EZ Pass ... Where to mount it?

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Those of you that live in the Delaware valley, New York, Mass. know EZ Pass. (Automated toll collection device) But I hate taking it out of my pocket to hold it up to be recognized then put back in my pocket.

Anyone find a spot to mount it?

_EZPASS.JPG

H

HavBlue

Wow, you actually use one of those on a bike? I used to ride for free on the Fast-Track in So Cal. The bike couldn't be picked up by the camera and I learned that trick from a CHP rider; dang sensing equipment was never designed to pick up the gap between the sensor array. All we did was ride the white line through the tracking station.

As far as the actual transmitter goes why take it out of your pocket? The device has no problem going through the roof and headliner of a cage so why would it not work while remaining in your pocket? Just a thought.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the actual transmitter goes why take it out of your pocket? The device has no problem going through the roof and headliner of a cage so why would it not work while remaining in your pocket? Just a thought.

Tried that... didn't work. There are handlebar mounts that I found but I really don't want a mount on my bars...looks terrible.

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Hey Steve I live in Delaware and have the Delaware version of easy pass I assume it is the same as the rest of the northeast Delaware got out on their own to gain the rewards of the system about 5 years ago .In Delaware they have a website that you can access your account and log in all of your license plate numbers as long as you have your plate registered with your account you are covered if your transponder does not register .What they do is before issuing a ticket they run that tag through the system and just charge your account .. by the way the transponder WILL transmit through cloths ,If you wanted you could mount it under your car and it will pick it up . If they don't have a web site in NJ.just call the main office and add that plate . A few years ago I went to Florida with a friend and I said I would pay the tolls I added his plate number and no problems we didn't even take the transponder with us .. Welcome To E-ZPass

Last edited:

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
before I used to keep my EZ pass behind the windscreen tucked and "secured" with a hat. Then one day I was riding in the city and I was on 5th Ave and i hit a bump and the EZ pass fell out. All I could think was F*CK busy traffic and sh*t, luckily it managed to get tangled up on some wires and brake lines, so when I pulled over I was able to get it easily.

Now I use velcro to secure it in more-or-less the same spot. I went to Pepboys and bought some black velcro strips (roughly $3). I'm loving velcro right now. I've used it to secure my EZ pass, to keep my drop in back protector in the perfect spot of my jacket, keep my registration card and insurance velcroed under my seat. Keeping it attached to the under side of the seat is kinda nice because when you put the seat back on it doesn't block anything (this happens sometimes because I keep both in one of those little folder/wallets). I buy strips sometimes on a random trip trying to come up with more uses.

Velcro FTW!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea there is a company that makes a Techmount that is set up to hold that EZ pass system on the bars.

Or you could velcro it to the front brake master cylinder.

What about velcro on the side of the bar riser.

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine has suction cups and I stick it to the back of the windscreen as far down inside as I can reach. If your only means of affixation is velcro I'd put it behind the windscreen on top of the console. That area doesn't get enough turbulence to suck the pass out if you tuck it down in there. If you use a tank bag that has a see-through map compartment you could probably put it there too.

I only have mine out when I know I'm going to be riding through tolls. Then I put it away when the toll roads have been navigated.

Jake

PhillyMatt

Reaction score
Visit site
i have had mine on the wind shield for 6 months, some of the tolls only take the "motorcycle" EZ pass, it is triggered by weight. I tried to use my car's EZ pass on my motorcycle and it didn't work. It has fallend once, out of the several dozen times i have used it.

FzPilot

Reaction score
www.borczm.com
Hey Steve I live in Delaware and have the Delaware version of easy pass I assume it is the same as the rest of the northeast Delaware got out on their own to gain the rewards of the system about 5 years ago .In Delaware they have a website that you can access your account and log in all of your license plate numbers as long as you have your plate registered with your account you are covered if your transponder does not register .What they do is before issuing a ticket they run that tag through the system and just charge your account .. by the way the transponder WILL transmit through cloths ,If you wanted you could mount it under your car and it will pick it up . If they don't have a web site in NJ.just call the main office and add that plate . A few years ago I went to Florida with a friend and I said I would pay the tolls I added his plate number and no problems we didn't even take the transponder with us .. Welcome To E-ZPass

That is correct. Keep in mind however, some toll booths have a gate that will not open unless you have the device on you and it can be red.

Also, keep in mind that the device has to be positioned with the back slightly facing up for it to work (same company makes all devices for different states)
Tucking it in between the bottom of the wind-screen and fairing works well, but as someone stated it can "jump" out when hitting a nice bump.

I have mounted mine under the fairing, it works through plastic and it's invisible to thiefs.

I am not sure about different states, but in Illinois and Indiana you will get picked when blowing a tool in EzPass (I-Pass) lane. I have gotten a ticket with nice license plate picture before purchasing the unit.

Cheers!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
EZpass has the database that compares your plate to your account, if you have the bike on the account and the camera does happen to pick you up, they will just automatically charge you the $.75 or whatever. I never even take it with me on the bike and it only picks the bike up every 10th or so time anyway, so no big deal...

I figure that it isn't my fault that their crappy equipment can't work properly. also it is payback for me getting stuck at stupid red lights that also don't register a bike...

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is correct. Keep in mind however, some toll booths have a gate that will not open unless you have the device on you and it can be red.

Also, keep in mind that the device has to be positioned with the back slightly facing up for it to work (same company makes all devices for different states)
Tucking it in between the bottom of the wind-screen and fairing works well, but as someone stated it can "jump" out when hitting a nice bump.

I have mounted mine under the fairing, it works through plastic and it's invisible to thiefs.

I am not sure about different states, but in Illinois and Indiana you will get picked when blowing a tool in EzPass (I-Pass) lane. I have gotten a ticket with nice license plate picture before purchasing the unit.

Cheers!

Yeah this works, I placed my EZPass under the fairing as well. I've attached a close up view of it. I am standing on the left hand side of the handlebar and you will notice the left headlight bulb rubber cover on the picture, it is the white item in the middle of the picture. The rest you can just imagine or look at your bike first hand. Good Luck.

Last edited:

jimcisme

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Houston we have "EZ Tag" they gave me an older style one for the bike and I just put it in my pocket, works great. Unless I forget and leave in in the other jacket.:D