Engine oil coolant housing

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh ya the carburetor belt needs tightening or it gets to much slack and causes that oil thingy to make noise, you either need to tighten the belt or grease it. I would grease it and while I'm at it I would grease the muffler bearings too.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whilst I agree that was funny Chevy, he's a brand new owner of an '05 so I reckon the question was legitimate.

Maybe talking about the cam chain auto adjuster that sits behind the cylinders?

Just a theory.

Cheers,
Rick

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Comedy, its all about timing.....
My 05 has quite an agricultural taping noise coming from the injectors. I have swapped out the cam chain tensioner without resolution. The bike runs fine and I am not worried about the noise.

Nelly

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok ok il be serious, gaaa thanks for blowin my buzz

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the oil cooler and I don't think there should be any sound coming from the cooler itself. It's just a heat exchanger, it's right in front of the block so the noise could be coming from anywhere.

george0029

Reaction score
Visit site
I've also been trying to pinpoint a clicking noise coming from somewhere around the oil cooler. I would have told you for sure it's from the cooler, but if it's just a heat exchanger, then I'm right back where I started....

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Fact: These engines are noisy. The injectors and valvetrain make a lot of noise, as do most if not all inline four engines. My brand new honda is NOISY as hell, but that's normal.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My engine oil cooling housing makes alot of noise. I've heard this is normal. Everything else is quiet.

Is this a new noise that has developed or has it been there for awhile?

If it is new, going around the engine with a stethescope or screwdriver (with the handle held to your ear) may help pin point the area. A loose cam chain/failing cam chain adjuster will make all kinds of racket as well.

As noted above, the injectors make some noise, the stock exhaust is so quiet, it makes the engine sound even noisier...

Can you make a video (with audio) of the engine running, and when its the noisiest, (ie, revving, idleing, in gear, clutch in or out, etc)?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously?? All the agricultural slashing thrashing sounds from the valve-train /gear box far outweigh anything the injectors will ever produce. . .

And although the exhaust is quiet, the burn exiting into the headers is audible and much louder than the injectors. 99% of of the time people think they hear injectors but its really the Tap from the CAM to the Valve stem making a "tap" which is a GOOD thing and better than no tap and burned valve(s)!
Now add in all the straight cut gears in the box, timing chain, and a couple of valves with lash and those TICKS from the injectors are invisible to the ear with out aid.

If anyone has doubts about the internals I highly recommend you remove the oil filter and open it up. Inspect it for things that can't be unseen!

As for the noise at the heat exchanger, not likely. Use a screw driver, a wooden dowel to the ear, or stethoscope and actually pin point the location. There is no sound deadening on a bike engine and they make noise!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My engine oil cooling housing makes alot of noise. I've heard this is normal. Everything else is quiet.

True - it is normal!

Keep this in mind: the crankshaft and those 4 rods are making a good deal of motion in the bottom end near the heat exchanger. It being a thin stamped item unlike the thick aluminum block next to it, its going to radiate the noise the bottom of the engine makes. because its thin steel vs thick alum, its likely going to be at a higher frequency than the surrounding aluminum and MORE noticeable to human ear.

davidmacknh

Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously?? All the agricultural slashing thrashing sounds from the valve-train /gear box far outweigh anything the injectors will ever produce. . .

And although the exhaust is quiet, the burn exiting into the headers is audible and much louder than the injectors. 99% of of the time people think they hear injectors but its really the Tap from the CAM to the Valve stem making a "tap" which is a GOOD thing and better than no tap and burned valve(s)!
Now add in all the straight cut gears in the box, timing chain, and a couple of valves with lash and those TICKS from the injectors are invisible to the ear with out aid.

If anyone has doubts about the internals I highly recommend you remove the oil filter and open it up. Inspect it for things that can't be unseen!

As for the noise at the heat exchanger, not likely. Use a screw driver, a wooden dowel to the ear, or stethoscope and actually pin point the location. There is no sound deadening on a bike engine and they make noise!
Thanks for the input. Yes the exhaust is so quiet. If you look at a pic if the 2006 fz6 coming off the engine block there is a round silver thing. It is a tiking noise like a little bb is spinning around. Bike runs great, just when I don't wear a helmet I hear that more than the engine. The dealer claimed he heard nothing.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Not all bikes are as noisy as the semi naked FZ...

Take an 1800 Goldwing for instance. You do not hear half the noise of the FZ, that engine is smooth as a sewing machine and just as quiet.

My FJR was considerably quieter than the FZ as well...

I do agree thou, the heat exchanger shouldn't be making any noise, fluids running thru it, dampening any noises.

Is this a new noise??? Can you post a video?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not all bikes are as noisy as the semi naked FZ...

Take an 1800 Goldwing for instance. You do not hear half the noise of the FZ, that engine is smooth as a sewing machine and just as quiet.

My FJR was considerably quieter than the FZ as well...

I do agree thou, the heat exchanger shouldn't be making any noise, fluids running thru it, dampening any noises.

Is this a new noise??? Can you post a video?

I would expect the "other" bikes you mention to be quieter than the FZ as it came from the R family where engine noise was less important than say winning at that track! :thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Think of the heat exchanger as an outlet for the sounds to be ported out of. And Again, grab a wooden dowel like an old toilet plunger handle (haha) and stick one end in your ear (dare ya) and the other on many suspect areas ALL OVER the ENGINE! The noises will be alarming and you may never sleep again. Oh - do the headers too and then wash up!