Extremely Loose Throttle Housing/Grip

huy

Reaction score
Visit site
I just noticed yesterday that the entire throttle and kill switch housing is completely loose. It will slide off of the handlebars with very little pressure and only stops because of the throttle cable. I can also rotate it freely around the handlebars with no resistance. :eek:

After reading this thread (http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/27380-fz1-handlebars-installation.html) I think I am missing whatever tab it is that shims the housing to the handle bars. Can someone let me know what I can do/use to get it to stop spinning? Pictures of said tab?

I never noticed this before yesterday but it makes rolling on/off the throttle hard with the entire housing rotating.

Bike information: 2006 FZ6 bought a couple months ago. Bike was dropped on the right hand side before I got it.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you tried tightening the screws?

Ditto. While the tab will totally imobilize the throttle assembly, you should be able to keep it torqued down and not moving as long as the screws are full tightened.

If for some reason this isnt working for you and you dont want to buy a new throttle setup, maybe "shim it" by wraping some tape around the bar under the assembly.

huy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I didn't mention it but tightening was the first thing I tried. I also unscrewed all 3 screws and replaced them but that didn't do anything either.

I think some tape might do the trick but it will probably start to lose its adhesiveness after a while?

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I didn't mention it but tightening was the first thing I tried. I also unscrewed all 3 screws and replaced them but that didn't do anything either.

I think some tape might do the trick but it will probably start to lose its adhesiveness after a while?

I wouldn't worry about the tape losing its grip. The main thing you want to do is add a few thousandths to the diameter of the bar, allowing the screws to push against something, letting them act as set screws. Few wraps of tape ought to sort it out.

huy

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about the tape losing its grip. The main thing you want to do is add a few thousandths to the diameter of the bar, allowing the screws to push against something, letting them act as set screws. Few wraps of tape ought to sort it out.

Alright. I'll definitely give this a try, pretty sure this would work out great.

Thanks for the help. Was pretty scared when I was on the expressways.

Macca FZ6N

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I did a search and couldn't find anything, this was the closest thread to what I needed. When I was adjusting the throttle housing I only saw one screw so I undid that and went to move it and broke the bracket that clamps the throttle housing to the bars. My question is, does anyone have a part number for that clamp or can someone get them or does anyone have a spare lying around or am I going to have to buy a brand new housing?

Thanks guys.

Macca.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Macca FZ6N

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, that sucks. It seems stupid that you can't order parts internal of that housing. Thanks for your help mate, I guess I'm on the hunt for a cheap switch housing.

Macca.