error code 19?

garyfz

Reaction score
Visit site
hello eveybody! i dont usually do this posting thing but i am in need of some help. i have an 04 fz6, owned her since new and until now she has never skipped a beat. yesterday at the gas station she wouldnt start and i got an error code 19 in the odometer area. i have searched the site and other people have had the same issue but i havent come across the fix yet. we are going on a ten day tour in twenty days and i am hoping that this is not a big issue. any help would be greatly appreciated:Sport:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have access to your year of bike at this time but I think that goes back to the ECM doing a fault tree of the safety interlocks.

- side stand / kick stand
- engine shut off switch
- clutch switch

Look all of those over and see if you find any opens or shorts.

From an 08 model service manual:
Open circuit is detected in the input line from the start switch to the ECU.
• Open or short circuit in wire harness.
• Malfunction in ECU.

->
Open circuit is detected in the input line from the sidestand switch to the ECU.
SUSPECT AREA:
Connected state of connector
• Main wire harness ECU coupler (No. 13 and 30 pin, black)
• Alarm coupler
• Check the coupler for any pins that may have pulled out.
• Check the locking condition of the coupler.
• If there is a malfunction, repair it and connect it securely.

SUSPECT AREA:
Open or short circuit in wire harness or sub lead.
• Repair or replace if there is an open or short circuit.
• Between ECU and sidestand switch (Black/Red–Blue/Green)

SUSPECT AREA:
• Execute the diagnostic monitoring mode. (Code No.20)
• Replace if defective. Refer to "CHECKING THE SWITCHES" on page 8-63.
Defective sidestand switch

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hello eveybody! i dont usually do this posting thing but i am in need of some help. i have an 04 fz6, owned her since new and until now she has never skipped a beat. yesterday at the gas station she wouldnt start and i got an error code 19 in the odometer area. i have searched the site and other people have had the same issue but i havent come across the fix yet. we are going on a ten day tour in twenty days and i am hoping that this is not a big issue. any help would be greatly appreciated:Sport:

From the top of the tech section:

Fault Code: 19
Diagnostic Code: 20
Symptom: Open circuit in the input line of ECU No4 terminal is detected when the start switch is pressed.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open circuit in wiring harness (ECU coupler).
Malfunction in ECU.

I would release the harness from the ECU and check for any corrosion/greenish crap first. If any is located, clean real good, add di-lectric grease and re-assembly. I'd probably disconnect the battery if using a small wire brush to clean, a regular tooth brush with WD40, liquid wrench, etc should work fine. Certain electrical cleaners are very aggresive and will melt plastic..

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have access to your year of bike at this time but I think that goes back to the ECM doing a fault tree of the safety interlocks.

- engine shut off switch
- clutch switch

• Malfunction in ECU.

->
Open circuit is detected in the input line from the sidestand switch to the ECU.
SUSPECT AREA:
• Alarm coupler

SUSPECT AREA:

SUSPECT AREA:

He's got an 2004 model

garyfz

Reaction score
Visit site
so i checked all the connections and there was no real corrosion to speak of but i cleaned up and pmut new die electric grease. so far so good, only started it a few times. i'm leaving friday in the a.m. for my ten day tour so wish me luck and thanks everybody for the help!:thumbup:

luis22

Reaction score
Visit site

- engine shut off switch
- clutch switch

• Malfunction in ECU.

->
SUSPECT AREA:
• Alarm coupler

SUSPECT AREA:

SUSPECT AREA:

can you tell me what this code means d013:20 i kind of have the same problem as him the guy that had my bike by pass the stand switch . my problem is that i have no throttle response i think this is my problem Fault Code: 19
Symptom: Open circuit in the input line of ECU No4 terminal is detected when the start switch is pressed.
Malfunction in ECU.
can you find more information in this code like wich cable is terminal 4 or anything?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
can you tell me what this code means d013:20 i kind of have the same problem as him the guy that had my bike by pass the stand switch . my problem is that i have no throttle response i think this is my problem Fault Code: 19
Malfunction in ECU.
can you find more information in this code like wich cable is terminal 4 or anything?

Fault code 19 is the side stand switch or connection to the ECU per page 8-34 on the 07 Yamaha manual. You can either hotwire (bypass the switch) by tying the two wires together or just clean the switch. You can get to the switch and remove it while the bike is on the centerstand. It doesn't even need to be un-plugged. It comes apart easily with no surprises. Re-assemble with diliectric grease...

Also, it would be easier for everyone trying to help if you kept your problem on the original thread...

PM me with a full e-mail address and year bike and I can send you the yamaha shop manual as a PDF file. In the electrical section shows the various pins and locations your looking for...

shubin

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys got the same problem and cant figure out what to do.
I have a 2012 r6. was riding on the freeway and it died on me, since then it hasn't started.
odometer reads code 19
so far ive tried checking all the wires under the seat going into the ECU. unplugged the battery unplugged the ECU and let it sit for couple hours trying to reset it and see if anything happens.
also checked the kick stand and the wires going to it, everything is still nice and clean no corrosion no ripped wires no bent wires any where.

also one of my mechanic friends tolled me that it seems it could be the voltage regulator but i bought a new one and installed it but the problem is still there

someone also said it might be a bad battery.
well checked that. mine is still very good and holds the charge very well.

so at this point I'm not sure if i missed something or i got a bigger problem then i though. if you guys got any other ideas please let me know.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys got the same problem and cant figure out what to do.
I have a 2012 r6. was riding on the freeway and it died on me, since then it hasn't started.
odometer reads code 19
so far ive tried checking all the wires under the seat going into the ECU. unplugged the battery unplugged the ECU and let it sit for couple hours trying to reset it and see if anything happens.
also checked the kick stand and the wires going to it, everything is still nice and clean no corrosion no ripped wires no bent wires any where.

also one of my mechanic friends tolled me that it seems it could be the voltage regulator but i bought a new one and installed it but the problem is still there

someone also said it might be a bad battery.
well checked that. mine is still very good and holds the charge very well.

so at this point I'm not sure if i missed something or i got a bigger problem then i though. if you guys got any other ideas please let me know.

:welcome: to our great forum!

First: I would seek out information on the R6 error codes. The R6 may not be the same error codes as the FZ6. I'm not saying the codes are different but they may be.

Second: If the error code 19 is for the side stand down then every time someone puts their side stand down to stop the motor, which some people do instead of the ignition or kill switch, then the error wold pop up. It normally does not throw a code when people use the side stand to stop the motor.

There is a module on the FZ6 that all the safety protocols pass through that interfaces with the ECU. If the logic is not correct through this module, either from clutch lever, side stand, or neutral gear or a bad module, the bike will shut down and/or not start.

The R6 may use the same module.

To be truthful I don't know without a schematic how to diagnose what is wrong with your bike. Stop people from guessing what's wrong with your bike unless they're paying for all all the wrong parts and labor. Take your bike to a technician who has a good reputation because it will probably be cheaper than replacing all the wrong parts.

Good luck on this and please post what corrected your situation. :)