• M4

Votes: 23 2.7%
  • JET Performance Engineered Exhaust

Votes: 5 0.6%

• Total voters

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
many in the poll are not legal here.. i used micron on my old bike and i loved the sound and the feel of it. but too bad cannot find it for my fz6 here too. considering between akrapovic and arrow now, but arrow is much steeper than akrapovic. hmmm..

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
there are plenty of other Scorpion lovers out there who know that we do have the best looking and sounding pipes out there ;)

"Naw.... it didn't add any power at all.... but it shore is preeeeetty!" :BLAA:

I'm just joshing ya, Kazza, but it seriously cracks me up how frequently you say your exhaust is pretty.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My German is a little rusty but were the tests done with the db killers in or out? If the db killers are in the dyno plot will be very similar to stock. If they are out the aftermarket exhaust will typically have a better plot.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
laserhaters said:
And I could definitely believe the lasers loose power. Just look at them, how do they acieve sound supression with MUCH LESS volume than all of the other systems? Restriction.

not only that but an effective exhaust has good scavenging.... but going from 1 to 4 would reduce exhaust speed and make less power.

Sheesh! :)

The lasers are one of the few systems with a proper y-pipe.

The split exhaust does go into a round collector type device which the tips hook into, but there's really no area reduction from the collector to the four outlets.

I can see how some of the other ugly, straight through pipes could be less restrictive, but I seriously doubt that it makes less power than stock. There have been members on the lists who have dynoed after laser quad installation and got more than stock.

I've attached a picture of the laser quad in pieces. In retrospect that ninety degree bend on the one pipe looks really bad.... :)

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
My German is a little rusty but were the tests done with the db killers in or out? If the db killers are in the dyno plot will be very similar to stock. If they are out the aftermarket exhaust will typically have a better plot.

Here's roughly what the little bit of the article that's visible says (my german is rusty, but...)

…with lots of pieces and take a lot of time. Others can be put together in about 15 minutes. But you only do it once, and it makes the Sunday go by nicely, so we therefore gave ease of installation a small role in the evaluations.

Since the exhausts are under-seat, this collection of exhausts is a little trickier to install than side-hanging exhausts. You should have some mechanical skill if you are going to attmept installing these yourself. Some of the mounting systems were definitely more clever than others, particularly Nikko, BOS and Akrapovic. Any motivated FZ6 owner can mount these themselves.

Our decibel readings were hands-on, ie, how you would drive following a cop car. We used a standard sound meter at a 45-degree angle, 50cm away from the cans. Even so, you should not put a lot of importance on the actual sound readings, as the actual sound you experience in person may be somewhat different. [Here follows an explanation of the dB scale, which is not linear… ie “80dB(A) is not twice as loud as 40dB(A)”, and a quick explanation of german regulations for exhaust sound levels.]

Also I checked, and yes each was tested with the supplied dB killers in place.

Last edited:

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Sheesh! :)

The lasers are one of the few systems with a proper y-pipe.

The split exhaust does go into a round collector type device which the tips hook into, but there's really no area reduction from the collector to the four outlets.

I can see how some of the other ugly, straight through pipes could be less restrictive, but I seriously doubt that it makes less power than stock. There have been members on the lists who have dynoed after laser quad installation and got more than stock.

I've attached a picture of the laser quad in pieces. In retrospect that ninety degree bend on the one pipe looks really bad.... :)

That 90 doesn't do much for the airflow! :D

Or swirling around in them collectors.......

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's roughly what the little bit of the article that's visible says (my german is rusty, but...)

Also I checked, and yes each was tested with the supplied dB killers in place.

Ah so...well I think that explains it right there. Uncork the exhaust and the bike will pick up about 5 on top, and a very nice bump in the mid-range.

Und Tschuss!

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
as we are getting into what the connector pipes look like here's my YA70 Scorpion Round Stainless cans in bits all cleaned up after I TOOK THEM OFF to fit my Givi rack . . . . I really miss the ROAR !!!

The intension was to sell them and put the money towards some leathers, as I couldn't get them to fit without doing some mods to the mounting, but I'm going to have another attempt some time . . . .

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
How old are those pipes Simon?
The outlets are the same as on my KTM Duke,which I bought a few years ago.
Just wondered if they changed the design,as mine have the conical tips.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Man that is completely up to you, the individual. As for me, I made my own. But to try and help, here is some information and videos (Keep in mind recording and playback quality will vary from video to video):

FWIW, these dyno curves (german mag) were done with just the pipe fitted... no PCIII and/or dyno tune, which is what you'd want to do if power was your main concern...

Oh and a better laser video here: :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWUGxXYyRLc]YouTube - FZ6 Exhaust Test - OEM vs LASER[/ame]

Soundwave206

Reaction score
twitter.com
My ranking would be:

1=REMUS (love B-Class Rally!!! + those cans will last forever)
2=devil (for that evil sound)
3=Scorpions (that's what I have :D)

I'm almost done modding my FZ6. I will post my Scorpions pretty soon here. I shed a few tears when I started reading this thread. I've spent lots of money on parts... really do not want to pay for a remap!!! But since most of you say it's not necessary I will stay at ease. I purchased my scorpions from here: Motorcycle Exhaust and Accessories - Yoshimura Cobra Akrapovic Two brothers Jardine Scorpion Leo Vince Bub Rinehart Vance and Hines Rush Harley Exhaust Pipe Systems Mustang Motorcycle Seat | Pipe City and was very pleased with customer service.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
My ranking would be:

1=REMUS (love B-Class Rally!!! + those cans will last forever)
2=devil (for that evil sound)
3=Scorpions (that's what I have :D)

I'm almost done modding my FZ6. I will post my Scorpions pretty soon here. I shed a few tears when I started reading this thread. I've spent lots of money on parts... really do not want to pay for a remap!!! But since most of you say it's not necessary I will stay at ease. I purchased my scorpions from here: Motorcycle Exhaust and Accessories - Yoshimura Cobra Akrapovic Two brothers Jardine Scorpion Leo Vince Bub Rinehart Vance and Hines Rush Harley Exhaust Pipe Systems Mustang Motorcycle Seat | Pipe City and was very pleased with customer service.

REALLY?! I have heard the Remus on a FZ6 and thought they were the worst sounding exhaust I had heard on any sport bike ever! Not deep at all, quite tinny sounding and very buzzy.

Devils I have heard on other bikes (never FZ6) and they sound very good. And of course the scorpions sound good but aren't very loud at all.

Pics are always appreciated here!

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Are the Devils being imported again? Last I heard there was some issue with the US importer taking money and not delivering. That is the exhaust I wanted, but then I heard the bad news, so I still have stock for now.

Soundwave206

Reaction score
twitter.com
REALLY?! I have heard the Remus on a FZ6 and thought they were the worst sounding exhaust I had heard on any sport bike ever! Not deep at all, quite tinny sounding and very buzzy.

Devils I have heard on other bikes (never FZ6) and they sound very good. And of course the scorpions sound good but aren't very loud at all.

Pics are always appreciated here!

OH... that hurts :(. But I forgive you since I haven't experienced them on Motorcycle (had a system on a car and loved it!!!). I almost bought a Remus kit but the retailer took a nice steaming-chocolate-pudding-like-dump on my parade (that's another thread http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/23638-never-buy-exoticsportbike-com.html) and that's why I ended up with Scorpion. I guess I was a blind follower/believer...

Last edited: