Excitement on the Ride Home Today.

Nzero

Reaction score
Visit site
On my commute home today after work I was driving down 75 on FZ and got stuck behind a semi for a few miles before he got over. After the semi moved over I proceeded to start to pass him. When got next to the rear trailer tires (about 5 feet beside me). The tire closest to me exploded and I mean exploded:eek:! it sounded like someone shot a 12 gauge next to my head and pieces went flying everywhere. I had a few good chunks of rubber hit in my leg and stomach on my right side. I must say it scared the crap out of me. All in all I didn't see any damage on the bike. My leg has a small bruise on it, but nothing to bad.

I just figured I would share the events of today. I've never been by a semi when one of the tires blow, so it caught me off guard. Just something to think about the next you maybe riding next to one.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your ok. That is one of the reasons I roll up to them to make sure they see me then rocket past.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That would be in the area what we like to call the "No Zone" Blind spots for trucks, but also has another meaning too which you found out. Yeah, I actually have had my windshied cracked from hitting one of those large chunks exploding in front of me when I was driving a car long time ago.

I make it a point not to follow large trucks or ride alongside of them for that reason. I like to minimize my time around large vehicles.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
That would be in the area what we like to call the "No Zone" Blind spots for trucks, but also has another meaning too which you found out. Yeah, I actually have had my windshied cracked from hitting one of those large chunks exploding in front of me when I was driving a car long time ago.

I make it a point not to follow large trucks or ride alongside of them for that reason. I like to minimize my time around large vehicles.

My first car was a Pontiac fiero. I have never felt comfortable driving next to semi's haha

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes!!!! Good Job keeping your wits and concentration!!

I ran over a basket ball with a Case 580 tractor and OMG the BOOM that made was Crazy load! Like ya, a shot gun at close range....

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your okay man! I had the same thing happen to me pretty much, just I wasn't right next to it. I was a few feet behind when it blew and a big chunk hit me square in the chest. Luckily nothing else happened, but it definitely scared me! The show mythbusters also did an episode about this, might me something to look at on YouTube if your interested. The video is called Mythbusters big rig-dynamometer of death..

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
The show mythbusters also did an episode about this, might me something to look at on YouTube if your interested. The video is called Mythbusters big rig-dynamometer of death..

link - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqw4ZooBzLw"]Mythbusters Big Rig - Dynamometer of Death - YouTube[/ame]

Damn, that's scary!

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ I was thinking about that the whole time.

I've never forgotten watching them cut the head off a ballistic gel dummy with a piece of re-tread.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a great reminder for our safety. There is lots of things that can happen on the road. Let's be safe out there everyone! :rockon:

Nzero

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your okay man! I had the same thing happen to me pretty much, just I wasn't right next to it. I was a few feet behind when it blew and a big chunk hit me square in the chest. Luckily nothing else happened, but it definitely scared me! The show mythbusters also did an episode about this, might me something to look at on YouTube if your interested. The video is called Mythbusters big rig-dynamometer of death..

I'll have to check that out.