Exhaust re-packing

99vengeur

Reaction score
Visit site
For those of you rolling with the Two Brothers exhaust systems, how many actually re-pack the can every 3000 miles like they suggest to do?

If you do not, how often do you re-pack it then, if at all?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 20k on mine, never repacked them.

I'm sure they would sound a lot crisper and maybe a little quieter though if I did.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I talked to the boys at 2bros and was told to repack between 5 and 10K as our inline 4's run cooler than v twins. Also was warned not to go too long with the carbon fiber cans as the heat due to loss of packing will cook the CF making it brittle.
I'm thinking of switching sides for another 5k (as most heat goes through the right side anyway) before sending in for a repack.

99vengeur

Reaction score
Visit site
I talked to the boys at 2bros and was told to repack between 5 and 10K as our inline 4's run cooler than v twins. Also was warned not to go too long with the carbon fiber cans as the heat due to loss of packing will cook the CF making it brittle.
I'm thinking of switching sides for another 5k (as most heat goes through the right side anyway) before sending in for a repack.

The re-packs can be done by yourself. Just buy the re-pack kit from TBR and it's a piece of cake (according to their website). This way you don't have to send them off.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
It envolves drilling out the rivets and I do not want to slip and have a "oh sh*t moment" with my CF cans. They only charge $25 a can to repack.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I figure I'll do mine about once a year, which will be around 11,000 miles. I've got 2 or 3k on them already, and they're still loud like the day I bought them...

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan to repack mine at my 8k oil change. I put them on when the bike had 1k, and at my 4k oil change I swapped the cans. I need to order the kit soon. I'm not really looking forward to it. I hope it's as easy as it sounds...and I don't have any OOPS! moments doing it. :)

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
it is not as easy as it sounds, but it is pretty easy. you will need a rivet gun and a drill. and be very careful to line up the holes right with the brace. also be careful which side was which when you take it off. put a mark or something.

if you dont have these tools, it will be a pain in the ass, my advice is, if you dont have an issue with the sound at the moment or have a lot of miles on them, dont mess with it

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Part of me says leave well enough alone, Lovin :) But the other part of me wants to see just what the packing looks like, just how loose it is in there, etc. I'm curious to see all that so I can determine how much longer if any I could go before repacking, and if it would be possible to pack them more tightly to reduce the loudness of the pipes should neighbors start complaining, etc.

Wish me luck :)

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Packing material is actually very expensive, seeing that it is glass wool. Can I use off-road packing? I know it does not have the same water resistance and it is actually more durable seeing that single cylinder bikes seem to ruin packing...

Can really hear my Leos are sounding rough. Neighbours have noted too. (Hahahah!!!!)

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
If your're going to repack them yourself, here's some tips I learned when I did mine(when I had them).

1. Do it outdoors. Seriosuly, the packing fibers go everywhere.

2. Wear some overalls, or clothes you don't mind changing out of afterwards. Again, the the packing fibers go everywhere.

3. Use a corded drill, or have extra batteries charged and ready. Sometimes the rivets like to be a pain. Have some oil on hand as well to lube the bit, as the steel rivets can become too hot and harden.

4. Wear a respirator/dust mask. Yes, the the packing fibers go everywhere.

I can't reiterate the fact that the the packing fibers go everywhere!! If you do this in your garage, EVERYTHING will get covered in them. The car, your other bikes, you, the floor, everything. And it is quite the pain in the rear. And I'm mechanically inclined, and I still hated doing it. If I had known it was that much of a pain, I would've sent them out, or taken them to a local shop. The videos online make it look nice, simple, and quick. It's none of those things! I'd imagine it gets easier the more you do it, as with anything, but I still wouldn't try it again. Just my 2 cents.