Exhaust and Fuel Mapping Q's

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Fellas,
I'm debating getting some aftermarket exhaust but had a few questions. Firstly, how much loss of mileage is there when installing new exhaust? Secondly, do you need to have your fuel system remapped and install a performance air filter? I don't mind losing a few mpg here and there, but if it's going to drop my mileage to like... 35 mpg, I'd rather keep it stock.

Speaking of mileage, how many miles to the tank do you all average? So far I think I'm getting about 160 to the tank. :) Pretty happy considering my vtr gets 120 to the tank.

Let a brother know,
KG

Malicious

Reaction score
Visit site
The Scorpion exhausts don't require a remapping - dyno'd to be that way specifically for the FZ6. As far as gas mileage goes - I'll have to get back to you on that one, too much fun gettin' on it to hear the roar. :rockon:

Coskie

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Scorpions on my 06.

The general rule is with only an aftermarket exhaust OR performance air filter, the EFI should adjust itself accordingly. When you combine them, though, the change is too great from stock and may require different fuel mapping.

I've got the Scorpion exhaust system with a K&N on my bike and even without a PCIII it runs ok. I have noticed that it is running a bit lean and will mildly backfire when I downshift though. I plan on getting a PCIII when I get a bit of money, but can't afford it right now :/

Hope that helps, Ghost!

'Skie

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
In theory your fuel economy should increase as there is less resistance to the exhaust getting out. In reality, you will drop since you will twist the throttle harder to hear that sweet sound coming from said new exhaust.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In theory your fuel economy should increase as there is less resistance to the exhaust getting out. In reality, you will drop since you will twist the throttle harder to hear that sweet sound coming from said new exhaust.

No, this would be true if the exhaust were soo restrictive that it was decreasing the engine's power output by a large percentage. IE: switching from a 1/2" exhaust pipe on a 1/2ton truck to a 2" exhaust pipe would increase power and mileage. (who knows if it would even run on 1/2" pipe).

With the fz-6 the exhaust is hardly limiting the power of the engine. The main purpose for installing a new exhaust is to increase sound levels since it only increases hp output very slightly.

So in this case it means there is slightly more air flow through the engine = more fuel needed to keep the A/Fr's correct.

Also, after a certain point, less resistance of exhaust gases may decrease midrange torque which would decrease fuel economy.

I've got a stock bike except for scorpions and I ride 90% highway at 75-90mph and get around 45-47mpg. I wouldn't say I baby it too much either...

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
I got 44 mpg on this bike once, that was when I was in the break in period of the engine. Now I average 39-41 depending on how I ride, and thats with the Leo Vince cans, BMC air filter, and power commander. I want to see it now though since I put the Euro program into the PCIII. Bike runs just as strong if not stronger and doesn't have the rich mixture as bad anymore.

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Well most exhausts for the FZ6 are slip-ons and do not require a re-map. I got Leo Vince Evo II's and love them. I have not noticed a change in MPG's just that sound i always knew the FZ6 had hidden in it :D