jpg

Joe

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are two junky pics from my dark garage . . . Stock bar ends screwed into an FZ1 bar, controls moved inboard a bit, cheap Cycle Gear mirrors clamped into the channel. The narrow channel portion of the bar end is the same outside diameter as the bar.

Joe

Did you have any issues moving the controls in? I mean did they just slide in or was more work required? I noticed online that it looks like there's a little hole on the bars where the controls are supposed to go. So I was wondering if I slide in the controls if I have to drill out new holes.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you have any issues moving the controls in? I mean did they just slide in or was more work required? I noticed online that it looks like there's a little hole on the bars where the controls are supposed to go. So I was wondering if I slide in the controls if I have to drill out new holes.

You ether have to cut the locater off the throttle side switch assembly or drill a new hole. Its easy to drill a new hole as you have the existing "rotational hole/index" already so just move it the required distance and drill. Although FZ1 bars use a knob welded to to the RS so you have to index and drill you're own hole Plus cut off the knob as our bikes don't use it.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site

I just removed the little knob from the right side controls, IIRC. No issues moving the controls in.

Joe