Finally got around to taking a some pics of my slightly modded FZ6

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought this FZ6 last July bone stock with ~800 miles on it. It replaced a BMW K1200RS, quite some shoes, but i was looking for something lighter, more agile, less maintenance intensive, and more fuel frugal. Wasn't sure at first if the FZ would last, but but seems to be a great fit now that i've personalized it a bit.

First up pod lights with 35w HID low and low/high.
4-6-20107-40-46PM_0031.jpg

I did the dual light mod, but also added a switch so i can ride with the lights in the stock orientation. The switch is on the left fairing. The metal toggle is for the grip heaters.
4-6-20107-37-44PM_0025.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the FZ6 graphics, so they had to go. I may eventually get around to getting the stickers off of the black side pieces as well.
4-6-20107-35-53PM_0020.jpg

After having luggage on my previous bikes, i love how practical it makes the bike. I really don't care for the look, but to me the FZ6 really isn't that pretty of a bike anyways...:eek: The 2 21l side cases plus the 39l top case give me a a 81l carrying capacity. Very useful.
4-6-20107-37-14PM_0023.jpg

4-6-20107-37-29PM_0024.jpg

As a matter of a fact, they work great for teh weekly grocery run
5-6-20106-47-06AM_0001.jpg

One custom touch was a 12v outlet on the triple tree. Works great for the GPS. The red light is a LED voltage indicator.
4-6-20107-36-13PM_0021.jpg

4-6-20107-39-14PM_0028.jpg

I also have a SAE connector that comes from below the tank that can be used to electrify my tankbag or for my heated jacket. That, the 12v outlet, the grip heaters and the Stebel horn are fused through a panel i have mounted under the seat.
4-6-20107-44-27PM_0032.jpg

And as you can see in some of the other pics, i have Barkbuster Storm handguards. I have them purely to keep the wind off my hands on cold days. They aren't the prettiest, but they work and still allow me to use the throttlemeister throttle lock.

The goal of the bike is to make something comfortable for everything i do from commuting daily to the 650+ mile days i do ride across the state to hit some twisties with friends then ride back home. So far the bike is taking it like a champ.

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Good choice on mods! Love the pod lights, and all the extra wiring you have done, (switches and fuse panels) I'm sure it's very useful.

I have to say, I don't really agree with you as far as the beauty of the FZ6. I think my FZ is very pretty! One thing we can agree on, is that our FZ6 is a very versatile bike. You can go down the touring/comfort route, or the custom/streetfighter route, or any other route you'd like to take. Loads of options out there.

Rhadamygg

Reaction score
Visit site
Great bike, man. What is the utility of the pod lights, how hard are they to put in?

That set up is so close to what I want to do with my FZ6.

On a thread elsewhere I had heard that heated gear on this bike wasn't a good choice because of the overall wattage of the bike. Have you encountered any problems with this, or found a way around it?

RhadamYgg

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice job, It's very clean work you have done. You have alot of food in your saddlebags/cases. Can I have some? You seem to be good at the wiring. Thats one of my flaws. Cosmetics aren't really an issue for me but the electrical stuff is like SWOOSH over my head. Let us know how you like the fz6 jump. Im quite curious. Unusual to jump from 1200 to 600

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
Great bike, man. What is the utility of the pod lights, how hard are they to put in?

That set up is so close to what I want to do with my FZ6.

On a thread elsewhere I had heard that heated gear on this bike wasn't a good choice because of the overall wattage of the bike. Have you encountered any problems with this, or found a way around it?

RhadamYgg

The pod lights weren't too hard to install. There is a thread somewhere on here with a part number for the bulb sockets. Just a bit of wiring and some using a dremil and they were in. I really like the look.

As for the heated gear, you are correct that there can be problems. That is one of the main reasons i installed the voltage monitor. I went through my observations in a previous thread:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/29036-anyone-still-wondering-if-fz6-can-power-heated-jacket.html

Rhadamygg

Reaction score
Visit site
The pod lights weren't too hard to install. There is a thread somewhere on here with a part number for the bulb sockets. Just a bit of wiring and some using a dremil and they were in. I really like the look.

As for the heated gear, you are correct that there can be problems. That is one of the main reasons i installed the voltage monitor. I went through my observations in a previous thread:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/29036-anyone-still-wondering-if-fz6-can-power-heated-jacket.html

Cool - thanks man. I'll check it out. The pod lights definitely add something to the bike.

RhadamYgg

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice job, It's very clean work you have done. You have alot of food in your saddlebags/cases. Can I have some? You seem to be good at the wiring. Thats one of my flaws. Cosmetics aren't really an issue for me but the electrical stuff is like SWOOSH over my head. Let us know how you like the fz6 jump. Im quite curious. Unusual to jump from 1200 to 600

I'm definitely liking it. The way i ride (mostly commuting), i really didn't need the 130hp of the bmw. The monsterous torque would be nice sometimes, but i don't miss the 35mpg on premium fuel... I like my (relatively) light, little FZ6. I did forget to mention that stock the FZ6 was really lacking in the suspension department. The R6 front forks really helped that. Now to save for that Ohlins or Wilbers rear shock to even things up.