Exhaust discoloration

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The header on front...I know its stainless steel and it will discolor with temperature...my question, is there anything to dress that up a bit?

I plan on (if I get a FZ) to send the headers off to Jet Hot coatings:
http://www.jet-hot.com/colorchart.html

I had them coat the downpipe on my Lancer Evolution in the high temp blue. The stuff was amazingly tough, and absorbed an insane amount of heat. Well worth the price/downtime of sending the header off to Jet Hot.

I plan on (if I get a FZ) to send the headers off to Jet Hot coatings:
http://www.jet-hot.com/colorchart.html

I had them coat the downpipe on my Lancer Evolution in the high temp blue. The stuff was amazingly tough, and absorbed an insane amount of heat. Well worth the price/downtime of sending the header off to Jet Hot.

how much does that cost? has anybody tried the exhaust tape? i was thinking about that but it looks kinda tough when you get down to the bottom

Last edited:
I like my pipes being almost black now. Blends in well with the frame and engine.

how much does that cost? has anybody tried the exhaust tape? i was thinking about that but it looks kinda tough when you get down to the bottom

It varies depending on the complexity of the piece. I can't see it costing more than $150ish bucks to have it done. It's not cheap, but it's worth it. They really do a nice job coating it, and it increases the life of the pipes, as well as supposedly giving you a little horsepower (warm exhaust gasses travel faster).

I pulled mine off and used a bench polisher initially, and now I keep it up using metal polish.

Does Autosol or Brasso eat into the metal?

As it say's below "Protects". Not sure if you can over use it, and then eats into the metal. Don't think so?

Autosol Cleans, Polishes and Protects

Aluminium, Stainless Steel, Brass and Copper.

Autosol removes corrosion, tarnish and discolouration from Chrome, Aluminium, Stainless Steel, Brass and Copper.
For Car Motor Bike, Boat and Home.
Reduces blueing on exhausts.
Restores and polishes to a brilliant finish.
Protects against corrosion and tarnishing.
For lasting care use reguarly.

As it say's below "Protects". Not sure if you can over use it, and then eats into the metal. Don't think so?

Autosol Cleans, Polishes and Protects

Aluminium, Stainless Steel, Brass and Copper.

Autosol removes corrosion, tarnish and discolouration from Chrome, Aluminium, Stainless Steel, Brass and Copper.
For Car Motor Bike, Boat and Home.
Reduces blueing on exhausts.
Restores and polishes to a brilliant finish.
Protects against corrosion and tarnishing.
For lasting care use reguarly.

Yea... Guess it is quite safe. Maybe i wld try on a small portion first. Just to be safe~;)

I rode almost all winter and lots in the rain.

I used 800 and 1000 grit sand paper with brake clean as the lubricant, then used never dull. Right back to silver then within a 100 miles or so and a ride to work in the rain and home last night they are back to a shiny gold color.

autosol and wire wool ..its the best

14032009070.jpg

Back