Fantasy Football League

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

Just trying to gauge interest for a Fantasy Football League. I'd noticed that there have been Fantasy Leagues for the past 2-3 years, so just wanted to check in and see whether the usual suspects were planning to do it again this year.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never played either but I did just watch most or at least half of the show The League this weekend. So I might give it a go. I'd probably badger you with a bunch of noob questions. :D

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
@dpaul007

I've pretty much only played on CBS, but ESPN or anything else is fine by me. I was figuring on taking a vote on this anyway once we had the numbers.

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
Running count of people so far:

1. Azrael
2. Sdotterer014
3. Humperdinkel
4. xgrafcorex
5. dpaul007(?) - Not sure whether you're in but putting down tentatively
6. Rookie08FZ6

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done Yahoo Fantasy Football for the last 4 years and was the commish for 3 of the years. I've done small leagues 4 teams and biggest I've done is 10. I like Yahoo a lot and have heard good things compared to some of the other ones (ESPN for example).

Things to decide before starting
1. League size: Honestly an 8 team league is probably the most fun. It's competitive and not too frustrating. The more teams you get involved the fewer good options available. What usually happens with a big league 10+ is 1-2 guys run away with it and 1-2 guys really suck.

2: Money: Do you want the league to be for prize or not. I've typically played in $100-150 leagues. The payouts are based on size of the league for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Also if you want to pay out weekly top scores winners. For instance the $150 league I played in was 10 teams, 1st paid out $450, 2nd $300, 3rd $150 with weekly highest score getting $35

3. Scoring: Standard scoring format often gets adjusted in a couple ways. The biggest scoring factor to consider is if you want a PPR league, Points Per Reception, typically it can be as high as 1 point per reception to as low as 0.25 points per reception. Rushing and Receiving yards typically have 10 yards = 1 point. However, passing yards I've seen from 25-30 yards to = 1 point. The last way people adjust is with the defensive scoring 0-6 points, 7-13, 14-20, etc can be adjusted. The douchiest thing that I've ever experienced is one commish one year thought it would be funny if they had a -5 points for 35+ points. Needless to say the extra penalty sucks.

4. Draft: Decide if it's going to be an auto-draft or a live draft. Either one is fun, but if money is involved most people like a little more control of the live draft.

I'm interested to participate, depends on what you (commish) decides. If you need a commish I'd be more than happy to do it.

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
@Ssky0078

Well, if you're interested in participating then that brings the grand total up to 9 guys. I was kind of hoping to get 10 (12 max.) to make it competitive.

I'm already in a paid league so I'm not too interested in paying more than $50 for this league. If there are people interested in having a large pot, we could have them send the buy-in to the commish with the dole being handed out if they come in 1st, 2nd or 3rd or any other assigned prize. The remainder would then be equally divvied up and given back to the paying members. Let me know what people think of this, since I know there are some people here who want to play just for fun or bragging rights.

I was planning on being commish more out of the fact that I started the thread, but I'm not married to it. If you want to do it then sure, go for it.

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
Running count of people so far:

1. Azrael
2. Sdotterer014
3. Humperdinkel
4. xgrafcorex
5. dpaul007
6. Rookie08FZ6
7. derek533
8. Ssky0078 (tentative)
9. 7UPyours

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done Yahoo Fantasy Football for the last 4 years and was the commish for 3 of the years. I've done small leagues 4 teams and biggest I've done is 10. I like Yahoo a lot and have heard good things compared to some of the other ones (ESPN for example).

Things to decide before starting
1. League size: Honestly an 8 team league is probably the most fun. It's competitive and not too frustrating. The more teams you get involved the fewer good options available. What usually happens with a big league 10+ is 1-2 guys run away with it and 1-2 guys really suck.

2: Money: Do you want the league to be for prize or not. I've typically played in $100-150 leagues. The payouts are based on size of the league for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Also if you want to pay out weekly top scores winners. For instance the $150 league I played in was 10 teams, 1st paid out $450, 2nd $300, 3rd $150 with weekly highest score getting $35

3. Scoring: Standard scoring format often gets adjusted in a couple ways. The biggest scoring factor to consider is if you want a PPR league, Points Per Reception, typically it can be as high as 1 point per reception to as low as 0.25 points per reception. Rushing and Receiving yards typically have 10 yards = 1 point. However, passing yards I've seen from 25-30 yards to = 1 point. The last way people adjust is with the defensive scoring 0-6 points, 7-13, 14-20, etc can be adjusted. The douchiest thing that I've ever experienced is one commish one year thought it would be funny if they had a -5 points for 35+ points. Needless to say the extra penalty sucks.

4. Draft: Decide if it's going to be an auto-draft or a live draft. Either one is fun, but if money is involved most people like a little more control of the live draft.

I'm interested to participate, depends on what you (commish) decides. If you need a commish I'd be more than happy to do it.

Sorry, forgot to address your whole post. Regarding scoring, I've only ever played Standard Scoring, but PPR sounds fun too. Regarding drafting, I'd like it be a Live Draft just because I like to see how its going before I pick, with the option of Autodraft for people who don't care, or can't make it.