Finally decided on a GPS....

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
Im really interested in how this holds up in the long run. I have a note 10.1 and finally figured out the whole gps thing (maps are always available even without wifi or data; a concept i didnt understand off the bat). I agree that this is the best gps platform yet, and very well may be the future of gps. I need to look into waterproofing and how long the nexus 7 holds up after a lot of mileage! Please keep us updated. I need a new gps soon and am really considering this route!

A little over 1000 miles of twisty back roads so far so good....;)

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you go about saving maps for offline use? Is that a feature of the "newer" android OS? I have an older gen Lenovo android tablet and an iPhone, would love to be able to expand their use!

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that's a great feature! Just found it in the options menu, never tried using the tablet for GPS before (no cell chip) - might have to try it out!

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
On my (admittedly older) tablet it looks like you can save 6 "blocks". Granted, in that kind of room if you plan ahead you can always download the next set at a conveniently timed Starbucks! I don't see myself ever mounting my 10" behemoth on my bike (especially since it requires stupid proprietary Lenovo chargers to work) but if I ever went to a 7" tablet I might consider it!

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
how is the touchscreen? my 660 works with gloves on, not sure about tablets ...

Can you upload a bunch of tracks on there for when you're taking a trip?

How easy is it to unmount. when i have to do a quick stop (eg tankstation) i take my gps and pop it in my pocket for safe keeping, with a big tablet you'll get a lot more attention.

Seems great for short trips but i don't know how handy it will be on long ones

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a nuvi 1300 and I have found that I cannot upload routes from basecamp....

It is my understanding that the NUVI units do not accept routes created in basecamp....

this creates a problem for me because I do NOT want to drop $500 on a new GPS just to create routes....this also sucks because all of the work I just did to plan a route for my trip in August is moot unless i find another solution....

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I decided to give the tablet GPS thing a try. I picked up a like new iconia a500 from craigslist yesterday. Can't wait to try it on the bike. A bit too cold right now. I'm going to mount it on my top box project.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:Sport: BUMP!!

Hey CKRockets, thanks for the info. Could we get a one-year update? :Flash:

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all...the system is still working perfectly...I still stand by my opinion that this is the best gps setup one can have on your bike...plus all the other benefits that go along with it...I use google voice to route my text messages to my tablet so I can see right away when my Wife texts me when I am out on a long ride....plus email and internet :)

One major thing did happen which really sucks...new google maps does not support terrain view or my maps....i really like terrain view as I live and do all my riding in the mountains of NC...no my maps support completely shutdown the ability to create routes on my laptop and then use them on the tablet....my tablet did a forced system update which includes the new google maps...i had to spend over 6 hours researching how to wipe my tablet and reinstall the original OS and then shut off the forced system update....so now I will permanently run the 2 year old nexus 7 OS so I will always have the old version of google maps which still supports terrain view and my maps...:rockon:

I suspect if anyone buys a new nexus tablet they can put an older OS on it to use the old google maps...if not then they will have to use the new google maps which has no terrain view and no route building capability(as far as I know)....

I did change to a longer RAM mount arm and to a down angle micro usb power cable...

tn

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
Tablet as GPS using Google Maps, 4 years and still going strong. I've updated tablets using a Samsung Galaxy 8 and the proprietary RAM mount for it. Still using the same ball and extension from original setup. I'm still of the opinion this is the way to go over a dedicated GPS, even though Garmin is making strides. The one weak link I've found is the charging system. You have to use at minimum a 2A DC converter or the tablet will not stay charged for long rides. The one I'm currently using now (2nd one) is a no name brand off of Amazon. It has some leakage current issues so I have to leave my bike on the tender or the battery will be dead in days. If someone has a suggestion for a high quality 5V 2A micro usb DC converter please let me know. I need to invest in a more quality robust charging system as I'm going on a 6 day 2000 mile ride in July. Google has updated Maps a bunch of times and it has gotten better than a few years ago. You can do everything now in normal Google Maps including running terrain view and creating routes BUT your way points are limited to 20 or so. Even for very complicated 400 mile twisty routes I am still able to get it on one route. Anything above that you'll have to make multiple routes, which is what I'm planning on my 6 day ride in July. Most likely 6 routes one for each day.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had this converter (12 volts to 5 volts-for my first "car GPS") made up sometime ago.
It was hooked up to my directional running light wire (hot with ignition on). No additional voltage draw.

This is waterproof and made specifically for the bike. The rectangular part is the voltage converter.

I forgot if the company was Tour-a-Tech or Techmount

The mount itself is for a Garmin 2350, I currently have a 590.

If interested, make an offer..

Last edited:

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the offer, but I need a 12v to 5V (2A min) converter that terminates at a standard usb female port, preferably with 2 or more ports.

Anyone know the highest quality charger setups out there? Say something the hardcore touring guys use.

Thanks

I had this converter (12 volts to 5 volts-for my first "car GPS") made up sometime ago.
It was hooked up to my directional running light wire (hot with ignition on). No additional voltage draw.

This is waterproof and made specifically for the bike. The rectangular part is the voltage converter.

I forgot if the company was Tour-a-Tech or Techmount

The mount itself is for a Garmin 2350, I currently have a 590.

If interested, make an offer..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Contact Tour a Tech,

Looking at the website, I remember now they custom made my cable shown and it was very reasonable..

*Just make sure the cable to the battery is fairly heavy. My initial one was way to light and I had issues (the line was so small) hooking up to power..

https://touratech-usa.com/Motorcycle-GPS-Power-Cables?p=1