Finally got my friends bike running

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have not messed with carbs in a long time. My friend has a Shadow 750. It sat for a while and would not start. It dumped gas out of the carb when trying to turn it over. Took the fuel bowl section off the bottom and cleaned the injector mechanism, the bowl and just sort of a general cleaning. Replaced the needle that sits on the float. After putting it back together, it would start and idle with no problem and no fuel leaks. As soon as you even tried to crack the throttle a little bit, it died. Someone said it was bad gas in the tank after sitting for too long. We drained the tank and fuel bowl in the carb - then filled with fresh gas. Had the exact same problem. After researching and thinking about it, we took the fuel bowl back off and removed the slow and main jets. The slow jet was completely clogged. Could not see through the hole at all. After thoroughly cleaning both jets and reassembling, the bike runs great!! Felt good to finally figure out the problem. :wav:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have not messed with carbs in a long time. My friend has a Shadow 750. It sat for a while and would not start. It dumped gas out of the carb when trying to turn it over. Took the fuel bowl section off the bottom and cleaned the injector mechanism, the bowl and just sort of a general cleaning. Replaced the needle that sits on the float. After putting it back together, it would start and idle with no problem and no fuel leaks. As soon as you even tried to crack the throttle a little bit, it died. Someone said it was bad gas in the tank after sitting for too long. We drained the tank and fuel bowl in the carb - then filled with fresh gas. Had the exact same problem. After researching and thinking about it, we took the fuel bowl back off and removed the slow and main jets. The slow jet was completely clogged. Could not see through the hole at all. After thoroughly cleaning both jets and reassembling, the bike runs great!! Felt good to finally figure out the problem. :wav:
It's carbureted, I could have told you that :D

Good work though, always feels great to bring something back to life again. (even if it has the devil's injection :eek: )

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
On so many bikes it is so difficult to get the carbs on and off, especially if the rubber boots have hardened like is usually the case. Usually, when I do get them off and depending on how much of a hurry I'm in, I'll just replace the jets with new rather than trying to clean them. That way I don't have to take them off\on multiple times. Plus, the jets are usually pretty inexpensive.

It seems as though carbs get gummed up easier now days with the gas mixture we have. Maybe not, but I sure am a fan of fuel injection! What a huge improvement on both, autos and motorcycles.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
MG-242, I know what you mean by them pain in the butt rubber boots. But I found a few minutes with a heat gun makes things a little easier.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
MG-242, I know what you mean by them pain in the butt rubber boots. But I found a few minutes with a heat gun makes things a little easier.

That is a GREAT tool for loosening bolts that have had red locktite on them, too!! 750 degrees at 3 to 4 minutes works great.:rockon: