Looking at some gauges

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if this is the correct spot to post this but anyway here we go.

On top of my FZ6 I also have a 1982 Yamaha Seca 550. Practically the older brother to the FZ6. Well this Seca is about to undergo a cafe transformation in the next few months and one of the items on the list of things to change is the gauges. Now getting new gauges is quite easy and simple, unless you're picky like me. I want to get electronic controlled gauges that have an old fashioned analog look to them. The bike leaks oil from the tach cable and I hate the speedo cable just hanging out of the front wheel. What fixes both those issues... Electronic gauges.

So the goal: Electronic Gauges with an analog style. And not to break the bank.

I found these that I love, but can only find them in the UK. I live in the US and the exchange rate hurts too.
https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/g...classic-japanese-dial-tachometer-10k-12k-p607
https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/g...lassic-japanese-dial-140-mph-speedometer-p606

Or these
https://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/motorcycle-mx/tnt-01s/
https://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/motorcycle-mx/tnt-01/

Anyone else have other suggestions that also may be less expensive?

Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
An important concept to be aware of is that much of the information displayed comes from the ECU/ECM. There is a data line from the ECU to a CPU within the instrument cluster that displays the information. This means that some of the data is not discrete for a particular sensor but instead integrated within the ECU from the individual sensors and then sent to the cluster, decoded and displayed on it's readout.

So I would say that you must confirm compatibility of any custom display you might use. :)

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer the looks of the Smith gauges, but you will want indicators for neutral, high beams and directionals so the Koso gauges may be more practical. I was able to have a custom instrument hold made for my cafe racer, that allowed me to reuse the OEM lights.

Cafe Racer Instrument.jpg

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's another view while the bike was under construction

Cafe Unpainted IP3.jpg

Here's what I started with. You'll see the indicators on the top. I was able to reuse everything but the neutral light, which was simple to fix.

Cafe Before 3.jpg

Think about it, you might be able to reuse the OEM indicator lights and use nice gauges like the smith units.

Last edited:

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION], Luckily this bike doesn't have a CPU. These gauges are meant to be hooked right up to the spot they are sensing.

Gary in NJ, that looks really good! What gauges are those that you are using?
And yes, I know the lights are a thing, but first I want to see whats out there in the gauge world. If I went with the Smiths I may just make something custom also.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION], Luckily this bike doesn't have a CPU. These gauges are meant to be hooked right up to the spot they are sensing.

Gary in NJ, that looks really good! What gauges are those that you are using?
And yes, I know the lights are a thing, but first I want to see whats out there in the gauge world. If I went with the Smiths I may just make something custom also.

Sorry going too fast.... :)

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My speedo & tach are fairly common and can be found on a lot of websites. The speedo is cable driven. It works well on my bike as the speedo reads 10% low (if it shows 60, you're actually going 66). That's the nice thing about a Hall effect speedo, it can be calibrated to perfection. I have a digital speedo/analog tach combo on my DRZ Street Tracker and the Hall effect electronic speedo is spot on accurate.

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
My reasoning to go electronic for both is so that I can hide the wires. Its way too difficult to hide cables, but wires is simple and easy.

If it wasnt for the hiding of the wires I would probably just stick with mechanically driven, but I have a tendency to be a perfectionist.