Engine breaking rattle... and more

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the OEM tool bag, pull the rear wheel. Inspect the cushions as mentioned before and look at the hubs bearing, confirm all spacers are present and the wheel bearings are smooth when pressure is applied and rotating them.

Next thing: No tools eh. OK, all we can do is diagnose; clean the front sprocket, nut, and shaft (brake cleaner). Apply some paper white out, make a THICK stripe across all three items in like 3 places (from the center of the shaft over the nut and onto the gear. After it dries, take it for ride and see if the relationship between the lines changes or if it cracks at the joined areas due to rotation.

I would also find something that will draw a VERY FINE STRAIGHT LINE ACROSS THEM ALL. An index just in case the white out cracks for the sake of cracking. Heck, tape may even work as it could show a twist or deflection when spanned across the shaft and sprocket.

If nothing comes of the rear wheel or the sprocket, I'd REALLY OPT FOR CUTTING OPEN THE OIL FILTER!

Also, are you sure the rear shock bushing isn't knocked out of the bottom?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, I saw somewhere in internet that people had issues with engine mounting bolts/nuts become loose and causing strange clunk. I "eyballed" them but without tools. If noone here comes up with mechanical ideas for those sounds I'll go to any mechanic and ask to check the engine mounting.

If you have a torque wrench they should take 55 Nm (5.5 m·kg, 40 ft·lb).

Maybe check them to make sure they are not loose.

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
I got some small tool bag under the seat; I guess you didnt mean that :) Besides the sound I complain about is definately not from rear wheel. Moreover it is present only after the engine is fully warmed up. So also I dont suspect rear shock.
It is surely related either to elements that during the thermal extensibility change their tollerance to each other, or to the fact of oil thinning when warmer and again some parts get too much play.
The clunk sound, no matter how I generate it, is always the same. And the source seems to be output shaft area. For me personally the most unusal way to generate it one is when I play with the throttle during 15 kmh rolling with 2nd gear on. Never had such issue before. I understand that wet multidisk clutch generates a light drug even with fully pressed lever. But what slack may cause such clunk? Where can it be located? I compared the transmission slack with another member and we got exactly the same- 1 tooth. Then why mine is such clunky???
Cutting the oil filter will not help. I changed the oil lately, the old one was still transparent and no parts in it :) Besides what part might it be to cause such issue?
Someone before mentioned the noisy clutch basket. The difference when I press the lever is really insignificant. Perhaps it was more audiable because during the recording my phone was in my left shoe with mike under trouser leg to avoid wind interference.
What about the rattle sound when enguin breaking? Noone referred to this point...
On Saturday I'll go to any mechanic and chek all engine mountings and front gear nut.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, thats a new noise here on the forum..

If you hold the rear brake solidly on, engine running, will it still make the clunks?

I agree with Randy, although it may not sound that its from the rear, just pull the rear wheel and inspect the cushions, wheel bearings, sprocket hub bearing, etc, just to RULE THEM OUT. It won't take long.

Rotate the rear wheel by hand, watching and listening to it, looking real hard at the links. It should be nice and smooth. One kink in the chain will make some noises, especially at the output shaft due to the tight turn.

What happens when the engine off, in first or second gear, do you get a solid thunk when rotating the rear wheel by hand? Or something more?

I think I would be at least pulling the clutch cover and initially push / pull on the clutch itself, checking for any slop. Then pull the plates and check the retaining nut underneath.

You could have issue much deeper but the above mentioned items, especially the chain/sprockets, wear slow over time. They may look fine but isn't .

Better yet, can you do any audio / VIDEO (with the help of a friend) with the side, front sprocket cover OFF (did you check the sprocket and nut visually and tighten with a torque wrench?) .

It would be much easier to diagnose being able to see and hear, especially the sprocket/chain area's.

Not to beat a dead horse, but a bad drive chain can be heard and felt thru the footpegs

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, thats a new noise here on the forum..

If you hold the rear brake solidly on, engine running, will it still make the clunks?

If the rear break is on then no noise appears- rear wheel is blocked so how could this sound be produced? :) This sound is linked to the transmission.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't know 100% its in the transmission.

I don't think your entertaining all the more likely possibilities but jumping straight into the gear box. (To my knowledge, the hub / wheel bearings, chain still hasn't been checked). Rolling the throttle on and off in gear, your spinning the CHAIN / rear wheel, hub, etc.

If it doesn't make the noise with the rear wheel locked up, it may very well be wheel / chain related. If you don't want to rule those out, (also as other very knowledgable members have asked) then I'm out of idea's.

Pull the gearbox out and start checking.

It may very well be in there, short of a tramatic issue (blown up clutch, etc) the FZ box is pretty stout...

Good luck..

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Tomorrow at 10am of my time (UTC+1) I have an appointment with a mechanic. Looking forward the results :)

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely :) I see no other option, heheh. Unless he tightens sth and the bike gets cured- then I am gonna spend entire weekend riding :D

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Bikes are simple LOL And Fazers have opinion of booletproof and undestroyable motorcycles. I still believe it will be fine.

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL, bike is fine. It is just me expecting too much, hehe. Ratteling is probably because Maltese streets are full of dust and other things stiking to lubed chain. Clunk is normal for Yamahas, moreover he told me that Hornets have the same clunk since Honda installed fuel injection to them. Clutch works perfectly, chain slack ok, bearings ok, front sprocket nut tight, rear sprocket rubbers tight.
I hope I will not start a new thread about further issiues.
Thanks all for your help :)

Last edited:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL, bike is fine. It is just me expecting too much, hehe. Ratteling is probably because Maltese streets are full of dust and other things stiking to lubed chain. Clunk is normal for Yamahas, moreover he told me that Hornets have the same clunk since Honda installed fuel injection to them. Clutch works perfectly, chain slack ok, bearings ok, front sprocket nut tight, rear sprocket rubbers tight.
I hope I will not start a new thread about further issiues.
Thanks all for your help :)

Listen to a dry clutch Ducati and there will be no new threads about odd noises.

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hahaha, actually Monsters are very popular in my area. When they stop on the traffic lights it sounds like a jar full of nails was shaken. I suppose I'd never be able to own such bike :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ After hearing your actual bike make "the sound" ((https://soundcloud.com/pawe-rzedzicki-1/sounds-fz6)), that is NOT normal in my book. Certainly not for this bike.

IMO - something is up. I'm sure others can attest that their bikes do not make that kind of sound.
- clunk into gear from N = Yes
- almost a bang on the 1 -> 2 if rider makes LAZZY HALF HEARTED SHIFT = Yes however the norm is NO.
- vibration sound = NO, not normal

You ever do clutchless shifts up or down? Does it do it then when Rev matched? I'd suspect NO as there is little load if done right.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ After hearing your actual bike make "the sound" ((https://soundcloud.com/pawe-rzedzicki-1/sounds-fz6)), that is NOT normal in my book. Certainly not for this bike.

IMO - something is up. I'm sure others can attest that their bikes do not make that kind of sound.
- clunk into gear from N = Yes
- almost a bang on the 1 -> 2 if rider makes LAZZY HALF HEARTED SHIFT = Yes however the norm is NO.
- vibration sound = NO, not normal

Agreed 100% ^^^, it is not normal.

It'll get worse with time and eventually show itself when, whatever is failing, lets go fully...

But the "mechanic" said its good, so time will tell..:eek:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to the previous two posts!

I would not trust the "it's normal, they are all like that!"

I have never heard a clung like that coming from my bike, and if it was mine i would definitely look into it.