FAZR6 FE Install Question

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm at the start of this guide, and I just took the left pod off.

The way I understood the directions and other posts I got from searching this forum, is that I'm now supposed to take apart the plastic exhaust shroud, or at least remove the "bolt" underneath. So I see this screw, and I try to loosen it. There is no way this screw is coming off in one piece.

In the attached blurry as hell picture you can see the screwdriver I'm using, and I'm beginning to strip the screw by attempting to turn it, so I stopped. If you need a better picture I can get one, but I'm laying on the ground looking at the underside of the bike here.

Am I having a dumb day and going about this wrong, or do I need to whip out the WD40 or something?

Thanks!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Ummm it's hard to tell from your pic, but that screw looks like a 'torx' head screw and not a standard phillips head screw.

You need the correct size torx screwdriver to remove torx head screws. Phillips screwdrivers will only destroy them and cause you a bigger mess.

TORX
Torx-Recess-Screws.jpg

PHILLIPS
34-Phillips.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know of 2 ways to get it out (I'm sure there are many others out there).

1. Use Dremel with a thin cutting wheel. Cut a fairly deep slot into the bolt head and use a flat blade screwdriver to get it out. Alternatively you can cut a cross into the bolt head and use a phillips screwdriver to get it out.

2. Extractor bit. These are usually sold as a kit: drill bit + extractor. You first drill a lillte way into the bolt head and then use extractor bit which firmly screws into the newly drilled hole and usually gets stripped bolts right out.

Good luck!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of screws are a little seized when you try to get them out. A trick I've use repeatedly that has worked for removing screws that size is to place the tip of the driver in the screw and as you apply pressure, wack the handle of the screw drive and twist at the same time. This of course works better on a screw that hasn't been boogered in the first place. Additionally a penetrating oil and heat will also help although you may not be able to use flame heat you can use a blow dryer. A few degrees can sometimes work miracles....:D