FZ6 or FZ1?

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Fellas,
So, I'm new to this forum and have been debating purchasing a used FZ6 or FZ1, but need your advice. I've been riding a vtr1000 Superhawk (aka the Super Chicken) and Vulcan 800 for the last year and a half and have decided to get a 600cc i4.

I'm worried, going from a vtwin 1000cc bike to a 600cc, about getting bored. I have no issues putting on an air filter, aftermarket exhaust, and having the fuel system remapped to get a bit more juice out of it, but that'd be a waste if I'll be bored with it.

I don't know if I really want the FZ1 though, I'm not down with the supposed 35mpg it gets. I think I'd rather stay on the VTR if it boiled down to it. So... there you have it. What would you guys do?

KG

W

wrightme43

Man I dont know.

BIKE VS. COYOTE..Lots of Pics : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

Well the performance is real close. The super has a bit more in the go dept though. About the same wieght.
Ours has a hp peak rpm so you would be spinning more to get 10-15 less hp. If you are bored with your bike, the FZ may not be for you. If you rarely use all your bike has the FZ will be about the same.

Just from looking as I have never rode the superhawk, but they sure are pretty.

Ninja edit
Umm sorry about the wrong link. It was supposed to by to the specs on your bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
The virtues of the FZ6 are not all in the engine. The bike is just a blast to ride. It has an ideal balance of power, weight, maneuverability, and comfort (at least for me). I think it's the motorcycle equivalent of a Mazda MX5 Miata. There are much more powerful cars out there, but it's tough to find anything that's brings more joy to the driver.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1? I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I once thought about getting an FZ1. It's a great bike! Some people claim it's the ultimate streetfighter motorcycle!!

So I sat on one...and THAT was the end of the FZ1.

No! I DON'T weigh 800 lbs or anything, but MAN that seat is VERY UNCOMFORTABLE!! You have to buy a corbin seat or something if you get one, but that's MY opinion.

J

jsteinb95

Well....you came to an FZ6 forum, so chances are, people are gonna tell you to buy the FZ6. Everybody (that I know of) on the site is happy with their FZ6! :thumbup:

EDIT: BTW :welcome:

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
Well....you came to an FZ6 forum, so chances are, people are gonna tell you to buy the FZ6. Everybody (that I know of) on the site is happy with their FZ6! :thumbup:

EDIT: BTW :welcome:

Eh... I figured as much, but I'm sure that there are a few folks here with a FZ1 (but then again we all know what happens when I make an assumption). Not only that, but I'm also sure there are a few folks here who have experience with 1 liter bikes.

At any rate, yup... there it is.

KG

J

jsteinb95

Eh... I figured as much, but I'm sure that there are a few folks here with a FZ1 (but then again we all know what happens when I make an assumption). Not only that, but I'm also sure there are a few folks here who have experience with 1 liter bikes.

At any rate, yup... there it is.

KG

I don't think there are any members on here with an FZ1.....I could be wrong though.

There are a few members with an R1. :D

Have you posted this question on an FZ1 forum?

F

FZSex

Hey Fellas,
So, I'm new to this forum and have been debating purchasing a used FZ6 or FZ1, but need your advice. I've been riding a vtr1000 Superhawk (aka the Super Chicken) and Vulcan 800 for the last year and a half and have decided to get a 600cc i4.

I'm worried, going from a vtwin 1000cc bike to a 600cc, about getting bored. I have no issues putting on an air filter, aftermarket exhaust, and having the fuel system remapped to get a bit more juice out of it, but that'd be a waste if I'll be bored with it.

I don't know if I really want the FZ1 though, I'm not down with the supposed 35mpg it gets. I think I'd rather stay on the VTR if it boiled down to it. So... there you have it. What would you guys do?

KG

FZ1. I love my 6 but you are gonna miss that torque and ... well I would think you would. The FZ1 is a bad ass. The 6 is pretty mean but coming from a 1000 twin... I dont know..

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 only gets 35MPH? Wow. I thought maybe I'd move up after another year or two but if the FZ1 only gets 35 MPH...geesh. But, I still think you should get an FZ1. It's only right to compare apples with apples.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the cost of insurance between the two a consideration? The cost of purchasing the two is definitely quite different.

Are you a straight-line blaster or drag race guy? Do you hate shifting? I'm just wondering why do you need so much power? I understand the benefits of torque when it comes to the ease of use etc. but I'm just curious what your angle is.

Bored on a modern 600cc I4? Do you like corners? I couldn't get bored on a 250 if I tried.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a tough call. For me it was too much cost, however after mods I'm at the same cost. As far as engine tweeks, they help but not too much honestly.

For me, I wanted a smaller sport touring bike, the FZ1 is close, but the FZ6 is exactly what I wanted.

As Defi said, the FZ6 is super entertaining in the corners and up to 80/90mph it is pretty much dead-even with the FZ1 in a drag race.

That said the FZ1 has some nice features, upside down fork, linkage rear suspension, fully adjustable suspension, and oh yeah, that amazing engine.

Good luck with your decision, both bikes are great.

But the muffler on the FZ1 is butt-ass UGLY!!!

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ1 has to be revved compared to the Honda V twin since it is an R1 engine which has to be revved even compared to other 1 liter SS. The FZ6 also has to be revved, but most 600cc I4 need to. If you want a liter streetfighter checkout the speed triple and zx9 - their power is not as high up in the rev band. There is noting like the FZ6 in the 600cc range. It has comfortable ergos with a SS engine. There are many choices in between the two.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the cost of insurance between the two a consideration? The cost of purchasing the two is definitely quite different.

Are you a straight-line blaster or drag race guy? Do you hate shifting? I'm just wondering why do you need so much power? I understand the benefits of torque when it comes to the ease of use etc. but I'm just curious what your angle is.

Bored on a modern 600cc I4? Do you like corners? I couldn't get bored on a 250 if I tried.

It's a different type of ride. Had an 88 cube V-twin and the torque is nice as long as you've got a long straight road ahead. Rode it a lot at 2000 to 2500 RPM. But to cruise 70-75 you need more RPM and with that you get a LOT more vibration. Over 55 mph the HD was NOT comfortable (for me) resulting in numb hands and monkey-butt. Not to mention TOO LOUD, but hey - that was my own fault for modding the exhaust. Insurance on FZ was cheaper by about $100 / year than HD so that's not a big deal with my insurer.

My Ninja 250 actually was more comfortable than HD LowRider for Interstate if any kind of distance was involved (400 or more miles per day). It would cruise at 8500 RPM comfortably - 70 mph all day and very little vibration. Well, technically lots of vibes but small amplitude waves are not as uncomfortable.

The FZ is just as smooth with a 70 mph cruise at about 6000 rpm and more than enough power - if you ever need / want to use it. I don't know why you ride but unless you're a professional or a :squid: I think you'll find the FZ6 is plenty of bike. YMMV but I think the FZ6 is not one you'll easily get bored with.:thumbup:

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, thanks for the input guys. I really think I'm going to go with a fz6. The fz1 is pretty bad ass, but as someone said earlier, that muffler just makes me wanna hurl. If I were to get an fz1, I'd have to go gp exhaust... but that's beside the point.

I'd be getting the fz6 more for commuting, but would really like to take it through some canyons. God... I love me some canyons! I really enjoy the super chicken, but when I rode my buddies r6, he commented I totally ride better on it (I'm assuming because it's a lighter bike and much easier to throw around in corners).

I came into this form already leaning towards the fz6, but I guess I just needed the push. I'm going to be keeping an eye out for the next couple of months on fz6's on craigslist and see what pops up.

I totally appreciate the input fellas!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Your use of "totally" makes me laugh...damn Californians :D :)

So you like twisties do ya? Get the SIX!!!!

If you do find some used FZ6s on craigslist or where ever, post up the links and we'll give you an eval including things like recalls, pricing, and hidden mods....see the thing is, we all talk about this damn bike way too much!

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
This FZ1 looks totally sick!
Dunlop/Graves custom FZ1 to be auctioned for Doug Henry benefit
Dunlop_Graves_FZ1.jpg