Error Code 12?

printimage2

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: "Interesting.... How did you come to replacing the starter relay? Was the bike just throwing the Error code #12 or was it not starting and threw the code?"

Motogiro, the bike wouldn't start and it was throwing the Error code #12. Watching the newly supplied Youtube video helped steer me to solving my problem quickly and rather inexpensively.

Youtube: "Yamaha Code 12 no start fix!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgvebpSEmSY

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: "Interesting.... How did you come to replacing the starter relay? Was the bike just throwing the Error code #12 or was it not starting and threw the code?"

Motogiro, the bike wouldn't start and it was throwing the Error code #12. Watching the newly supplied Youtube video helped steer me to solving my problem quickly and rather inexpensively.

Youtube: "Yamaha Code 12 no start fix!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgvebpSEmSY
Yes. If the ECU sees the start circuit active but there is no CPS signal it can throw the #12 error code. If the battery were dead there may be other extraneous codes produced at random regardless of what sensor conditions exist because of extremely low voltage. Beside the technologies available experience and understanding of these bikes is the most valuable asset we have.
Thank you for sharing this.:)

Sent from Ellipsis 10 HD using Tapatalk

weehe

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to bump this as my error code 12 was resolved by disconnecting and reconnecting the starter relay. After several hours of trying to find an issue with the crank sensor...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to bump this as my error code 12 was resolved by disconnecting and reconnecting the starter relay. After several hours of trying to find an issue with the crank sensor...

For me, it was the starter motor.
After replacing it, everything is fine. :)

Yes, If you tell the bike to start and the ECU/ECM sees that there is no signal from the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) it will throw #12. But if you know your motor is being turned over by the starter and you see a #12 there's a high probability there is a problem with the CPS and/or associated wiring. There is no sensor to tell whether the engine is actually rotating when the starter is engaged except for the CPS. If you hit the starter and the engine does not rotate you should suspect that there is a problem with starter associated items including the starter circuit cutoff relay which should not be confused with the starter relay. I do agree it could mislead a diagnosis but when the engine is turning over and there's a #12 error code it's likely CPS related.