engine sounds like it ate stones

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys I need some help really bad. Today I started my bike gogo towork as normal. Clicked it into firt gear and she died as if ihad left the stand down. After this igot an error 1.so after searching the forum i replaced the battery as it was due a new one anyway. Well this cured the error 1 but then I got error 12.

After searching here again I have disconnected and sprayed all connections with wd40 / gt85 on the ecu and other connections. After this the bike started but sounds horrible and has a nasty rattle / vibration all through the engine block.it is running on all 4 but I thing the crank shaft is damaged or simular.

Any ideas? The bike is booked in garage for tomoz but as its my daily vehical I need it fixed. Any idea on damage X cost?

Thanks in advance!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys I need some help really bad. Today I started my bike gogo towork as normal. Clicked it into firt gear and she died as if ihad left the stand down. After this igot an error 1.so after searching the forum i replaced the battery as it was due a new one anyway. Well this cured the error 1 but then I got error 12.

After searching here again I have disconnected and sprayed all connections with wd40 / gt85 on the ecu and other connections. After this the bike started but sounds horrible and has a nasty rattle / vibration all through the engine block.it is running on all 4 but I thing the crank shaft is damaged or simular.

Any ideas? The bike is booked in garage for tomoz but as its my daily vehical I need it fixed. Any idea on damage X cost?

Thanks in advance!!

Do not run the motor anymore! Sounds like your cam chain is eating your CPS Crankshaft Position Sensor. That happens when the cam chain tensioner is bad or the cam chain has gotten slack because of a worn guide or other problem. If the cam chain jumps the valve train will go out of synch and piston and valves will kiss.:eek:
Have the CPS inspected for damage and if it is damaged you should replace the cam chain, guides,cam chain tensioner and CPS.

Last edited:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea I wont run the engine after hearing that. My cam chain has not acted up at all. I had one start to go on my old fz6 and I could tell. this one has made no noise.

Hopefully it is just cam chain tenstion and alignment that needs correcting / replacing over any actual internal damage I hope

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a bummer -
Scenario; you haul it and tell them it may be TCT going bad. STARTING IT, MAY RUIN engine. They have no choice but to tear down until they find something.

In short, this is an open ticket that may come at huge expense to you.

I understand its your ride, but it may be worthwhile to do some inspection yourself. Otherwise you may be in for a big shocker.

If the noise is as bad as you say; some form of contact has occurred. From this, there would likely be something in the oil pan. I would drain and inspect the oil.

Remove spark plugs and turn it over by hand to see if you feel the noise.

I can go on, but these are my thoughts at this time - the shop is being held over the barrel with no options but to tear down until they find something.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One of our members had this occur and it was a new cam chain, new guides, tensioner and CPS.
The fact that you're getting this noise and the #12 error leads me to believe the cam chain was loose enough to cut into the CPS.
As Randy says, do a little inspection your self and this will confirm the damage.
If the cam chain just cut through the CPS and nothing jumped mechanical timing, you'll only need to replace those items mentioned.
Right side cover is where the CPS is. Inspect it for damage.
After the parts are replaced, put new oil and filter. :)

Last edited:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys thought i would give you all an update, the garage started tearing her down and found out it seems to be really bad news.

He didnt get all the way into the lump as it was costing me money to pay them to find out what i already though.

It seems one way or another the crank is damaged and there are clutch plates missing. so the mech things that when it clicked into first hard on a cold morning something bounced hard and the clutch seems to have imploded and damaged the crank or the crank has hit the clutch and killed it, there is parts of clutch in my engine now.

so not 100% how that would happen but im going to pick bike up from garage and do my own re-pairs in the mean time i am going to finance my 3rd fz6 lol

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it gives me the chance to strip the lump and get my hands dirty and still have a bike for transport which brings me onto my new ride. A 2008 yamaha fz6 s2 in deep metalic blue with the black finish on the headlights. So looks like i gone from the fastest ever black to still faster then red. blue lol pick it up tomorrow

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That seems odd. The clutch is not on the crank but should mass of metal be forced through the gears I suppose it could bend the crank. I would love to see pictures of this so we have some context as to what caused what and if others should be on the look out for something like this.

Sorry, let us know what we can do to help. Can you scroll through these pictures and tell us if anything here looks like the item in question that is damaged?

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/48071-broken-my-gears.html#post525544 Start at post # 24.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey. Yea when i get it back and get some time to get in there myself i will be certain to take loads of pics and let you all know what it looks like.

Like i say. He isnt 100% as i didnt wan to keep paying to find out more bad news. Figured i cpuld do that myself for free. So i will update this thread when i find out more

lrojasma

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey. Yea when i get it back and get some time to get in there myself i will be certain to take loads of pics and let you all know what it looks like.

Like i say. He isnt 100% as i didnt wan to keep paying to find out more bad news. Figured i cpuld do that myself for free. So i will update this thread when i find out more

I am very interested on that one too, the pictured would be great.

If we can help, we are willing to do it :)

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys, didnt get the pictures, as i was more interested in sorting her out, managed to get supm out and cleaned out all the bits of crushed clutch plate and put it all back together. flushed her with oil multiple times. but in the end she still knocking when revved. she does not knock on tick over only when under load.

Seems the crank or some sort of crank bearking has been damaged so i think i be selling her as a project for someone as i dont have the time or money to drop a new engine in her.

Thanks for the info on this thread, thought i would post the result was all

Cheers

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys, didnt get the pictures, as i was more interested in sorting her out, managed to get supm out and cleaned out all the bits of crushed clutch plate and put it all back together. flushed her with oil multiple times. but in the end she still knocking when revved. she does not knock on tick over only when under load.

Seems the crank or some sort of crank bearking has been damaged so i think i be selling her as a project for someone as i dont have the time or money to drop a new engine in her.

Cheers

Sorry to hear the news.

I suspect small particles of the blown clutch plates got into the oiling system and starved a bearing of oil... I think you made a good decicion re the new bike, trying to fix the old one and selling it off due to the circumstances...

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site

Cheers

did you inspected oil pump?

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I suspect small particles of the blown clutch plates got into the oiling system and starved a bearing of oil... I think you made a good decicion re the new bike, trying to fix the old one and selling it off due to the circumstances...

Is this a Japanese thing? My Acura CL-S did that with the last transmission and pretty much EVERY OTHER CL/TL from 99-03 did it too. Several of the Accords as well. I wonder if Yamaha got a good deal on an engineer that used to work for Honda/Acura.....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this a Japanese thing? My Acura CL-S did that with the last transmission and pretty much EVERY OTHER CL/TL from 99-03 did it too. Several of the Accords as well. I wonder if Yamaha got a good deal on an engineer that used to work for Honda/Acura.....

The transmission and engine on the bike use the same oil, thus one failure in either could affect the other.

Re the car, the engine and transmission are two separate units(engine oil in the engine, trans fluid in the gear box)...

Short of the radiator cooling both the engine and possibly the transmission(auto), I don't see how one would affect the other