Engine responsiveness sensitive to small changes in oil levels

ewink5

BigMonster
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently changed my motor oil, using Shell Rotella T 15W-40 instead of Yamaha lube. Initially I put in about a half quart too much, accidentally. When running at normal street speeds, the engine appears to pull (or sound) a little rough, probably due to increased pressure caused by the slight oil overfill. The engine also seemed to run a little rough at highway speeds in 4th and 5th gears (60 to 80 mph). So I removed about 1/2 quart of oil. Now the dip stick reads half way between the upper and lower marks. Since removing the 1/2 quart of oil, the bike runs exceptionally well at street speeds, but still a little rough at highway speeds. However I do plan to add oil to the reccommended level indicated on the dip stick. I just thought I'd mentioned this little experience to express how sensitive my engine runs depending on slight changes in oil levels, and possibly types of oil.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When too much oil is put in the engine the crankshaft then sit in the oil, rather than having oil just going through it via oil galleries. So if you can imagine putting water in a basin then pushing your hand through side to side, the energy needed. This is why too much oil can give lack of power, the engine is having to use power just to push the crank throuh the oil.

W

wrightme43

When oil is to high, the crank counterwieghts will impact the oil, grab a big chunk, whip it into ropes and drag it along. It whips froth into the oil, and makes the oil pump provide bubbly oil. This discovered by a man named Smokey Yunick.Smokey Yunick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He built a engine with plexiglass view windows and did lots of experiments. Crank wipers made of steel (I dont know we have them but most likely we do)

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When oil is to high, the crank counterwieghts will impact the oil, grab a big chunk, whip it into ropes and drag it along. It whips froth into the oil, and makes the oil pump provide bubbly oil. This discovered by a man named Smokey Yunick.Smokey Yunick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He built a engine with plexiglass view windows and did lots of experiments. Crank wipers made of steel (I dont know we have them but most likely we do)
I remember a friend talking about something similar to that. I don't remember him mentioning the guys name you have. But do remember him mentioning to much oil and it creating bubbles in the oil.