Eyewear?

boogiecram

Reaction score
Visit site
I was crusin' down the freeway doing about 80 and this guy on a harley passes me. I notice that he is not wearing a helmet, which is common in AZ because it is not a law, but I also notice that he is not even wearing eye protection! I thought to myself, this guy is insane. If I have my visor up I can do about 40 max before the wind really gets to my eyes, and this guy is doing 80! He must be blinded right now. That got me thinking about what other people wear for eyewear.

I know most of you wear helmets, as do I, but do you like sunglasses under the helmet or tinted visors? Just curious.

W

wrightme43

Tinted visor unless its night or raining, I carry a pair of sunglasses in case I have the clear shield on and it brightens up or I want to ride slow with the shield up.

J

jsteinb95

I wore sunglasses before I got my tinted visor and it's kind of a distraction. My sunglasses wouldn't stay in place. So.....tinted visor for me. :thumbup:

Yeah....I can't go very fast with my visor up. I don't know how these people ride without a shield over their eyes.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nearly the same as Wrightme43. I use a tinted visor but have sunglasses and a clear visor in my tank bag. I could do with just the sunglasses and clear visor, but I like the tinted visor because it's out of the way.

Come to think of it, I don't know why I have the sunglasses. Maybe in case I go somewhere and walk around in the sun?? :cool:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some type of protective eyewear is mandatory here in Nevada, and of course helmet. I have a dark smoke visor during daylight hours and wear clear safety glasses at night riding with my visor up.

BH17

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear sunglasses under if its pretty damn sunny out, otherwise my clear visor is up unless bugs are out... haha yes i have had some bugs get stuck in my eye/under my eye lid haha. No good!

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Clear lens and polarised sunglasses. Polarised glasses are a must to reduce glare. I'm looking for a tinted visor for the summer but haven't ridden with one yet.

Pete

Pete Pete Pete
Reaction score
www.flickr.com
My helmet has an inner tinted visor that can be retracts into the helmet structure leaving the normal clear visor, really useful as I have to wear glasses so not having to carry around prescription sunnies.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently broke a visor during a trip from Virginia to Indiana and back. I think the visor plastic just got brittle as it was probably 6 or 7 years old. The 40 miles (at 50 mph) to the nearest MC dealer was a real pain in the eyes. From now on I'm packing a spare visor in the old tailbag.

rottenkid

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's sunny I have a pair of Oakleys, with Iridium lenses, with the arms cut short. They fit great under my helmet and are really good at reducing glare. They are not distracting att all. I was told that polarized was not a good idea, because you might not be able to see oil on the road. I have not tried polarized, but that is what I was told at an Oakley store.

boogiecram

Reaction score
Visit site
My helmet has an inner tinted visor that can be retracts into the helmet structure leaving the normal clear visor, really useful as I have to wear glasses so not having to carry around prescription sunnies.

What kind of helmet is this? It sounds like a very useful feature.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Clear lens and polarised sunglasses. Polarised glasses are a must to reduce glare. I'm looking for a tinted visor for the summer but haven't ridden with one yet.

Exactly the same here. I use only a clear shield and I have a pair of Maui Jim's which takes out ALL the glare. I keep my hardshell case for them with me for when it starts to get dark out.

I'm looking at the HJC FS-10 helmet put out to compete with the EXO-1000 as they both have the inner sun visor. Anyone have an opinion on the FS-10? It's only $189 at New Enough! $259 at the stealership.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a dark smoke visor during daylight hours and wear clear safety glasses at night riding with my visor up.

Brilliant in it's simplicity.....I'm keeping a pair of safety glasses in my jacket pocket form now on. It doesn't happen often, but I get caught out after dark sometimes without my clear shield. This will be a great backup plan. Thanks for the idea!

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Brilliant in it's simplicity.....I'm keeping a pair of safety glasses in my jacket pocket form now on. It doesn't happen often, but I get caught out after dark sometimes without my clear shield. This will be a great backup plan. Thanks for the idea!

One of the guys that races enduros with me swears by his work-assigned safety glasses. He never wears goggles.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
one day I (feeling squidly :squid:) ran to the corner store w/just my sunglasses on. I dont see how people can even do it. It was the most uncomfortable, strange feeling I ever had (& my g/f yelled at me for it) on a bike. I will never do it again! The same goes for gloves... ever had a rock hit you on the hand at 60? OWWWWWW!

WATGATT

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Very cool. I've seen helmets like that and I'd like to try one.

B

Bo67

I wear a tinted visor with clear safety glasses during the day and a clear shield/clear safety glasses at night. When I used to wear contact lenses I had to wear the glasses or else my eyes would dry out. I don't need contacts anymore but even with the shield down a bug or some dirt can still get into the helmet from the chin area once in a while.

I tried the Scorpion EXO 1000 helmet on. It is one that has the retractable tinted visor and an air pump for adjusting the cheek pads. It's a nice helmet but i decided to buy the EXO 700 instead and just bought a tinted shield for it.

Beknatok

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always worn clear visors with sunglasses underneath. Usually I wear Wiley-X's which are ANSI rated safety glasses, used heavily by the military.