Exhaust Wrap opinions

Lightndattic

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all... I've got my bike torn down for mods and repairs and while it's down to the frame, I decided to throw some exhaust wrap on the stock exhaust from just aft of the cat through the can to try to lower the seat temps somewhat. Toasty buns are nice in most cases, but it limits my riding endurance in the Texas summer heat.

My experience with exhaust wrap comes from my friends who have wrapped the stock, cast iron exhaust of their cars and there was much discussion about retaining too much heat and damaging the piping itself.

My question is this- Has anyone wrapped their stock exhausts in this manner and if so have you experienced any problems?

Hello all... I've got my bike torn down for mods and repairs and while it's down to the frame, I decided to throw some exhaust wrap on the stock exhaust from just aft of the cat through the can to try to lower the seat temps somewhat. Toasty buns are nice in most cases, but it limits my riding endurance in the Texas summer heat.

My experience with exhaust wrap comes from my friends who have wrapped the stock, cast iron exhaust of their cars and there was much discussion about retaining too much heat and damaging the piping itself.

My question is this- Has anyone wrapped their stock exhausts in this manner and if so have you experienced any problems?
This is a question similar to which chain lube to use or what oil or whether to do the airbox mod or not! You are never going to get a definitive answer. Everyone has different experiences where it has worked or not worked. Personally I think it looks like ass - but you may be more concerned with temps and it's quite hidden. I would recommend a decat pipe to reduce underseat heat though. On mild steel pipes I've heard stories of it making them rot faster - but also people who were perfectly happy with it. On our stainless steel pipes this won't be quite as much a problem of course.

If you're happy with the looks and want the heat reducing I say go for it! Don't forget it will make the end cans hotter as less heat is lost before reaching them - so don't rest anything on them. Of course, if you have a passenger they may feel extra heat from behind them from the cans.

Back